Old 01-18-2021, 05:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,856 Times in 1,032 Posts
Default Will we ever see another McBeth or Pierce?

Will we ever see another McBeth or Pierce....in regards to skill separation / domination at the top?

I think we're at an interesting point in disc golf, where it's possible we could see a plethora of players with the skill set of McBeth & Pierce rising up through the ranks.

We've had a flood of kids starting very early on who are now in their late teens or so, probably having to decide between college or playing in the pro tour. It's going to be even more competitive as the sport attracts a more diverse talent pool as the money grows. We all realize the young guns are learning how to throw 400ft+ before they learn how to make a 30ft putt. I literally saw a young woman throwing 300+ the other day, her father said she just likes throwing and has no intention of competing.

Just seems like the sport has the possibility of a talent convergence of sorts, resulting in more players with a similar skill set. "Down to the wire" may be common place on the pro tour. Great for the sport, but we may be witnessing the end of an era for the sport where a single player has the obvious skill set to dominate.

Looking at the current (and up and coming) players can anyone think of a single player (mpo/fpo) that has a realistic chance at being a 5X+ World Champion?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 243 Times in 139 Posts

Since the field is smaller there's clearly a much longer window of opportunity in FPO. I still think there is ample opportunity there for players who may not have even started playing yet. Not only is the player field still developing, the courses they are set is continuing to develop, offering challenges that fit better with the FPO game.

I get the impression that serious off-season training, sport-specific workouts and good quality intentional practice is still an area of development across the sport and until the sport settles on a few 'best in class' approaches to that part of the game I think there is potential for improved skill and dominance even in MPO. I suspect some of these regimes are out there already, but are they embedded, conformed to and widely used?

I think Kyle Klein looks impressive and I'm intrigued to see what Ezra Aderhold's approach to body shape and athleticism will do for results for both him and those who may follow.

I also think there's a lot of space for players with a next-level mental game (the kind that McBeth has/had). If you can still get podium positions with an average to poor mental game (which I'd posit is currently the case) a player that combines good practice, great skill and a McBeth mental game could still come along and dominate.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:28 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 243 Times in 139 Posts

It makes me think this is an interesting question: Is Paige Pierce more like the Ken Climo or the Paul McBeth of FPO?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:32 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 4
Niced 644 Times in 276 Posts

I think every sport asks this question, people say that it will never happen because competition is deeper, and then in future decades a Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods pops up.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,238 Times in 1,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrosscrx View Post
I think every sport asks this question, people say that it will never happen because competition is deeper, and then in future decades a Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods pops up.
yep...inevitable.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,814 Times in 1,076 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

No there never will be.
This is the greatest, bestest time for disc golf and it's all down hill from here.

We all know there will NEVER be another Brodie.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 21
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

I think Hailey King has a chance at being a multi x champion. She’s got all the skills to do it, just a matter of time.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-18-2021, 10:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 116
Niced 337 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugular View Post
It makes me think this is an interesting question: Is Paige Pierce more like the Ken Climo or the Paul McBeth of FPO?
I think Climo, who won 49% of events entered. Paige has won 47%.
McBeth is sitting on 38%, but is facing much stiffer competition...

Niced: (3)
Old 01-18-2021, 11:14 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,706 Times in 1,063 Posts

There will be, we just won’t know until it’s already happened.

I feel like Hayley, Evolina, Kyle Klein have a chance to be that dominant but who knows?

Old 01-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 45
Niced 44 Times in 18 Posts

On the upside, that will only mean greater disc golf in the future to watch.