Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: McBeth vs. Climo
McBeth 143 64.13%
Climo 80 35.87%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrihan View Post
I don't think this is quantifiable or even important in the discussion. What did he do that was so tough and made you want to quit? Give you funny looks? Blow his cig in your face? Just sounds like tall tales to me.
Not quantifiable - but there's truth to it. It isn't so much intimidation tactics as much as the attitude wears on you. He has absolute belief he's going to throw the best shot every time the card steps up to the tee, and he backs it up enough that it rubs off. You were there when I golfed with him on lead at the Jacksonville Open - I didn't really get to play "against" him because he had me by 2 and increased that lead quick in beating me by 13 that round but I got to see him playing heads up with JohnE and he was relentless. And if any conversation came up that involved any element of any sort of competition in any pursuit, talking non-disc golf... he was the best at that too. I wasn't impacted by it, I was in his tail-lights too early for that to happen, but I can definitely see how it can wear on a person.

Not that it wore on JohnE that round. He and Ken shot matching 1070s.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 725 Times in 508 Posts

Why is this still a thing?

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 45 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Couldn't win Worlds? Barsby's better than Climo? (Anyone else waiting around for Climo's impression of Barsby . ... ? Just me?) Couldn't win regularly? He was 1040 rated as an old person. He could and would win regularly if he were in his prime now.

Could he not beat McBeth if they started at the same time . . .. ? He may have -- Climo stomped everyone into submission. I'm sure JohnE wants Ken to heal up and get back out there kicking his butt relentlessly. Barry -- hoping to see Kenny healed up? Didn't know Ron Russel but seemed like a mean cuss from the videos and I'm guessing that's what it would take to win when Climo was young. (Isn't Russell a roofer? They're wayyy above average on the toughness scale . . . .just saying.)

I know -- different time, etc. but we're what-iffing here and similar to Nicklaus v. Tiger, it's still Nicklaus. Tiger gets his 18th -- OK, we go to column B and Tiger's better. Paul gets his 12th, OK, Paul's better. Otherwise, be second.

(Note - Tiger gets to 17 (16?) I may renege on this along with if Paul makes 11(10?) . .. just saying.)
What I really was getting at is more "sustained season-long performance." If Climo was dropped into the current competitive climate in his athletic prime, I don't believe he would ever have his overall tour statistics surpass McBeth. In a given tournament, sure, a lot of people could have a hot weekend and take one down. Just over time, over many courses, McBeth will consistently dominate any version of Climo. I don't think I could be persuaded otherwise.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,548 Times in 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Could McBeth make all those long putts on Mach IIIs?
McBeth won the BHMO a few years ago. The course still had antiquated Mach IIIs. Some other pros complained and called them crappy baskets. McBeth just laughed and said he grew up putting on "crappy" baskets.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,823 Times in 1,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
McBeth won the BHMO a few years ago. The course still had antiquated Mach IIIs. Some other pros complained and called them crappy baskets. McBeth just laughed and said he grew up putting on "crappy" baskets.
That doesn't really tell us anything statistically. Guessing he putted softer on them and expected some spit outs, compared to modern baskets.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,024 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
What I really was getting at is more "sustained season-long performance." If Climo was dropped into the current competitive climate in his athletic prime, I don't believe he would ever have his overall tour statistics surpass McBeth. In a given tournament, sure, a lot of people could have a hot weekend and take one down. Just over time, over many courses, McBeth will consistently dominate any version of Climo. I don't think I could be persuaded otherwise.
Climo's rating at age 40 compared with McBeth's now would indicate Paul to be a stroke or 2 better per round depending on the course. Why would you not think that Climo was a stroke or 2 better at age 28 than 40?

Old 04-17-2019, 06:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Climo's rating at age 40 compared with McBeth's now would indicate Paul to be a stroke or 2 better per round depending on the course. Why would you not think that Climo was a stroke or 2 better at age 28 than 40?
Because I believe he is more than a stroke or two better on average. Your idea is based on rating, and my whole premise is that since rating is based on your comparison to the field, it is harder to be 1040 rated now than it used to be.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,024 Times in 844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
Because I believe he is more than a stroke or two better on average. Your idea is based on rating, and my whole premise is that since rating is based on your comparison to the field, it is harder to be 1040 rated now than it used to be.
You do realize that all ratings are based on past results do you not? While there may be a bit of depression over the years due to various factors, everyone's rating today originally stemmed from one PDGA World Championships in the late 90's. (In Cincinatti, I think)

Old 04-18-2019, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 880 Times in 522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naphish View Post
i do remember him saying that the courses were too easy (lack of shot shaping) and that a Worlds Title shouldn't be achieved by winning what he called " a putting contest".
Interesting! Seems that's exactly where we are at in 2019.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
You do realize that all ratings are based on past results do you not? While there may be a bit of depression over the years due to various factors, everyone's rating today originally stemmed from one PDGA World Championships in the late 90's. (In Cincinatti, I think)
The current rating system started in 2002. The ratings are currently an average of your rounds from the last year. The way each round's rating is derived is based on the course's "rating," which is based on how all the rated propogator's of that round shot on that individual round. You can look all this up on PDGA's website. They are pretty clear that if you have players playing worse or better than their ratings on a given day, it will skew everyone's round ratings up or down, although they say it will usually only be by a few percent. Anyway, since the average skill of players has gone up over time (I don't think you are denying this), that means to play "scratch golf" you need to be better than you used to have to be for the same rating. Paul McBeth is rated higher than Ken Climo ever was in a much broader, tougher field.