Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 AM

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 19 Times in 6 Posts

Today I found a crack right in the middle of the flight plate. Hard to tell with the crappy phone camera. This eagle will soar no longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180514_233039127.jpg (92.9 KB, 203 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2018, 10:16 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerbob View Post
Today I found a crack right in the middle of the flight plate. Hard to tell with the crappy phone camera. This eagle will soar no longer.
Time to give that friend a well-deserved retirement.

Don't know if this means anything, but when I find cracked and discarded discs on the course, they're usually old Eagles. Coincidence? Who knows...
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,030 Times in 671 Posts

I’ve found a lot too and they are usually really old. Either they have been left ynfound for years or were bagged so long that failure became inevitable.

Sorry for your loss.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 61 Times in 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomerang View Post
I have 2 spots in my bag and am thinking of adding the Eagle. Maybe an X and an L, probably not looking to cycle these. What premium plastic runs of these would be best? I don't mind older/rare stuff as long as we're under 35$
My favorite X's are regular run stars. I don't seek out specific runs or anything. Champs are usually more stable but when I get to that stability I just throw a Banshee.

The best L's are the old pre-flight numbers with pat #'s, they are not too expensive. I have been throwing Exodus for this slot and it is just as good I think (it is a star eagle L). G Star L's are good also if you can find the flatter ones (a lot came out with ridiculous domes, but I have a few flatter ones).
Old 05-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Niced 822 Times in 372 Posts

Re: Banshees.

I'm in the camp that thinks some really OS Eagle X's are basically identical to [new domey] Banshees in flight. I'm thinking of the circle stamp JL run they did for the factory store a few years back. At max weight, even after 2 years of seasoning, the one I bag still doesn't flip for me. With power, will fly a nice glidey straight-to-fade OS flight. 7/5/0/3. Very easy to place if you have room to work that line.

I actually have some nice pat # Banshees that I'll swap into my bag interchangeably with the OS EX slot. Actually, some of the lighter (~165g) Banshees will show a touch of HST more than the heavy Eagle X's. But, these are more recent and domey than some of the older Banshees, like the "Distance Driver" stamped ones or the 10x KC Pros. Those older flat ones really do approach FAF FB overstability. (But you still have the speed difference, obviously, so I'd never say that any Eagle or Banshee is really "just like" a Firebird.)
Old 05-15-2018, 12:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 354 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBMeistor View Post
My favorite X's are regular run stars. I don't seek out specific runs or anything. Champs are usually more stable but when I get to that stability I just throw a Banshee.

The best L's are the old pre-flight numbers with pat #'s, they are not too expensive. I have been throwing Exodus for this slot and it is just as good I think (it is a star eagle L). G Star L's are good also if you can find the flatter ones (a lot came out with ridiculous domes, but I have a few flatter ones).

11X eagle Ls are probably my favorite fairway driver when I can find them used. The price on these are starting to get pretty rough though. There just aren't a ton of them out there but there's enough of us trying to grab a stack of extras.

New ones in decent colors are selling in the $40-50 range on ebay. I used to be able to get used ones for $20 or less but those days seem to be over.

I'm hoping the exodus can be a long-term replacement. Hopefully we see a color glow version soon but I'm not holding my breath.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-15-2018, 01:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Niced 822 Times in 372 Posts

^ Yeah, the flat opaque champ L's are money. They beat into the sweet hyzer-flip lazer spot, and then just stay there forever.

I think some of the "Twelve Time" stamps were of the same batch as the 11x, or at least very similar. Maybe even some of the earliest "12X" stamps (with flight numbers! ) Basically all of the flat opaque champs fly great for me; not too hung up on specific stamps within that era. (For throwing, obviously. Collector value varies greatly between those stamps.)

Not sure if the Exodus, in modern star, will have quite the same longevity in the nicely seasoned stage. I'm very lucky to have a generous benefactor with a baller stash of Eagle L's, so I don't know that I'll be looking to stockpile Exodii any time soon.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 354 Times in 223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
^ Yeah, the flat opaque champ L's are money. They beat into the sweet hyzer-flip lazer spot, and then just stay there forever.

I think some of the "Twelve Time" stamps were of the same batch as the 11x, or at least very similar. Maybe even some of the earliest "12X" stamps (with flight numbers! ) Basically all of the flat opaque champs fly great for me; not too hung up on specific stamps within that era. (For throwing, obviously. Collector value varies greatly between those stamps.)

Not sure if the Exodus, in modern star, will have quite the same longevity in the nicely seasoned stage. I'm very lucky to have a generous benefactor with a baller stash of Eagle L's, so I don't know that I'll be looking to stockpile Exodii any time soon.
I have some early 12X and they feel/fly very similar to the 11X. Definitely feels like the same run.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,179 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBMeistor View Post

I like the Exodus, also. It flies better than my Star Eagle-L, and it (the Exodus) just has a nice smooth flight that just seems to agree with me (and agree more than the Eagle).

Old 05-15-2018, 11:18 PM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,231 Times in 1,046 Posts

Eagle-L's are kind of a pain for me to find b/c like others I much prefer flat ones and all I ever seem to run into are domey. If I were starting an Eagle cycle I'd probably get a Champ, Star, and a DX Eagle X and just make sure the Star didn't have a particularly high PLH so it doesn't overlap the Champ much. Getting a Star EX to beat into that EL spot is really where it's at.

Niced: (2)