Old 02-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Courses Played: 2
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default Player ratings

So I’ve kept score for a few rounds on the DGCR app and I took the ratings for each round divided by the number of rounds. Is this an accurate way to determine skill level?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 48 Times in 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniej614 View Post
So I’ve kept score for a few rounds on the DGCR app and I took the ratings for each round divided by the number of rounds. Is this an accurate way to determine skill level?
More or less, yes, although the accuracy of the round rating system is dependent on the course 'difficulty' (i.e. foliage) and pin positions (i.e. total course length) being 'correct'. The course rating estimates for some courses in the DGCR database are closer to 'real' SSA's than others, and it may take some knowledge of local events at those courses to know for sure.

In terms of the technical computation, the PDGA system does actually double-weight your most recent 25% of rounds too.

Does that help?

Niced: (1)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:51 PM

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Yep! Thanks.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 183
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 673 Times in 446 Posts

Not as accurate as PDGA tournaments, to be sure. But an average rating on DGCR will give you a decent idea. I think it depends mainly on how accurately you record your rounds, and even more on the data available on the course from past tournaments. Make sure you record which layout you've played, or your rating can be even more skewed, either up or down.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

If you're trying to get an idea of what your actual tournament player rating will be when you start playing real tournaments, add an extra 3-6 strokes per round or so to your usual scores. Nerves, the pressure of keeping the scorecard, hole backups, playing with a bunch of people you don't know, etc. will all add strokes to your scores in real tournaments. It's rare that I score nearly as well in a tournament round as I do playing a mostly empty course by myself on a Saturday morning.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks guys. Was thinking about signing up for my first tournament and didn’t know how to figure out which division to play
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniej614 View Post
Thanks guys. Was thinking about signing up for my first tournament and didn’t know how to figure out which division to play
Check out this PDGA page on divisions for a quick into to divisions. Practically, it's easier to check out tournaments (from the past) in your area from courses and layouts that you know. There may even be players that you know. That will give you an idea where you fit.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:57 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 72
Niced 108 Times in 53 Posts

Don't feel bad or like you are sand bagging by playing in a lower division. It's your first tournament and no one can really call you a sandbagger, well unless you've been mopping up at the weekly leagues. Play in that division until you win or your rating no longer allows you to. It's your first year, and while you can learn a lot about playing up a division I also think it's important to no be blown out of the water playing in a division you aren't suited for.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B The V View Post
Don't feel bad or like you are sand bagging by playing in a lower division. It's your first tournament and no one can really call you a sandbagger, well unless you've been mopping up at the weekly leagues. Play in that division until you win or your rating no longer allows you to. It's your first year, and while you can learn a lot about playing up a division I also think it's important to no be blown out of the water playing in a division you aren't suited for.
This was going to be exactly my advice. Often around here, MA2 is the lowest non-protected division in most events (because there just aren't enough people willing to sign up in MA3). Don't let pride or the old "playing with better players will make me better" thing make you sign up in MA1. Sign up in MA2 or even MA3 if it exists. Play a division until you've got a couple wins in that division or your rating is too high and then move up. Playing with people better than you is fine and all, but disc golf is a mental game and nothing is so demoralizing as being bottom of your division and the worst on your card all the time. I think most people compete better if they feel like they at least have a chance of winning or cashing. Otherwise, it's hard to motivate yourself to care about each stroke the way you should.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by B The V View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
This was going to be exactly my advice. Often around here, MA2 is the lowest non-protected division in most events (because there just aren't enough people willing to sign up in MA3). Don't let pride or the old "playing with better players will make me better" thing make you sign up in MA1. Sign up in MA2 or even MA3 if it exists. Play a division until you've got a couple wins in that division or your rating is too high and then move up. Playing with people better than you is fine and all, but disc golf is a mental game and nothing is so demoralizing as being bottom of your division and the worst on your card all the time. I think most people compete better if they feel like they at least have a chance of winning or cashing. Otherwise, it's hard to motivate yourself to care about each stroke the way you should.
I agree with this in principle. In practice, I've always gone with the higher division for two reasons: 1) they have more difficult layouts, and I enjoy that challenge; and 2) getting compared to higher rated players, even on the more difficult layouts, probably results in my rating being higher.