Old 10-20-2020, 03:50 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 372 Times in 177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Note: I said the Commentator can be helpful to provide context to "set up" the throw, i.e., before the shot. If they need to comment during the shot, it might as well be radio, especially when they are looking at the same video feed as the viewers.
Got it, I agree with that distinction.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 76 Times in 39 Posts

This format was intense

Niced: (1)
Old 10-20-2020, 05:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 212
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 281 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
Also, final thought. I mentioned this to a commentator. Blows my mind they didn't talk about it. In 2010 the Carolina Clash was an NT. Climo, Ulibari, Feldberg and Locastro final card. I was carrying the leaderboard and saw the best throw I've ever seen. 17 back then was same tee and slightly shorter basket right (20ft right and left). Fairway was 15ft wide, 100% shule either side, not cleared out like we have made it sense to 20ft off fairway. Ulibari threw a Star Destroyer, did a KJ fall off the box. His disc pured the fairway, flared up the hill and hit a spectator standing by the pipe. He had a jump putt for double eagle and took an eagle on the hole. Uli somehow doesn't remember that shot 10 years ago and they kept saying it was only eagled once in tournament play even though like 40 people witnessed Uli do it in the 2010 clash. Anyways, it is interesting to see the inside and then watch the coverage.
Had a chance to watch Uli and Big Jerm's practice round at HN on Jomez. Pretty incredible to see Uli eagle #17 (yes I know, it wasn't a tournament round), even putting from behind the basket.
Funny, Big Jerm had the same look on his face whenever someone on his card goes 2 under on a hole!!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 122
Niced 3,221 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty View Post

I could see an argument for bringing back Final 9s in some form.
10000 times yes.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 307
Niced 245 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I have nothing to do with the ESPN content but... My best guess is if you have 88 minutes of airtime...

10-15% will be "How we got here"
5-10% will be player bios and features/interviews
75% will be disc golf (split evenly between FPO & MPO)

So, that is about 30 minutes for each division. My guess is that you see maybe 6-7 holes of each division. And it probably won't include every player. You probably won't see much of Hannum & Heimburg after the first 2 holes or so.

As for wooded golf. It is very difficult for us to film. If it is heavily wooded, I tend to use the throw camera more because they are usually directly behind the thrower and can see down the fairway. Cutting to the catch cam is disorienting in those scenarios, and I try to do it as late as possible. I would love to integrate something like the old school USDGC Dots into our broadcast for the really wooded courses, it would give the viewer a better perspective of where each player lands sometimes.

But, live flight tracking software is not really possible for disc golf. Those systems are crazy expensive, and they require a stationary camera and only work from one direction. So it would be useful in very few situations.
Close, but dont worry, all 8 players will get plenty of air time. They are going to do a good job I think. We will have things to nitpick and I think they will probably do a lot of horn tooting for the tour but overall, you'll get a good condensed product you can be happy to watch for 2 hours and share with people you know that you want to get interested in disc golf. They have a viewer goal about 20% higher than that normal time slot, so share share share. Help grow our sport.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 307
Niced 245 Times in 108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmay5 View Post
Had a chance to watch Uli and Big Jerm's practice round at HN on Jomez. Pretty incredible to see Uli eagle #17 (yes I know, it wasn't a tournament round), even putting from behind the basket.
Funny, Big Jerm had the same look on his face whenever someone on his card goes 2 under on a hole!!
I should have mentioned in my final thought. hole 17 I mentioned was from Hornet's nest. So Uli eagled the same hole (but harder because of no usable rough in 2010 and he doesn't remember and Jeremy acted like it had never been done even though I told him his co-host did it in 2010, lol. I guess it is all for the excitement of the broadcast, but makes me wonder what else they neglect to say when they get super excited about throws at other tour events.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:28 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 18
Niced 88 Times in 49 Posts

I felt so bad for Kat Allen after watching her give away the tourney on 17 last night. She was putting as good as I have seen her putt in a long time.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 20
Niced 1,849 Times in 1,027 Posts

I know. Felt bad as well, but that's when consulting the scores, caddy, something... to let her know a bogie would have been just fine.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:08 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 215
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 80 Times in 26 Posts

I'm not sure which is worse- listening to Jerm comment on a card that he's playing in, or commenting on a course that he is uniquely involved with. He has a ton of good info, stories, decent jokes occasionally, but just comes off way too cocky/know-it-all/D-baggish that it can get to me midway through a round.
If he's on the card then it turns into an explanation of everything he does.
In the practice matches he comes off as a jerk in general.
If Uli says something in commentary, Jerm feels the need to clarify.
Dude WE GET IT- youve played the course before.

The FPO side seemed a little cringy as well with Paige on the mic with the GK pro guy- who seemed to go above and beyond to mention his love for everything Paige does. OK you want to give props- Fine; but maybe dont go on a long spill about your love of Paige's upshots while several other throwers are throwing and then not discuss any of those throws.

Old 10-21-2020, 03:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 212
Niced 281 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reezyF View Post
I'm not sure which is worse- listening to Jerm comment on a card that he's playing in, or commenting on a course that he is uniquely involved with. He has a ton of good info, stories, decent jokes occasionally, but just comes off way too cocky/know-it-all/D-baggish that it can get to me midway through a round.
If he's on the card then it turns into an explanation of everything he does.
In the practice matches he comes off as a jerk in general.
If Uli says something in commentary, Jerm feels the need to clarify.
Dude WE GET IT- youve played the course before.
Then you would have loved Uli in the practice round when the two of them stepped onto the 18th tee, looks around, "Anyone else have a 3?"