Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 60 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieDoobieDoo View Post
I think this idea is pretty cool. I can think of at 8-10 smaller parks in my neighborhood with room for 1, 2, or possibly even up to 5 or 6 or more baskets with 5-10+ surrounding tiles each, but no room to make even one real hole. Most have obstacles that could be used too. I understand this idea as it stands is for a single basket, but could be cool to make into "putting courses" where each basket can have X amount of tiles to serve like tees. Of course this only works if there is enough room, but could still work even in a very small area.

As it stands, IDK who the target audience would be. Young kids? New players? People looking to practice putting? I suppose all of the above, but doubt it would draw many of these groups in to play as a standalone basket in a tiny park.

Also, I hope for the sake of middle school gym teachers everywhere this is not intended for use in school gym classes! I can only imagine the chaos of 300 6th 7th and 8th graders chucking discs at each other from across the gym!
This is not the intended for gym class. PS most gym classes have well below 300 kids.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 106
Niced 225 Times in 106 Posts

I'm of the opinion this would be PERFECT for a gym class environment, no? Drewbie are you a teacher or something? I would think a teacher could at least control the class from whipping discs at each other, and the students would probably think the teacher is "cool" for finding a way to include disc golf. I would not shy away from marketing to schools by any means.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
I'm of the opinion this would be PERFECT for a gym class environment, no? Drewbie are you a teacher or something? I would think a teacher could at least control the class from whipping discs at each other, and the students would probably think the teacher is "cool" for finding a way to include disc golf. I would not shy away from marketing to schools by any means.

This will be another option for schools, along with what we already market for schools (School DiscGolfSet & School DiscGolfPark).

I should have said in my last post that, "I don't believe schools are the intended market, but it could work in schools".
Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 101
Niced 40 Times in 30 Posts

I know what JYLY and 1025 are but are Puttitikkaat and Pudotuspeli? Google came up blank with anything I could read.

How is a park supposed to keep any of the discs around for newbie to use. I see this as something good for a school / summer camp environment. And a good idea for practice baskets at existing courses. But how is a city park supposed to keep any of the discs around for non-DGers to try?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,041 Times in 853 Posts

There has been one basket standing in a park near here for at least 25 years and likely a bit more. I have never seen a single person using it. IMO this sort of thing will be good for somewhat structured environments (schools, camps, etc) but won't gain traction in a regular park setting.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 451 Times in 196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashiellx View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I read somewhere that ice hockey actually had the highest rate of concussions. Rugby and Gridiron Football aren't too far behind though.
My son played both rugby and ice hockey and concussions are frequent injuries in both sports.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 227
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
Yes, I'm a teacher aide. For the interests of DiscGolfPark I think they should certainly market to schools, especially those with huge numbers of students because these schools often have bigger budgets and get nicer, newer, odd/different equipment more frequently. Also, schools will need more than one basket to accommodate even a small gym class. You can't have entire gym of students standing around while they throw one maybe two at a time.

I just know that this unit would be the least favored of the curriculum for most gym teachers I've worked with. Either the kids line up and throw at the basket one at a time (terrible use of time), or they get in a circle and all throw at once- at which point mass chaos ensues! haha Potentially great for DGP, headache for teachers. Again, IDK the intended market. I like this as a tiny park concept, and a business concept, but honestly I wouldn't be thrilled to teach this unit even as an avid disc golfer.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 227
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
This is not the intended for gym class. PS most gym classes have well below 300 kids.
You're right, I exaggerated a bit for effect. Most I've worked in are 50-70 (still a big group of kids to orchestrate), though in middle school/ high school gym periods in the hundreds are not uncommon.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewbieDoobieDoo View Post
Yes, I'm a teacher aide. For the interests of DiscGolfPark I think they should certainly market to schools, especially those with huge numbers of students because these schools often have bigger budgets and get nicer, newer, odd/different equipment more frequently. Also, schools will need more than one basket to accommodate even a small gym class. You can't have entire gym of students standing around while they throw one maybe two at a time.

I just know that this unit would be the least favored of the curriculum for most gym teachers I've worked with. Either the kids line up and throw at the basket one at a time (terrible use of time), or they get in a circle and all throw at once- at which point mass chaos ensues! haha Potentially great for DGP, headache for teachers. Again, IDK the intended market. I like this as a tiny park concept, and a business concept, but honestly I wouldn't be thrilled to teach this unit even as an avid disc golfer.
Again, we have other options that are MEANT for schools.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
There has been one basket standing in a park near here for at least 25 years and likely a bit more. I have never seen a single person using it. IMO this sort of thing will be good for somewhat structured environments (schools, camps, etc) but won't gain traction in a regular park setting.
Is it just a basket? Does it have a (large) information board with rules/games to play/etc?