Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 100
Niced 74 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb3 View Post
(...talking about a Prodigy Proto driver, a D2)

https://i.imgur.com/qKTcQsK.png
Zach was with Prodigy a few years ago before Lat took a bunch of people. From what I hear and like I said who knows how far back in this thread, Lat is downsizing their roster for sure and cutting bonuses and perks for their sponsored players. I don't know Zach personally (he came to my event a few years ago and he was a super nice dude), so I can't speculate what he's gonna do but it would be nice to have him back on the squad.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Par Member

Niced 52 Times in 35 Posts

Is DD/trilogy going for a way different marketing/sponsorship approach? Without Ricky they will be lucky to have anyone on lead card video coverage. The only big name rumored to them is jones.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 71
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 34 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSyl View Post
Pretty sure I know who Ian is referring to here. Followed him a few rounds now, most recently at Ledgestone. On the last hole I'll bet he put eight F bombs in one sentence. And of course, took anywhere from 35 to 50 seconds to pull the trigger on a putt.
Only thing that makes me think Philo is the time it took to putt. But I met him this year down at USDGC and he couldn't have been a nicer, more humble person. If that is who you are referring to, it could be one of those things where the competitor and the person are very different. But I hope it's not him, lol.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 194
Niced 1,869 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6854 View Post
Is DD/trilogy going for a way different marketing/sponsorship approach? Without Ricky they will be lucky to have anyone on lead card video coverage. The only big name rumored to them is jones.
straight up

even prodigy has better odds
Old 11-13-2018, 01:29 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 216 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
I thought the rumors around Jones was Innova and Discraft, I don't recall a DD rumor.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 217 Times in 109 Posts

Is this just a difference in strategy? DD/Westside/Lat believing their marketing/social media presence can move more plastic than putting money behind a bunch of non top 10 pros?

Seems like between the 3 companies there’s always a new mold or a mold available in a new plastic, which plays perfect into the mindset of your average 900 rated am on the constant hunt for the laser straight 450 foot golf line disc that can also handle the n00b forehand flex shot.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 34
Niced 63 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
I think building up the online presence is the name of the game. And a pretty good one when most media is filtered through it.
Medium or smaller market teams can't buy the biggest free agents, only the deepest pockets can afford them for longer contracts. Get them while they're upcoming/affordable and hope for great years. Help them but also they help build brand awareness. Then the Yankees/Giants can buy them.

- Continue buying up the youtubers or social media presence and make them shills.
- Sign tons of street team across the US, have them promote at your local C/B tier. They're thankful for the free discs, let them push the products online. Hell they'll even buy more of your products.
- Sponsor the internets cheaper favorite players. Have them promote on their own media, followers = sales.
- Sign some cheaper upcomers (idk if cheaper) and hope for some big tourney wins. Everyone likes the nice new guy or some underdog story.
- Sign the top women, they're cheaper than the top males (again idk) but still get tons of coverage that's notably increased over recent years.
- Sponsor podcasts or better yet just run some.
- Try to sponsor lots of CCDG/Jomez videos next year. Run commercials and the discs sell themselves.

Boosh disc golfs media outlet flooded with DD. Sales will be made without a top 10. 15?

Niced: (2)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 109
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderEagle View Post
I thought the rumors around Jones was Innova and Discraft, I don't recall a DD rumor.
I can start that rumor if ya need, it's fairly laid back around here
Old 11-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 26.5
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 363 Times in 160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post
Is this just a difference in strategy? DD/Westside/Lat believing their marketing/social media presence can move more plastic than putting money behind a bunch of non top 10 pros?

Seems like between the 3 companies there’s always a new mold or a mold available in a new plastic, which plays perfect into the mindset of your average 900 rated am on the constant hunt for the laser straight 450 foot golf line disc that can also handle the n00b forehand flex shot.
This ^

They built their following based on their social media presence alone. I'm convinced most people who work or are sponsored by DD have minimum expectation for social media interaction per day (maybe per month) - posts, youtube videos etc. They have built a team of "nice" personality players who make the occasional lead card, but really have a following from their social media or tournament antics.

As stated above - they also mastered the art of disc/product releases and you get a flood of information posted for each release. It still baffles me how many of their fans will pay above stock price because one of their pro's are selling it - not to mention their auction page for "hard to finds" from the factory. Whatever works I guess?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
straight up

even prodigy has better odds
Seems like Trilogy is really better at using social media marketing than player winning while using the product. Of course, some of it goes hand in hand. But I am not sure they will see as big a drop in the molds Ricky was known for as Innova might for things like the Nova or Mako3. At least I think the Harp, Enforcer, and Felon will still sell close to where they were before. Funny, since none of those were his true signature discs.

Niced: (1)