Old 08-18-2019, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHFH
Niced 34 Times in 22 Posts
Default Banshee replacement??

It's been a while since I've posted here, but I thought I'd come and ask advice from the most qualified people I know.... You guys/gals!!

I'll get straight to it. Like a dummy I've been using older Champion Banshees (opaque) as my main thrower for the last 5+ years. I started out with 4 of them, but it seems my luck has run out and I've lost 2 this year alone and now I'm down to my last Banshee. I'm looking for another Innova disc to hopefully replace them with something easier to find in stores.

In my bag now I have Firebirds, Eagles, Teebirds and Leopards so I'm good on those. Would a Metal Flake Teebird be OS enough to replace the Banshee? I just purchases a lighter weight Champ Firebird, but it's gonna take a bit of time to break it into a Banshee flight and I'm looking for something more similar right out of the 'box'. IMO(Firebird is too OS, Eagle too much turn, Teebird too straight for flex shots).

Speed 9 is as high as I would like to go. Please keep suggestions in the Fairway speeds

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Last edited by 4ormal; 08-18-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:05 AM
Birdie Member

Somebody had once mentioned trying a Whippet, but my local course eats DX plastic for breakfast.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

The closest "non" Innova disc I've found was beefy Discraft Ti Stalkers or a Discraft Reaper.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:15 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,031 Times in 672 Posts

It would be a pretty easy jump to a Fireball, C-PD, or Resistor depending on the distance your trying to get. If your dead set on sticking with Innova the C-PD May be your best bet.

Niced: (1)
Old 08-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.7
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 699 Times in 397 Posts

I will say some Firebirds these days aren't stupid OS, and some TBs are. Resistor would be my first suggestion away from Innova.

I used to throw CAL Banshees and had a few newer CAs or www.s that didn't seem any different to be honest. Have you tried a current run Banshee? Somewhere in the mix a few years back they did produce some + molds (don't know how many) but I doubt many of those are still in stores inventory.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 65 Times in 41 Posts

Longbowman and Spark come to mind.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,475 Times in 900 Posts

Innova disc that's easier in to find in stores than a Basshee, no DX? I mean, you have them. Firebird/TeeBird/EagleX. If you want to expand to non-Innova discs there are options, but looking for only Innova discs you can find easily in stores limits you to those three.

A lot of us that throw Banshees have tried the Millennium EXP-X as a Banshee replacement with a lot of success, but good luck fining a store carrying Millennium. You might as well still be looking for Banshees. At any rate, Champ Banshees got domey with a plusy feeling rim so a lot of us switched to the EXP-X; still molded by Innova, very similar flight.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
It would be a pretty easy jump to a Fireball, C-PD, or Resistor depending on the distance your trying to get. If your dead set on sticking with Innova the C-PD May be your best bet.
Thank you for the suggestions Moose

I tried a 150g S line PD for a while and it was AWESOME, but I've had a hard time finding another like it (disc was a friends that he let me use). I probably actually got some of my furthest drives with that disc! With that said, the rim on the PD is slightly larger than I like to throw. I have small hands so any disc with speed 10 or higher and I start having grip issues. I'll look into the Fireball. I've been kinda out of the loop on newer molds so that's why I figured I'd ask everybody here before I start throwing money to the plastic Gods in hopes of them blessing me with the perfect disc :P

Old 08-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post

A lot of us that throw Banshees have tried the Millennium EXP-X as a Banshee replacement with a lot of success, but good luck fining a store carrying Millennium. You might as well still be looking for Banshees. At any rate, Champ Banshees got domey with a plusy feeling rim so a lot of us switched to the EXP-X; still molded by Innova, very similar flight.
Luckily I live in Portland and we have Disc Golf Depot here. Jerry carries pretty much every brand available. I'll see what's up with the Millennium EXP (even knowing it will be hard to find later). Seems like it might be a good match.

And yeah, the Dome on the new Banshees is why I'm avoiding them. I know they won't fly anything like what I'm used to.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Have you tried a current run Banshee? Somewhere in the mix a few years back they did produce some + molds (don't know how many) but I doubt many of those are still in stores inventory.
How do you identify a + (Plus) mold? Does that just mean pop top/domey?