Old 04-15-2019, 02:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
According to what JonnyV said on the Smashboxx podcast last week, the Roku app is just the start. They're going to be developing one for AppleTV and presumably for other streaming consoles like Xbox, Playstation, and I would hope Android/Chromecast so there's no need to cast one's browser. So I expect that the DGN thing will stick around and I would note that the naming of it suggests that Steve may envision it might eventually include non-DGPT live content.

From what I saw this weekend, it seemed like the biggest hiccup encountered with the stream was that their service provider was unprepared for the volume, which led to a lot of errors the first couple days. That appeared to get mostly ironed out for Sunday. I remember when udisc live first launched, they encountered similar issues but they didn't last long as they scaled up to accommodate the demand and were better prepared for it at future events. I expect the same for the next DGPT broadcasts.
Honestly, I don't see why? It seems a lot of cost and effort for minimal return. You can set up pay-to-watch from any website and most TVs will run a web browser.

I wonder if part of Steve's burgeoning cost structure is the desire to explore multiple formats and to purchase lots of equipment?

In business lingo, that I vaguely remember, there are IT leaders, fast followers, slow followers, and get alongers. The best options are considered to be fast or slow followers, in terms of cost. And leaders are considered very risky. Steve feels a lot like an IT leader when he should be a slow follower.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 349 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
According to what JonnyV said on the Smashboxx podcast last week, the Roku app is just the start. They're going to be developing one for AppleTV and presumably for other streaming consoles like Xbox, Playstation, and I would hope Android/Chromecast so there's no need to cast one's browser. So I expect that the DGN thing will stick around and I would note that the naming of it suggests that Steve may envision it might eventually include non-DGPT live content.

From what I saw this weekend, it seemed like the biggest hiccup encountered with the stream was that their service provider was unprepared for the volume, which led to a lot of errors the first couple days. That appeared to get mostly ironed out for Sunday. I remember when udisc live first launched, they encountered similar issues but they didn't last long as they scaled up to accommodate the demand and were better prepared for it at future events. I expect the same for the next DGPT broadcasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleoross View Post
Honestly, I don't see why? It seems a lot of cost and effort for minimal return. You can set up pay-to-watch from any website and most TVs will run a web browser.

I wonder if part of Steve's burgeoning cost structure is the desire to explore multiple formats and to purchase lots of equipment?

In business lingo, that I vaguely remember, there are IT leaders, fast followers, slow followers, and get alongers. The best options are considered to be fast or slow followers, in terms of cost. And leaders are considered very risky. Steve feels a lot like an IT leader when he should be a slow follower.
It would be strange to start a "Disc Golf Network" that was off air 98% of the time, only showing live DGPT coverage.

I could imagine JomezPro airing all their stuff. It seems that 9 holes is a good half hour show with a few commercials. If they had a reason to, I'm sure they could tighten up their timelines to exactly 30 minute blocks (or 27 minute blocks) with a commercial break in between.

Then you could run a network, with an on air schedule. I'd also bet that Dynamic Discs, Innova Discs, Discraft, Johnny disc golf, and others would produce 'shows' and sell them to DGN to fill up air time.

A great sick day would be to turn on DGN and watch a tourney on JomezPro, and maybe some reality TV show following 5 guys in a van doing the touring life.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,032 Times in 849 Posts

Quote:

Hopefully eventually they will have just one week where it seems like they have done it all before...

Old 04-15-2019, 03:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.9
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Hopefully eventually they will have just one week where it seems like they have done it all before...
Yeah, it does seem like they start from scratch every time.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga54 View Post
It would be strange to start a "Disc Golf Network" that was off air 98% of the time, only showing live DGPT coverage.

I could imagine JomezPro airing all their stuff. It seems that 9 holes is a good half hour show with a few commercials. If they had a reason to, I'm sure they could tighten up their timelines to exactly 30 minute blocks (or 27 minute blocks) with a commercial break in between.

Then you could run a network, with an on air schedule. I'd also bet that Dynamic Discs, Innova Discs, Discraft, Johnny disc golf, and others would produce 'shows' and sell them to DGN to fill up air time.

A great sick day would be to turn on DGN and watch a tourney on JomezPro, and maybe some reality TV show following 5 guys in a van doing the touring life.
It's already more than just the live broadcast. The post-produced stuff from Memorial and WACO (questionable quality that they are) are available on the app, as is a whole bunch of stuff from past MSDGC and Vibram Open DVDs (stuff Steve surely had laying around since he produced all of it).

Add in the archive of videos currently hosted on the DGPT Youtube channel and there's a lot of potential content even without adding anything owned by other providers like Jomez and CCDG. I don't think it necessarily needs a live schedule so much as it can be a Netflix style repository for disc golf content, only with the capability of showing live broadcasts as well.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-15-2019, 04:00 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 39
Niced 510 Times in 238 Posts

What I imagine is going on with DGPT broadcasting is the usual battle between the technologists and the marketers. The marketers need to sell ads, so they have a list of functions their potential customers want; the technologists need to make the product work, so they have a list of functions necessary for solid performance.

Good management balances effort devoted to each of the two lists.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.7
Courses Played: 95
Niced 928 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

One problem they can fix instantly at no cost is to explain to the camera person/director/producer (who's ever in charge) that we do not want to watch the thrower watch their throw. We want to watch the throw/flight of disc.

I don't care what the player is doing after they throw.

I saw that too many times this weekend.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
One problem they can fix instantly at no cost is to explain to the camera person/director/producer (who's ever in charge) that we do not want to watch the thrower watch their throw. We want to watch the throw/flight of disc.

I don't care what the player is doing after they throw.

I saw that too many times this weekend.
I agree. I don’t mind the reaction-cam, but minimizing the disc flight in a picture in picture and focusing on reaction is backward. Put the reaction in the small screen OR show it in instant replay. A producer who has a knack for transitioning between cameras at the right time is sorely missed right now.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

Is DGN also owned by Dodge? I'm guessing if it's not, he's still a part of it. Seems like the overall business plan is to use DGPT to provide an initial "product" that can be shown/sold on the DGN platform/network. Then perhaps in the future other shows would be broadcast/sold from the DGN network onto the other major media outlets, etc.

Smashboxx - What happened? You've been around a long time, why all of a sudden you can't do quality control before you spend hours rendering/uploading to YouTube? Audio levels, strange player footage speeds, etc. Is it a DGPT curse? Seriously...yah..I get it you don't owe anyone an explanation for providing free content, but it would be interesting to know wth is going on.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Niced 885 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
OR show it in instant replay.
speaking of which...did anyone else not see any instant replays?