Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM
**Stickin'Putts**

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 573
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 198 Times in 82 Posts

Not at all, not at all. Props where props are due.

Also, we should plan a trip up there before the snow flies, @stardoggy.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2019, 12:49 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCritters View Post
Not at all, not at all. Props where props are due.

Also, we should plan a trip up there before the snow flies, @stardoggy.
Absolutely!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 49.9
Courses Played: 52
Niced 555 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to eat crow and give some big ups to MountainMan and da Crippler for really turning the HH ship around. I've been following their work here and on Facebook, and they are killing it up there. In the best way possible.

I know I've been Debbie Downer in this thread (as well as the other one) about the future of HH under MountainMan, and I stand corrected.

Can't wait to get up there and play it again.

Don’t forget Buzzflicker the course master! Been eating a little raven burger myself lately, less talk and more work is definitely on my agenda for the next few years.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 485 Times in 234 Posts

Quote:
I'm going to eat crow and give some big ups to MountainMan and da Crippler for really turning the HH ship around. I've been following their work here and on Facebook, and they are killing it up there. In the best way possible.

I know I've been Debbie Downer in this thread (as well as the other one) about the future of HH under MountainMan, and I stand corrected.

Can't wait to get up there and play it again.

Read this and found the FB page. MM is a determined fella. He obviously "walks the walk". It was really cool scrolling through watching all the progress he and the crew have made. His passion is infectious and it's awesome to see you guys who have a history at HH get re-excited through all of it. While I never got to experience the joy of the original HH in the hey day, I'm confident by the time I do make the trip it is going to be something special.

After seeing some of the photos of the trash piles and dilapidated buildings I would assume the surrounding residents are loving the clean up.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-11-2019, 12:13 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 528
Niced 743 Times in 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post

After seeing some of the photos of the trash piles and dilapidated buildings I would assume the surrounding residents are loving the clean up.
All except one, unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
All except one, unfortunately.
JJ reference, or are you saying there is a resident not happy that HH will be coming back?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 101
Niced 601 Times in 283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTooLong View Post
I haven't watched the final interviews yet with Hammes, but I'm guessing he didn't thank or mention Team Highbridge.
I should point out, after previously poking fun, that I did notice Hammes thank Team Highbridge Hills at the end of his latest appearance on Smashboxxx a couple weeks ago.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 277 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
I've largely defended JJ on here; more than once. ...Largely one guy; (with some single person assistance sometimes; do not want to disrespect those persons); kept a five course plus complex going for 14 years! With very small income; most of that time.

There are some very positive things to give JJ credit for. (I had my "bad experiences" there; like many); but, I saw him on the lawn mower, or, working in some fashion, with no sun in the sky (i.e., in the dark); more than once as well...

Mountain Man/Tom, and his crew, are working like crazy up there now!!
I feel like I'm more in your boat. When I met John in 2006 - most of these faults seemed basically to amount to his having such big dreams for the property. I was brought on to work as a disc sports instructor for a kids disc camp over the summer, with kids bused over weekly from some local camps for lessons (I think it was 2-3 camps he thought would bring in kids once a week each), and I'd do grounds work on the off days. We had an verbally agreed upon wage. When I got there, though - that had been pushed back so I was to spend my first month just on grounds. The wages turned into room/board. Soon became just room, with a promise of some kind of stake in a cabin or something long term. By the time I'd been there a month the lessons were just to whomever showed up on the property and no kids camps planned (I had, over the four months, about 4-5 total groups of kids). By the time I left my compensation was down to the bed I'd slept on and permission to camp for free into the future.

All told, having seen what little we brought in each week, I was understanding of the fact that I wasn't getting anything. I didn't see John as someone sleazy or underhanded throughout it. I just saw it as a situation where he'd truly had much bigger expectations for what he'd be bringing in from these ideas than actually came through. I never attributed it to any sense he wasn't doing the work to try to make it possible - he was out there on that mower into the night.

All of these stories have colored my thoughts on how that summer went - it does make me wonder if he was anywhere close to lining up kids camps to come in, whether the steps were taken to even begin to develop that process for that summer... I can't know what was/wasn't done. The stories I've heard - such a damn shame. He seemed like a truly nice guy, but I can't deny all the other experiences I've read about here, on top of the issues with 2007 Worlds after I left.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 159
Niced 449 Times in 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerface View Post
JJ reference, or are you saying there is a resident not happy that HH will be coming back?
A couple of pages ago it was noted that a landowner that controls 5 lots has prohibited all disc golf activities on his properties. The poster said 2 of the courses will be affected but only losing a few holes.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
A couple of pages ago it was noted that a landowner that controls 5 lots has prohibited all disc golf activities on his properties. The poster said 2 of the courses will be affected but only losing a few holes.
Thanks.

Niced: (1)