Old 02-24-2019, 01:31 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
It was much colder than anyone probably expected and they were playing in snow. As someone who lives in a cold environment and has played in snow, I will say it can be tough to get a decent rhythm going when you're cold. You don't even really feel like you're gripping the disc properly. Bad drives are very easy to come by in those conditions. Everything feels like it wants to stall and hyzer out prematurely.

Hardly a problem. Paige was easily outdriving the other women. She'll be fine. Playing in austere conditions can affect anyone. I agree she had a bad start.
Paige P is known for slow starts, and yes she will be fine. As to conditions, I'm not going to allow that excuse: Paige B and Catrina were playing in the same conditions and played well, especially Cat's Rd. 2 back nine.

And I agree with whoever said above that the FPO field is getting deeper and more competitive. I'm really looking forward to watching the ladies play DG this season.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2019, 11:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 688 Times in 543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Paige P is known for slow starts, and yes she will be fine. As to conditions, I'm not going to allow that excuse: Paige B and Catrina were playing in the same conditions and played well, especially Cat's Rd. 2 back nine.

And I agree with whoever said above that the FPO field is getting deeper and more competitive. I'm really looking forward to watching the ladies play DG this season.
I can't really disagree there. All the women were playing in the same conditions. Paige P did have a noticeably sluggish start and it looked like the cold was affecting her. I guess a big part of DG is dealing with sometimes inopportune weather conditions and still finding ways to succeed.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 280 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Eddy View Post
... Paige Pierce can no longer bring her B game for most of the tournament and have one or two good rounds and expect to win FPO. At least one other player is going to put together a good tournament with the increasing depth in FPO. This is the most parody FPO has had in a long time, maybe ever.
Is someone doing a satire of disc golf that I didn't know about?

I agree though that there sees to be parity in both the men's and women' side of things. I think it is good to see and only helps the game. It's not just Paige Pierce winning, and it's no longer just McBeth and Wysocki. I also think it is good to see that McBeth's switch to Discraft really hasn't affected his game much. As much as the fanbois want to believe and convince us all that company X's discs will make you a better player or Team Y's players are the only cool players around, discs really are are commodity now and it doesn't matter what or whose discs you are throwing.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 212
Niced 28 Times in 22 Posts

I watch something where she said it is a little reminder to get that pop on release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
That little putter flick to the head she does seems a bit extraneous to me. Easy to criticize when she's missing a bunch, but I really can't see how that helps.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:08 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,177 Times in 1,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
That little putter flick to the head she does seems a bit extraneous to me. Easy to criticize when she's missing a bunch, but I really can't see how that helps.
Routine, routine, routine. Extremely important for consistent putting (and consistent disc golf, and consistent golf ball golf)...
Old 02-24-2019, 06:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 257 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Routine, routine, routine. Extremely important for consistent putting (and consistent disc golf, and consistent golf ball golf)...
For sure: I liken it to a ball player who has a big leg kick or hitch in his swing when batting. Some are comfortable with it and make it work.

But you would never encourage someone learning the game to emulate it as a model of clean form.

Now the rest of her game....
Old 02-25-2019, 03:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,357 Times in 793 Posts

Sometimes it feels like Paige should have a Pro caddie that can "make her go for the safe shot" sometimes. . .she usually plays well with McCall as a caddie
Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,357 Times in 793 Posts

Paige P had 18 OBs. . Paige B had 5 OBs. . .PP lost by 8 throws

I really don´t get why PP can´t play it just a bit safe

Whats the point of a "big arm" if that just make you find OB the normal arms can´t reach?

Niced: (3)
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 11
Niced 23 Times in 15 Posts

I agree and what i feel is the best advantage of longer throwers is that they can disc down or throw more overstable discs and get better consistensy. Which i havent really seen paige do..

Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 115
Niced 287 Times in 140 Posts

PP is sort of like the Simon of the FPO field. All the talent anyone could want, but doesn't always make the "smart" choice. Discing down and going for a par occasionally would probably work. Also, there are times she is not a very good putter. She goes on stretches where she can't make a 15 footer.

Niced: (1)