#171  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:37 PM
ru4por's Avatar
ru4por ru4por is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dearborn Michigan
Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 247
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,955
Niced 1,707 Times in 742 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.
Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:42 PM
JTacoma03's Avatar
JTacoma03 JTacoma03 is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baton Rouge, LA and SF, CA
Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 4,280
Niced 1,356 Times in 410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I think this approach is the wrong business model. Does the NFL, NBA, and MLB have their own camera and production crews? No. Could they? Sure they could but they don't.

They sell the rights to someone to produce and televise those events. Steve should be looking to get paid by Jomez, ccdg, etc to film DGPT events. Then those guys get paid by advertisers, YouTube, and patreon. Maybe their isn't enough money in advertising to support this currently but I don't think having an in house video team will work out very well. Time will tell.
I believe this was Steve's intention, but nobody would pay him. The rights are only worth what the market will bear, and that model is an outdated cable TV model. Realistically, we're past that, we're onto the content creator model using social media platform distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Let's speculate!

Consider the dynamic if a pro's sponsorship includes a bonus for appearing on video, say $100 for 30k unique views + $50 for each additional 10k. This reward system would drive players to follow the most popular video teams even when the tournament purse is smaller.
This is already starting to happen.

Niced: (4)
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:46 PM
steinkecm's Avatar
steinkecm steinkecm is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 820
Niced 35 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Live coverage isn't going to take off until whomever does it can afford multiple crews and actual production. I will not sit and watch people walk down the fairway unless it's Tiger walking down 18 at the tour championship for his first win in years. Until they can cut to other cards, show us interesting and unique things all the time, I'm going to stick with Jomez where they show us what matters.

Networks make money from advertising. Manufacturers have a dog in that fight, certainly, but the majority of the money from advertising isn't going to come from disc manufacturers. And to be able to charge enough for advertising slots to make any real monetary impact, you're going to need to show that you have the viewers.

This is going to be a tough sell. To a lot of folks.

Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:04 PM
teemkey's Avatar
teemkey teemkey is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Courses Played: 39
Posts: 2,532
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.
I'm not convinced the manufacturers see a fight, just a means to get their brand in front of consumer's eyes.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:40 PM
Royalhghnss's Avatar
Royalhghnss Royalhghnss is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Courses Played: 51
Posts: 1,212
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Instead of paying crews to film and publish videos that they then get further monetization from (ads and Youtube revenue), he wants to monetize for himself.
Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Cool idea, but where you getting all that moola from? Disc manufacturers? Not sure they have an interest in taking sides in this fight.
They already do. I know at least one manufacturer that pays their guys a bonus when they make Jomez or CCDG.

Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:47 PM
GoobyPls's Avatar
GoobyPls GoobyPls is online now
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,389
Niced 694 Times in 343 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Small clarification. Steve didn't pay us or Jomez. We did it at 0 cost to him. MVP and Innova (respectively) are how we were able to afford it.

Also pretty sure the (some/most of) Smashboxx money come from the DGPT fee each TD has to pay dodge.
Um, how did you do that? I didn't think I wrote that text, and clicking the link shows my original comment you quoted looks nothing like that lol
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Royalhghnss's Avatar
Royalhghnss Royalhghnss is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Courses Played: 51
Posts: 1,212
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoobyPls View Post
Um, how did you do that? I didn't think I wrote that text, and clicking the link shows my original comment you quoted looks nothing like that lol
O just ****ed up.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 11-15-2018, 10:12 PM
jvphobic jvphobic is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 985
Niced 1,886 Times in 450 Posts
Default

My understand is that SmashBoxx got paid from the live advertising. The money that the events paid went to the tour finale.


But honestly it is one pool of money in the end.

Niced: (1)
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:11 PM
Jay Dub's Avatar
Jay Dub Jay Dub is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,880
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Default

Quote:
Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour
#22042
Just posted on Facebook.
Reply With Quote
 

  #180  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 PM
broomerang broomerang is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: OH
Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,098
Niced 709 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Disc Golf Pro Tour
9 mins

Greetings Disc Golf Players and Fans, over the past few days I have seen and heard your response to the upcoming changes in our media plan for 2019. I want to say thank you so much for taking the time to share your views.

I have heard your feedback and appreciate your candor. I would ask that you keep an open mind as the offseason develops and our media plan is shared next week. If, when all the cards are down you do not believe the Disc Golf Pro Tour has been a good custodian of the pro side of the game, at least we can know that we got there honestly and thoughtfully.

The goal of the Disc Golf Pro Tour is not to cut anyone out, in fact, our goal is to create more opportunities for everyone involved. Over the years our relationship with each media company has been symbiotic. As the Director of the Disc Golf Pro Tour, I will work hard to make sure this does not change.

Over the past three years, I have committed to making sure the Disc Golf Pro Tour brings fans the best in competition and media. I look forward to raising that bar in 2019.

Thanks as always for your support,

Steve Dodge
Director | Disc Golf Pro Tour
#22042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
Just posted on Facebook.
Let the flaming begin!

Joking aside I can only imagine the posts on that facebook page.

There's a reason this is the only social media I participate in.

Niced: (2)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Val drops Innova? corin_brown General Disc Golf Chat 356 01-08-2017 07:47 PM
DGPT: Host a Pro Tour House Party: Win a DGPT Zuca Cart! DGPT General Disc Golf Chat 2 09-07-2016 01:15 PM
Consolidated and Price Drops!! MrGlass01 The Marketplace 21 12-29-2012 01:00 PM
February Daily Price Drops ShopTom.com Commercial Marketplace 7 02-29-2012 09:15 AM
January Daily Price Drops ShopTom.com Commercial Marketplace 5 01-31-2012 01:44 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.