Old 09-21-2019, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,105 Posts

While I appreciate the "Nice Putt" comment, all you can do is play the holes the course provides. Not much you can do if the holes under a hundred feet. I wouldn't crow about hitting an ace that short, but would you be happier with a 2?
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
While I appreciate the "Nice Putt" comment, all you can do is play the holes the course provides. Not much you can do if the holes under a hundred feet. I wouldn't crow about hitting an ace that short, but would you be happier with a 2?
yes. a 2 is a good approach. the ace is just lucky....

Old 09-21-2019, 08:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,229 Times in 1,105 Posts

I'd rather have 1 on a 100 ft hole than a two.

From that distance, I'm not laying up, unless there's some sort of risk involved (nasty rough, rollway, water, etc).
And from as close at 100ft, many of us are truly going for it without really being worried about the come back putt.
When you're throwing with the intent of running it, and it goes just the way you drew it up, is that really luck?

All I know is in the circles I run in, the better players ace more often. I think that's because they give themselves more opportunities to get lucky, and there's a skill to that.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 09-21-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:59 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 760 Times in 651 Posts

This is true, I am running a 200 foot hole on my local in town, Steamboat course trying to ace it every time, still nothing. Only ace I got was on old hole 3 at Powerhouse Ally, in Oahe Downstream State Park that hole was then 193 feet or 183 feet and I got it with an old Rubber Putter 168 grams that my mom now has in her bag. I can't use that mold well due to how much glide it has, I am guessing 6 glide like the closest disc to a Rubber Putter, the Aero. Now the 200 foot hole at Steamboat Park I have come close several times using either a Lighting #2 Upshot 166 grams in Prostyle or now a Star Shark 175 grams. Closest I have got was with the first disc it went through the chains but back then they had single set of chains on a Lighting DB-5 and with the Star Shark I hit the disc cage when it had the old Mach III top on it from the old baskets as they got new Blue modern disc cage Mach III at Powerhouse Ally, in Oahe Downstream State Park.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 762 Times in 531 Posts

A friend of mine, local guy Alex Fraser who's pioneered disc golf around here and been a stand up discer for over 30yrs, also has run the tournament for first 30yrs. Not a great ace in terms of length but the 6 o clock news was here filming a bit on disc golf, I think around the 20th anniversary of our park (15+ yrs ago before everyone had camera phones).

They wanted him to explain disc golf so he says:
"You basically throw a frisbee from here at that pin.. Like this.. BANG". I guess it was on the news, I didn't see it but a helll of a good time to pull one out.. First hole, first throw. I think he taped it on VHS.

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 09-21-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:24 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 29
Niced 133 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
All I know is in the circles I run in, the better players ace more often. I think that's because they give themselves more opportunities to get lucky, and there's a skill to that.
This is true. The second video in this thread is one of 18 holes on a par 2 course that averages 100' per hole. Most players will usually get an ace after playing the course a half dozen times. The best players in the area though will usually ace one or sometimes two holes per round. Still, no one has ever beaten par on the course, even with a $700 prize if someone were to do so.

With holes this short, even new players can sometimes throw in a lucky ace. And while an ace on a 100' hole may seem like a good putt to those of us who have played for a while, it can be a moment of pure joy for less experienced players.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 5
Niced 762 Times in 531 Posts

New players and kids for sure.. Something like that can hook em for life!! My favourite hole on my course is probably 100-120' tight 3' fairway and tons of "pachinko" trees. Anyone can ace, anyone can get a three. One of my favorite tournaments up here this kid who was maybe 10 was crowing at his mom that he got a 2 and she got a three.. Kids now a local phenom in his area. And that was just a happy two.

That being said I don't count the aces I have anymore on our public course, I count the ones I haven't crossed off the list.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
When I see a video of someone scoring a 1 on a short hole like the ones shown above, my response is, "nice putt".
I'm pretty sure that guy has heard "nice putt" a whole lot in his time playing.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 144
Niced 278 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zontar View Post
yes. a 2 is a good approach. the ace is just lucky....
Was Avery's drive really moving fast enough to call it 'just lucky'? You can't just make a blanket statement that all throw ins or aces are not good throws because they were moving past the basket. Avery, above, likely would have been well within 25'. He and Val both use that nose up anhyzer approach a lot, it doesn't yield big comebackers.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 35
Niced 170 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
Was Avery's drive really moving fast enough to call it 'just lucky'? You can't just make a blanket statement that all throw ins or aces are not good throws because they were moving past the basket. Avery, above, likely would have been well within 25'. He and Val both use that nose up anhyzer approach a lot, it doesn't yield big comebackers.

Zontar can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he's just giving us The Business with that post...

Someone in here has stated quite unequivocally that most aces are really not great throws, etc. I forget who it was. I tend to disagree, and I believe Zontar does, too.

I will always take a 1 on the card...unless a zero is possible...