Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Taking this game seriously

I have been playing for about 3 years now and really started to take this game seriously for about 4 months now. I am thinking of joining a local bag tag/disc golf club but i really don't understand a lot of the rules and do not have much experience other then teeing off, lay mini, throw, repeat, putt. I have never kept score and do not understand how to play thoroughly by the rules. I would like some interpretation of the rules and a basic over view of them. A few of my questions are about the 2 meter rule, 10 meter rule? and the basics of playing.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 08:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 45.7
Courses Played: 201
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 838 Times in 359 Posts

There are several threads on here discussing rules and a search feature also. Joining a league would be the best way to learn the rules, and not have to worry about it, as most of us are more than welcome to help.

Dam, did I just prerube somebody!?!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

League is the best thing that has happened to my game. Getting out there and playing with better players and seeing many different styles. yesterday at our regular thursday league i got put with the best player in memphis. he shot -10. it was an amazing round for him and i could feel myself feeding off of his energy. i shot one of my better rounds too.

so definately do it. its agreat way to meet people. therefore taking away that awkward "i dont know know anyone at this tournament" jitters.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Just join and watch what others do. I doubt they are super strict, at the most would just mention you did something wrong in a friendly manner.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 26.7
Courses Played: 386
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 13 Posts

take a look at the official rules on www.pdga.com

There is not a need to read them thoroughly until you decide to play a PDGA sanctioned event (which leagues are not). Skim through them and read the section headings and then read the ones that look interesting. It would take you less time to do that than for a person to type up a good response to your questions.

2M rule is only in effect if the Tournament Director declares it. If it is in effect you get a penalty throw added to your score if your disc comes to rest more than 2M above the playing surface. You mark your disc directly below where it is resting and play from there.

10M rule is for putting. If you are <10M to the basket, you must maintain/demonstrate balance behind your mark before moving away after your putt. This is to eliminate jump-putting too close to the basket.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

And its pretty hard to do something wrong. Most of it is common sense. Don't talk when other people throw, don't litter, whomever is farthest out throws 1st, etc. No big deal.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 66
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

It's worth skimming the PDGA rule handbook and perhaps even getting a copy to carry around if you are really "taking this game seriously". It's not a particularly tough read, and if there is some uncertainty you can consult the rules. You might want to just join the league first and learn how they play, then read the PDGA handbook to see the other odds and ends that don't come up regularly.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah its all fairly simple... just play with people that know, and you'll generally pick it up really quickly. As long as they're not super anal about stupid stuff and try to make you feel bad when you don't know!! haha i've played with some of those.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 131
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Joining others will help alot. Find a mini/ group near you(probably someone on here knows details). And just play. You will learn by hanging out with others what goes and what doesn't. Play for money. Alot of people will say don't, but if you want to get serious you might as well start now. Even if it's skins, dots, overall, whatever; have something at stake. You will have stuff at stake if you start playing tourneys and if you do it early on it will help. Other then that enjoy, it is a great game and you can make some decent money down the road.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 PM
* Ace Member *

What state/area are you in. There's most likely someone on here thats in your nieghborhood.