Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,197 Times in 557 Posts

Just give them the Skeeter.

Bring the Swan with in case they want to try an actual putter for putting.

They will have a much better time with one disc at first.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestateflyer View Post
Keep it simple. Any time I take first time players to the course we all play with a Judge.
I like that idea as well.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 878 Times in 521 Posts

If I could redo alot of things, for my own game and for turning on new players to the game. I would make everyone on the card use understable putters or perhaps understable mid ranges.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Years Playing: 3.8
Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

I'll throw in some contrary advice, consider a high speed or overstable driver. Or at least let them try yours on an appropriate hole. I started out with a challenger, buzzz, and Nuke SS. Obviously the Nuke SS was too much for me backhand, but it was awesome for forehand drives and tomahawks. I played baseball growing up so when I was told how to forehand it was pretty awesome to rip a flex shot with that nuke out almost 300 ft. I would say that is what hooked me

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Old 02-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I'll throw in some contrary advice, consider a high speed or overstable driver. Or at least let them try yours on an appropriate hole. I started out with a challenger, buzzz, and Nuke SS. Obviously the Nuke SS was too much for me backhand, but it was awesome for forehand drives and tomahawks. I played baseball growing up so when I was told how to forehand it was pretty awesome to rip a flex shot with that nuke out almost 300 ft. I would say that is what hooked me

I am certain that at some point he will want to throw some of the discs we are throwing. If so, yeah, I'll give him my Leo or Avenger SS or Saint to try out. No harm. As long as he is enjoying himself. I will definitely get him to try a few forehands with an OS/stable disc. He might be a natural at that; I'm certainly not
Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 29
Niced 208 Times in 131 Posts

The first time I played was with a bunch of guys who all had multiple discs. They gave me a JLS as my only disc to use. They were throwing twice as fr as I was, and complaining and fighting with each other the whole time. It was not a fun experience for me, so I didn't play again for several years.

The next time I played, another friend tool my wife and I out to a short 9 hole course. He gave me a JLS, gave my wife a DX Valk, and he brought along just 1 disc for himself. I think it was a beat Surge SS. He was way better than us, of course, but it was so much more fun to have someone play at our pace and just have fun with us. I highly recommend you do the same when bringing in newbies.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3
Niced 217 Times in 144 Posts

Quote:
I'll throw in some contrary advice, consider a high speed or overstable driver. Or at least let them try yours on an appropriate hole.
I've been to the course recently. My own bag includes only one driver, a Teebird (7/5/0/2), which I'm currently learning to handle. Some other guy offered me to give his Tern (12/6/-2/2) a try. Had no fun with it.

Quote:
Obviously the Nuke SS was too much for me backhand, but it was awesome for forehand drives and tomahawks. I played baseball growing up so when I was told how to forehand it was pretty awesome to rip a flex shot with that nuke out almost 300 ft. I would say that is what hooked me
For everyone there can be something else that motivates them, thus instead of forcing something onto new players, try to find out what might hook them. For example, I simply like to watch a nice thrown disc flying, this is the reason why I like throwing backhands most. But at the same time, because of my sports background, I'm quite good with overheads. Hence you might want to just show them the possibilities and then try to find out what they like to explore.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,208 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
Eliminate the choices, it isn't going to make all that much difference to the newbie anyway.

I'd go with one putter, one stable to understable mid and one slow fairway driver. Like:

Classic Blend Judge
Champ Mako3
DX Leopard

Or even knock it down to one disc, like maybe a Squall. It will still be fun for them and they won't have to worry about disc selection.
^This.
I would say to give them the 3. There's merit in Shmirtz's recommendation to give just the one mid, but Id say to let them see/feel feel how a driver, mid and putter differ as far as how they feel to hold, throw, and behave when thrown... plus if you're using a bagful, they're gonna feel like they should have more than one. Plus, you can get a feel for whether or not they're actually getting the different types of mold up to speed... or if they're not ready yet.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Niced 18 Times in 10 Posts

How'd it go?

Old 02-14-2017, 05:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Niced 147 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
How'd it go?

Lol. He never showed up. Left me a voicemail (which I got after the fact) about being super busy, etc. and really needing to sleep in on Saturday. No worries, though. It was super windy and my group played pretty terribly so the fewer witnesses to that, the better.