Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default No Excuses Disc Golf: Dispelling the Mystery

Out of all the companies that make bags, No Excuses seems to be one of the mostÖmysterious? Unknown? Frustratingly uninformed? However you perceive them, or if youíve never heard of them at all, I wanted to open this thread and share some experiences and viewpoints that Iíve had in dealing with them.

The first part of this thread is going to be purely who No Excuses are and what it is they do. My backpack is currently being made and once it hits my door Iíll be happy to post pictures, reviews, and course evaluations.

A lot of people know the general concept behind No Excuses. They make custom bags. That comes with some pros and cons. Whether their business is right for your money is something youíll have to decide on your own. They do have a few standard bag builds. If you go with one of those, you get to choose two colors and it will run you about the same as a Grip or a Mahal. Then you get to decide what kind of customization you want. That can range from embroidery to patches to extra pockets/storage. The biggest unknown people seem to have on these forums is what those options do to the price. I canít quote you prices, but I can say from experience adding stuff wonít skyrocket your bag up to $500.00. It all depends on what you want and if you think itís worth it.

One of the unique benefits of having a No Excuses bag is Davidís Pill Pocket design. Itís a bottle holder, storage pocket, and mini/pencil pocket all in one. The pocket is actually built around a bottle holder, similar to how the large Prodiscus backpack operates. He also builds the putter pocket to the depth you want, which is cool. If you like 3-putter pockets you can have one, 2 putter pockets, he even told me he could measure it for 2 or 3 drivers if you like having go-to drivers in a putter pocket.

Every bag is built by hand. Thatís going to be a pro or a con depending on your viewpoint. The bottom line is, itís going to take time. 4-6 weeks is an average turnaround time for a backpack to get built. That being said, they are very involved in the process. I had a long phone conversation with David regarding exactly what I wanted. He seemed very dedicated to getting everything down. A couple of years ago, I think his focus on this side of the business was a bit lacking. I know of a couple people who had some less than ideal experiences with not quite getting what they asked for. At least in my experience, I can say heís kept in touch with me each step to make sure itís all done and nothing is forgotten. Of course, the final word on that will be once I get the backpack.

They also donít have a website. All his business is word of mouth and Facebook. I believe No Excuses shies away from the website route because websites are for retail. If you go onto the Grip website, or the Voodoo website, you click on what bag you want and select ďBUY.Ē And thatís not how No Excuses runs. They seem to be satisfied with their Facebook traffic and the business they pull in. I only mention this because some people had expressed wariness about a company that only operates off Facebook. I havenít had any issues or concerns with this.

Theyíre definitely a niche option. Iíve built a dozen or so DIY bags and enjoyed them all. And I got away from paying the premium for a Grip or a Contender because they werenít quite designed for how I play and what I need. So I made the decision that I had saved enough going the DIY route and selling them to justify undertaking this project. So far, Iím pleased with the process. Iím looking forward to owning a backpack that is uniquely mine. Youíll have to decide if itís a route youíd be interested in going. Iím not trying to actively promote No Excuses. Iím not trying to funnel business their way. Iím just sharing my experience because they donít have a voice on here. And I think they are a unique enough operation to warrant solid information being out there.

A small aside: David liked the direction I was looking to take with my bag. I didnít quite reinvent anything he already does. I just re-organized some features to create a new version. Heís decided to make it into a new base model. Itís been named the Game Changer. Itís going to be sleeker and focused more on disc selection and convenience than carrying around the kitchen sink. Once itís been finalized, it can be ordered as a regular base model with the 2-color option for a base price. And you can still customize it how you want. I donít want to get into just describing the features/organization here. Iíd like to wait until I can illustrate everything with the actual bag. And then I can also speak to the quality of the bag as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 31
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

http://noexcusesdiscgolf.wordpress.com

They do have a website, and there wouldn't be a mystery to dispel if their site had some basic information.

In other words: they should take a serious look at updating their site. Some really basic additions and changes could do a world of good.

Or they should take it down and just point the thing at their Facebook page - but a Facebook page is a LOUSY stand-in for a basic site.

Last edited by iacas; 07-31-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 24
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

or at least spell the father of disc golfs name even close to correct??????

Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

No excuses for poor spelling too I guess.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 18
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Dang, tough crowd. I like the idea of custom bags made to customer specs, but I do feel like they should utilize their website. Maybe that's cause I refuse to use Facebook. just my opinion. If its working for them then great bit I think the website makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 160
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

I agree that putting all their effort into Facebook is leaving a lot of business on the table. Majority of my male friends avoid Facebook as much as possible.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 544
Niced 120 Times in 62 Posts

Website might bring in more traffic than he can handle. Seems like this isn't a full time job, but rather an extra source of cash flow. Just a thought though. Kool idea though.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Not an excuse, but I will say from dealing with him, English is not his first language. Some of our text conversations take some translating. I won't deny his business presentation could take some work. But I also think he's happy enough with his current volume. He did say he wouldn't turn away more, lol
Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM
AKA dgfanatic7

Niced 239 Times in 148 Posts

The company is a one man operation like Gorilla Boy as well isn't it?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfanatic7 View Post
The company is a one man operation like Gorilla Boy as well isn't it?
There's a few guys there, but it is a small operation. But like Gorilla Boy all the bags are made in house.