Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 201
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

In theory, but we are dealing with flying disc toys, not airplanes or jet fighters. Your results will definitely vary.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like everyone agrees this is flashing. Just to confirm - flashing is not part of the intended shape of the disc, correct? The disc was engineered to fly and the flight numbers attempt to describe the disc without the flashing?
There definately have been some releases where the factory flight numbers matched the flight with the flash still on, and change dramatically when the flash is removed.

the first run havocs are the best example of this. Lots of fade with flash. Nothing but turn without flash.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:41 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46YearOldSlinger View Post
Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like everyone agrees this is flashing. Just to confirm - flashing is not part of the intended shape of the disc, correct? The disc was engineered to fly and the flight numbers attempt to describe the disc without the flashing?
Flashing itself is not a design feature. Its the result from the process and shouldn't be there.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 12
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just sand it smooth until it isn't sharp and leave as much as I can without it cutting my finger.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 83 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Flashing itself is not a design feature. Its the result from the process and shouldn't be there.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to confirm before removing

I was kinda inferring this from some posts but wanted real clarity before potentially damaging a disc. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:58 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

I always do this first thing on a tee pad etc with a new disc.. its only a matter of time before it wears off anyways and the disc will fly like THAT the majority of its life. Its crazy how much a little bit of flashing can impact a disc stability off the shelf. Wearing a little of the "glossiness" down also I feel helps discs fly more true to their intended flights. Fresh premium plastic is esstentially "faster" than a beat up scuffed or baseline disc due to less surface resistance.

IMO a disc in premium plastic is never really damaged until its got a hole or crack through it.. best discs I've thrown were great seasoned premi plastic. Look like hell but fly amazaingggg'
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 121
Niced 83 Times in 52 Posts

So this has been pretty well answered but I thought I'd share the answer I got directly from Lat64. I emailed them before posting here but received my answer afterwards.

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for showing an interest in our products.
If you mean what I think you mean it is a small flashing that comes out where two mold parts meet. So it is not a bead that is part of the design. Keeping it makes the discs slightly more overstable when new (as any bead does). In my experience it wears of pretty fast from normal wear and tear as it is so thin.

I hope that answers your question. If not please elaborate and I will try again.

Thanks,

Svante Eriksson
Sales Manager
Latitude 64

After removing the flashing from my Rivers and Saints they fly MUCH better and longer. With both of these I can throw flat and straight at the target. I get a little turn and a little fade but it averages out to just about dead center for both discs. I think the River may be becoming my favorite driver off the tee replacing my long time favorite Valks. I know the Valk is "supposed" to be longer but I get the same distance with my Rivers with less lateral movement. Loving me some Rivers. Saints are sweet too but the Rivers are just so consistent and reliable for the easy distance they provide. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

excellent customer service.