#131  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,955
Niced 1,707 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
As far as band vs no band, I don't see much of a difference in how they catch. Obviously there's a few inches of metal above the assembly on the banded baskets, and many of the others have tall number things attached to those. Those affect discs going right above the basket, but now how it catches.
I see the cross chain baskets (Mach X, Prodigy) to be very different front the regular chains. This seems much more drastic to me. It takes a heavier putt to push in the chains on the cross chains, light putts can glance off. As a push putter I really notice this. We've got two nine hole courses in town, one with Discatchers and one with Prodigy, and I can really tell the difference on them. Yes, you don't get the putts that go diagonal and slide through the chains n the Prodigys, but that's really not something that happens to me much on the discatchers. But the guys that really fire hard into the basket likely feel different than me.
But I generally feel as comfortable on the DGA style baskets as I do the Discatchers when I play them. And I'm generally comfortable on the Prodigys, I've played them enough now to change my putting style on them and put a bit more on the putts.
I agree with this. Any style is the same for everyone in the tournament. Slight adjustments could be needed based on putting style, but adjusting shots to fit a course or tournament is part of the game.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 12-13-2016, 11:42 AM
DavidSauls's Avatar
DavidSauls DavidSauls is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Newberry, SC
Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Posts: 15,166
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
I love the dome topped baskets at Earlewood in SC- skips off the top go a mile.
As it should.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM
ScottyLove ScottyLove is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 221
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,290
Niced 57 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
LOVE THESE TARGETS! Russ Burns does amazing hand-crafted work. It's nearly impossible to hit the pole on these as Russ uses a much heavier gauge chain. So you do get what I call true spit outs with softer putts as they something don't go far enough into the trap.

He is consideration a modification I recommended of lighter gauge on the outside and heavier on the inside which should appease those that say you have to putt too hard at a Monkey Trap to get it to stick.

Definitely the basket of choice in the region and what I use for practice at the office.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Consult20's Avatar
Consult20 Consult20 is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,447
Niced 345 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
I'm confused, is the Mach II innova or DGA.

And which came first, the patent or in the field modifications? Just curious if anyone knows.
The Mach II is DGA, as are all the Mach baskets.

Ed filed for the dual chain patent, as JC alluded to, after determining smaller diameter discs were causing pole bounce outs and blow throughs with the existing single chain row setup at the time. The patent applications are great reading! Here's an excerpt from the Mach II patent application:


Entrapment devices for use in the game and which are designed to capture a disc which impacts a post are known in the prior art. See, for example, U.S. Pat. No. 4,039,189 (of which I am a co-inventor). The device disclosed in this patent includes a post with an inverted basket mounted on the post, and a group of chains (8 or more) with the upper ends thereof mounted above the basket in a circle and the lower ends extending into the basket. The device described in the above patent, while functioning very satisfactorily with large, lightweight discs (e.g., 23 centimeters or more in diameter and about 100 grams in weight), does not always capture discs which are smaller and heavier. Smaller and heavier discs, for example, having a diameter of 21 centimeters (cm) and a weight up to 175 grams, when thrown travel faster and farther than the large, lightweight discs. For this reason the smaller, heavier discs have become very popular for use in the game. However, it has been observed that a disc of 21 cm diameter and weighing approximately 175 grams has enough kinetic energy to separate the chains, hit the post of the prior art device and bounce back several feet or separate the chains, miss the post and exit through the chains on the other side. In either event the entrapment device does not capture the disc and the unlucky player's score will be greater than it should be.


https://www.google.com/patents/US4461484

Last edited by Consult20; 12-13-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:36 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consult20 View Post
The Mach II is DGA, as are all the Mach baskets.

Ed filed for the dual chain patent, as JC alluded to, after determining smaller diameter discs were causing pole bounce outs and blow throughs with the existing single chain row setup at the time. The patent applications are great reading! Here's an excerpt from the Mach II patent application:


Entrapment devices for use in the game and which are designed to capture a disc which impacts a post are known in the prior art. See, for example, U.S. Pat. No. 4,039,189 (of which I am a co-inventor). The device disclosed in this patent includes a post with an inverted basket mounted on the post, and a group of chains (8 or more) with the upper ends thereof mounted above the basket in a circle and the lower ends extending into the basket. The device described in the above patent, while functioning very satisfactorily with large, lightweight discs (e.g., 23 centimeters or more in diameter and about 100 grams in weight), does not always capture discs which are smaller and heavier. Smaller and heavier discs, for example, having a diameter of 21 centimeters (cm) and a weight up to 175 grams, when thrown travel faster and farther than the large, lightweight discs. For this reason the smaller, heavier discs have become very popular for use in the game. However, it has been observed that a disc of 21 cm diameter and weighing approximately 175 grams has enough kinetic energy to separate the chains, hit the post of the prior art device and bounce back several feet or separate the chains, miss the post and exit through the chains on the other side. In either event the entrapment device does not capture the disc and the unlucky player's score will be greater than it should be.


