Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,031 Times in 672 Posts

my home course Etowah Park is a lot like Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy for me, they are both familiar, clever and even after experiencing it many times you still catch things you hadn’t noticed or fully comprehended before. They are both also shorter than I remember nearly every time.

Rollin Ridge is possibly my favorite and it felt to me like Fernando Pessoas better works, unpredictable, understated, with the feel that possibly multiple authors/designers contributed or one such person who was of multiple minds/personalities. Also some subtle humor in several of the holes/pages.

And it’s cheesy but Milo felt to me like Return of the King, majestic, over the top, a very loud physical presence. It’s almost like it’s trying too hard, but if it weren’t you’d be disappointed.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:03 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,031 Times in 672 Posts

Golden gate park was a bit like the Great Gatsby to me. One of those that people talk about a lot and people claim it had a huge effect on them, but once you play/read it, you see that while in many ways it is great, but maybe hasn’t aged super well. It’s still really good, but may have been surpassed on the big stage.

Flip City could be old man and the sea...but with a more positive vibe. One man seeking to tame a natural force, locked in a never ending battle. Also, if you try to tackle it too soon in your literary/disc golf career it will be more challenging than you are ready for and leave you disappointed and frustrated.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 225 Times in 107 Posts

Deleted.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 67
Niced 225 Times in 107 Posts

My home course is feeling like Wheres Waldo right now. It is so soggy they can't cut the grass so even the fairways are a foot long. You can be five feet from the basket and still have to hunt for your damn disc.

Niced: (2)
Old 06-02-2019, 12:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 194
Niced 143 Times in 80 Posts

The happenings at highbridge tie in quite well with Moby dick or the sirens of titan if you really want to get deep
Old 06-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 173 Times in 92 Posts

My analogy was to help others when they're noodling out their designs. I didn't intend any specific story, but it can be helpful to designers to use the patterns of story-telling to improve the the quality of their courses - an indirect problem-solving method, if you will...

Golf, as a whole, perhaps more than most sports, lends itself directly and readily to metaphoric, symbolic and archetypal ideas. For example, the 4 basic types of dramatic conflict are as follows:

1. Man vs. Nature
2. Man vs. Man
3. Man vs. Himself
4. Man vs. God

There are a few other types, but we're just positing an idea here...In designing a course, one may imagine how these types of conflict will play out over the round to enhance play experience. When we play golf, we are always the 'hero' of our own round, how we play becomes our 'legend'. Anyone spending time at the 19th hole knows this to be true...

Consider Augusta National and Amen Corner there. How much does this purposeful sequencing of these holes/shots (and their name), contribute to the drama of the contest we watch unfold? Amen Corner was named specifically because of past years' exciting golf there, so we have a 'suspenseful sequence', which was intentionally designed to be that way...you get my point...

while it's not a favorite course, I would say the opening sequence of The Angry Beaver closely resembles 'Hansel and Gretel', or echoes some of the archetypal ideas from that fairy tale...
Old 06-02-2019, 12:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,458 Times in 1,511 Posts

I tried this with Stoney Hill, but I'm not sure it's a book.

More like a symphony. At least the older Diamond layout. Starts out with a big fanfare, drifts through movements that are mostly light-hearted or serene, then concludes with bold crashing movements that may keep playing in your head, after you've left.

Or, for some, perhaps an operatic tragedy.

Then again, it might be a 3-act action-comedy, with a chance for the hero to rise up and win the day at the end.

As for the shorter Garnet layout, the only book form that comes to mind is an Anthology of Short Stories.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 764 Times in 533 Posts

Pender course is short, lots of terrain and foliage changes since its deeper woods surrounding a steep hill/mini mountain.

Baxter Black - Cactus Tracks (cowboy philosophy) a collection of short stories, not entirely connected but there's a theme. Easy to digest and funny as hell sometimes.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 170 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeonDwindle View Post
My analogy was to help others when they're noodling out their designs. I didn't intend any specific story, but it can be helpful to designers to use the patterns of story-telling to improve the the quality of their courses - an indirect problem-solving method, if you will...

Golf, as a whole, perhaps more than most sports, lends itself directly and readily to metaphoric, symbolic and archetypal ideas. For example, the 4 basic types of dramatic conflict are as follows:

1. Man vs. Nature
2. Man vs. Man
3. Man vs. Himself
4. Man vs. God

There are a few other types, but we're just positing an idea here...In designing a course, one may imagine how these types of conflict will play out over the round to enhance play experience. When we play golf, we are always the 'hero' of our own round, how we play becomes our 'legend'. Anyone spending time at the 19th hole knows this to be true...

Consider Augusta National and Amen Corner there. How much does this purposeful sequencing of these holes/shots (and their name), contribute to the drama of the contest we watch unfold? Amen Corner was named specifically because of past years' exciting golf there, so we have a 'suspenseful sequence', which was intentionally designed to be that way...you get my point...

while it's not a favorite course, I would say the opening sequence of The Angry Beaver closely resembles 'Hansel and Gretel', or echoes some of the archetypal ideas from that fairy tale...
So much to this.

Not sure I'll be able to contribute anything worthwhile, but you sure have given me some stuff to think about. Thank you for clarifying your intent.

Is it merely coincidence that Mr. Patheticus wrote about a Towel, and then we heard a comparison to Hitchhiker's Guide? OF COURSE NOT!

Synchronicity, more like.

In any event, I do enjoy it when disc golfers go beyond plastic, gear, and Rules discussions.

An erudite group.