Old 09-28-2020, 12:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts
Default The course vs the practice field

I video'd two throws this weekend.

One was in my backyard throwing into a tarp. I've been watching HUB's Mikal videos over and over as a result of the recent Stupid One Leg. What i think I saw: not perfect, but mostly on the plant leg, mostly dragging the back foot as the disc came forward, opening not as delayed as I'd like but better than it was, arm on plane with shoulders, disc in line with forearm.

The other was on hole 15 at Pharaoh's Tomb, because i screwed it up last time I played, hit a tree that we thought was unreachable. It's an easy hole, only 200 feet, even I usually get a 2 or a 3, but you throw over a ravine and if you hit a tree it's probably a 6 if you can even find your disc. I saw: throwing completely off the back leg, right shoulder hunched up to the ear, arm collapsing towards chest, early opening, high reachback, nose up, disc path at sharp angle to shoulder plane. Basically all possible faults in a one second video, and yes i hit a tree and bounced it into the ravine. I was lucky to get a 4.

So the question is how can I more consistently transfer field work insights to the actual course?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2020, 12:33 PM
Par Member

Niced 32 Times in 17 Posts

The moment that you focus on the result (i.e. where the disc goes), you lose focus on the technique and your body automatically does its best to use the muscle memory that it already has in order to try to achieve that result that you are focusing on. This means that in order to transfer good technique from the practice field to the course, you either need to be totally uncaring about the result (which is difficult to do, especially on a high risk hole like that) or stick to the practice field until your muscle memory for the correct technique is stronger than the muscle memory for the old technique.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.8
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,803 Times in 1,070 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

I have never done field work as most people describe. Throwing in an open field to me is boring and no help. Golf courses are not wide open.

My field work is done on courses when I play alone. 3 or 4 off each tee will teach you more than any open field field work, imo.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:06 PM
Par Member

Niced 170 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I have never done field work as most people describe. Throwing in an open field to me is boring and no help. Golf courses are not wide open.

My field work is done on courses when I play alone. 3 or 4 off each tee will teach you more than any open field field work, imo.
This is what I am finding also. Now that I have somewhat of a correct form, simply throwing in a field is a bit too...open. I find it difficult to maintain any actual stakes when throwing in a field. Visualizing a result and judging how far off you were is just so much easier when you have an actual hole to throw at. It just removes the tendency to think most of my shots are 'decent', when they really weren't lol.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 322 Times in 186 Posts

In the field, I can spend an hour trying different shot styles to get to the same target. On the course, I can throw four into the ravine and spend an hour retrieving. I like to go to a field with some trees, which give opportunity for shot shapes without risk of spending more time searching than throwing.

As a new player, a wide open field is very useful to me for throwing repeatedly until I start to feel the hit/snap/brace. I wrestle throws for the first 20 minutes until the ‘a-ha’ moment returns, and then I can work on hitting lines, or discovering lines, with each disc.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:50 PM
Captain Oblivous!

Niced 71 Times in 60 Posts

90 percent of my disc golf fun happens in the fieldwork. Playing on the course is the application of all the practice. I have tried both ways and have found that fieldwork is the best for learning because I'm not bound to any outside factor such as players behind me or watching me, or losing discs, etc. I can get 10-15 out and just throw them one after the other. I have also found that repetition does more for control than a few throws off each tee pad on the course. There are times when I will go on the course to a particular hole and just throw for an hour or two on that one hole.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 25 Times in 19 Posts

I try to video the drive on #18 at Ecoff (Goyne Park). It's kind of a tradition when we play there, usually we play a different course.

Looking at yesterday's video, I take one practice swing looking like I'm getting to the front leg, and then throw looking like I'm planted on the back leg. I got all of it though, way down the fairway. And actually across the fairway to the right and into the woods, I don't normally have the range to do that, so I'm making progress.

I would like my drive to be closer to my practice swing!

Old 10-05-2020, 02:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 103
Niced 226 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post

You're probably just going about it all wrong.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-05-2020, 02:56 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 42
Niced 1,343 Times in 666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDeO View Post
90 percent of my disc golf fun happens in the fieldwork. Playing on the course is the application of all the practice. I have tried both ways and have found that fieldwork is the best for learning because I'm not bound to any outside factor such as players behind me or watching me, or losing discs, etc. I can get 10-15 out and just throw them one after the other. I have also found that repetition does more for control than a few throws off each tee pad on the course. There are times when I will go on the course to a particular hole and just throw for an hour or two on that one hole.
Why do you waste everyone's time on here asking for but not listening to their good advice?

Sounds like you have it figured out

Old 10-05-2020, 03:34 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 386 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy42b View Post
The other was on hole 15 at Pharaoh's Tomb, because i screwed it up last time I played, hit a tree that we thought was unreachable. It's an easy hole, only 200 feet, even I usually get a 2 or a 3, but you throw over a ravine and if you hit a tree it's probably a 6 if you can even find your disc.
This has nothing to do with your throw but rather regarding using the rules to your advantage. You could always re-tee throwing 3 rather than throw 2 from the bottom of the ravine trying to save a 6.

Regarding your throw, when you make change to your throwing style it will always take multiple trips to field and course to adapt the new changes. They don't happen overnight.