* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,707 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.
Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,356 Times in 410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I think this approach is the wrong business model. Does the NFL, NBA, and MLB have their own camera and production crews? No. Could they? Sure they could but they don't.

They sell the rights to someone to produce and televise those events. Steve should be looking to get paid by Jomez, ccdg, etc to film DGPT events. Then those guys get paid by advertisers, YouTube, and patreon. Maybe their isn't enough money in advertising to support this currently but I don't think having an in house video team will work out very well. Time will tell.
I believe this was Steve's intention, but nobody would pay him. The rights are only worth what the market will bear, and that model is an outdated cable TV model. Realistically, we're past that, we're onto the content creator model using social media platform distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.
This is already starting to happen.

Niced: (4)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 43
Niced 35 Times in 16 Posts

Live coverage isn't going to take off until whomever does it can afford multiple crews and actual production. I will not sit and watch people walk down the fairway unless it's Tiger walking down 18 at the tour championship for his first win in years. Until they can cut to other cards, show us interesting and unique things all the time, I'm going to stick with Jomez where they show us what matters.

Networks make money from advertising. Manufacturers have a dog in that fight, certainly, but the majority of the money from advertising isn't going to come from disc manufacturers. And to be able to charge enough for advertising slots to make any real monetary impact, you're going to need to show that you have the viewers.

This is going to be a tough sell. To a lot of folks.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.
I'm not convinced the manufacturers see a fight, just a means to get their brand in front of consumer's eyes.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Instead of paying crews to film and publish videos that they then get further monetization from (ads and Youtube revenue), he wants to monetize for himself.
Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
They already do. I know at least one manufacturer that pays their guys a bonus when they make Jomez or CCDG.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Niced 694 Times in 343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.
Um, how did you do that? I didn't think I wrote that text, and clicking the link shows my original comment you quoted looks nothing like that lol
Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Um, how did you do that? I didn't think I wrote that text, and clicking the link shows my original comment you quoted looks nothing like that lol
O just ****ed up.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,886 Times in 450 Posts

My understand is that SmashBoxx got paid from the live advertising. The money that the events paid went to the tour finale.

But honestly it is one pool of money in the end.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour
Just posted on Facebook.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Just posted on Facebook.
Let the flaming begin!

Joking aside I can only imagine the posts on that facebook page.

There's a reason this is the only social media I participate in.

Niced: (2)