https://www.google.com/patents/US4461484
You wrote that Dave D. had the patent, that's what caused the confusion. It seemed as if he, DD, made the leveled edge disc, then filed a patent for a device that could better catch it by your post. Of course, I may still not understand?
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:39 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

On the other hand, it is clear that Ed was thinking about the mods introduced, and bounce outs. But that should not come as a surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 12-13-2016, 01:42 PM
lyleoross's Avatar
lyleoross lyleoross is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Posts: 4,914
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts
Default

That also leaves unanswered, did Ed have the idea, or did it occur organically on courses, and he was just savvy enough to drop a patent on the idea?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 12-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Consult20's Avatar
Consult20 Consult20 is online now
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,447
Niced 345 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
You wrote that Dave D. had the patent, that's what caused the confusion. It seemed as if he, DD, made the leveled edge disc, then filed a patent for a device that could better catch it by your post. Of course, I may still not understand?
Oh sorry, yeah that was a mistake! Crap I wish I could edit to fix that, thanks for pointing that out though.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 12-13-2016, 02:37 PM
GMcAtee GMcAtee is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 520
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 314
Niced 153 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyKShort View Post
As far as band vs no band, I don't see much of a difference in how they catch. Obviously there's a few inches of metal above the assembly on the banded baskets, and many of the others have tall number things attached to those. Those affect discs going right above the basket, but now how it catches.
I see the cross chain baskets (Mach X, Prodigy) to be very different front the regular chains. This seems much more drastic to me. It takes a heavier putt to push in the chains on the cross chains, light putts can glance off. As a push putter I really notice this. We've got two nine hole courses in town, one with Discatchers and one with Prodigy, and I can really tell the difference on them. Yes, you don't get the putts that go diagonal and slide through the chains n the Prodigys, but that's really not something that happens to me much on the discatchers. But the guys that really fire hard into the basket likely feel different than me.
But I generally feel as comfortable on the DGA style baskets as I do the Discatchers when I play them. And I'm generally comfortable on the Prodigys, I've played them enough now to change my putting style on them and put a bit more on the putts.
The kids all fire their putts in a 100mph. So Prodigy is all the rage. I'd rather putt on the homemade baskets at my local course and listen to the kids gripe about them and 3 putt.
Reply With Quote
 

  #140  
Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Lazerface Lazerface is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Courses Played: 5
Posts: 828
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
well lile, i would say to reduce random outcomes primarily.

I remember reading somewhere years ago that Headrick was attempting to replicate throwing a disc to a person when he designed the polehole. Don't you want that guy to catch the darn thing?
Random Outcomes is the key here. If it were as simple as "adjust your putt" for a Chainstar that would be one thing, but what Dana and other pros are getting at, IMO, is that the spit out margin is too narrow to expect a player to "adjust" their style. In my experience Chainstars spit putts that would of otherwise stayed in if the putt would have entered the chain assembly less than an inch all 4 ways (up, down, left, right). So, these spit outs are not something the player can reasonably overcome once you get past 20 feet or so, and therefore, create random outcomes, which is what you want to minimize in competition as much as possible.

It's the same logic with fairways in the woods. A 6 foot gap 250 FT down a fairway is bad. On the surface, it's fair, because you just have to "hit the gap", but any good player knows that is just a crap shoot kind of shot.

Titans should be on the list fo sho though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steve Dodge hosts DGPT's Pro Tour Talk w/Holly Finley & A.J. Risley holly7845 General Disc Golf Chat 14 03-10-2018 12:25 AM
2017 DGPT Tour Championship brutalbrutus Tournaments & Leagues 192 11-02-2017 02:46 PM
DGPT: 2017 Pro Tour Championship DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 8 12-11-2016 11:16 PM
DGPT: 2017 Pro Tour Cards DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 9 09-08-2016 10:23 AM
DGPT: Host a Pro Tour House Party: Win a DGPT Zuca Cart! DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 2 09-07-2016 01:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.