Old 03-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 50 Times in 29 Posts

My esp comet is understable, just got it not long ago. I think it is 167g. I hyzer flip it all the time and use it to get right often. I would rather play a round with 3 understable discs than 3 overstable ones. Hyzer flipping is so fun, backhand and forehand, it's such a fun way to get some extra distance.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2017, 11:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meillo View Post
But a beat-in Comet is understable, or?
Some are understable out of the box (tend to be flatter I believe), I've thrown fresh Z and ESP that would have a -1 turn on them. And some (with a shoulder generally) are true stable, handle the same power and just hold any angle. When beat they will just keep slowly turning during the whole flight but not burn...a very fun disc to throw and as long as fairway drivers at that point, maybe longer.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 499 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieDoobieDoo View Post
They are absolutely necessary to my game! As a LHBH thrower with a RH forehand, I need all of the understable discs I can find to turnover! I don't know what I'd do on a 230-270 dogleg left without my M4
Ding! Ding! Ding!
Me too!
LHBH and RHFH.
Pitiful, pitiful.
Me too.
Except my go-to u/s disc is a beat-up 2nd run ESP Comet.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

At what power percentage do you like a understable midrange to turn? I'm thinking about 70%, that'll give allot of play with angles and power and what the disc will be able to do.

*thrown flat of course

Just got a understable mid today I'll be throwing soon. Should be fun.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post
At what power percentage do you like a understable midrange to turn? I'm thinking about 70%, that'll give allot of play with angles and power and what the disc will be able to do.

*thrown flat of course

What are you testing?
Old 03-08-2017, 11:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,594 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iDiscGolf View Post

*thrown flat of course

Yeah that sounds about right. As long as you know when it should turn and don't try to "make" it turn on a touch shot. But that 70%ish range is nice so you can still throw some straight shots at the putter range but easier, and when you actually throw it with normal form you know it will pop up and never fade, or keep going right.

The best is actually when it *always* will turn, but will still never burn. I've thrown some Comets like that, that will always pop up, but can take a full power driver style throw and outdistance fairways while gliding right the whole way.

Don't be surprised if it takes some time to trust these shots too...

Niced: (1)
Old 03-08-2017, 11:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 34
Niced 344 Times in 216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder View Post
What are you testing?
Got a sweet Tursas today. Liked the color and the octopus stamp is pretty dope too imo.

Also have a axiom theory that I like for that shot too. Both the tursas and theory are both pretty fast too, kinda wish there was more a speed 4 mid/tweener us midrange feel disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Yeah that sounds about right. As long as you know when it should turn and don't try to "make" it turn on a touch shot. But that 70%ish range is nice so you can still throw some straight shots at the putter range but easier, and when you actually throw it with normal form you know it will pop up and never fade, or keep going right.

The best is actually when it *always* will turn, but will still never burn. I've thrown some Comets like that, that will always pop up, but can take a full power driver style throw and outdistance fairways while gliding right the whole way.

Don't be surprised if it takes some time to trust these shots too...
I throw hyzer flips and turnovers with fairway drivers, so I'm not new to the theory or idea necessarily. Partially because I'm not as proficient at sidearm drives. Alternatively, my sidearm upshot game is decent and I have been able to either turnover putters for that shot or flick sidearm discs either that are OS or on hyzer.

But I think I want to revisit this shot/disc stability for fun and challenge. I just realized recently that I haven't been utilizing the shot.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,208 Times in 533 Posts

Nice. Hope you like it.
If you can get over the rim, the Prodigy M5 is a fantastic understable mid. Probably falls a bit below your 70% power requirement as stated above, but I like mine a lot. (And I'm not a prodigy fan boy at all...it's their only disc in my bag.)