Old 10-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Putter advice

Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency. I'm currently using a Discraft Banger-gt in jawbreaker plastic and a discraft zone in z flx which is more of my approach then putting putter.

Last night, I forgot my bag at home and wanted to play so the closest I had to a putter was my dx shark and it felt much more comfortable in my hand and I ended up putting better from distance with that than my actual putters. Any advice on a putter with a similar hard plastic and low profile?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 01:21 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 133
Niced 749 Times in 394 Posts

I mean, the Shark is just that good of a disc, but also so prevalent in basic disc golf 3 packs that it gets overlooked.

Maybe stay on theme of basic discs and try an Aviar. These are available in multiple plastic types. Aviars are great putters and many swear by them. Your Banger GT also has a devout following, but may not be the best for your style.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Practice a lot.

Do 10 putts from 10’, 15’, 20’, 25’, 30’
If you miss 2 from a distance repeat that distance.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:55 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcskinny14 View Post
Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency. I'm currently using a Discraft Banger-gt in jawbreaker plastic and a discraft zone in z flx which is more of my approach then putting putter.

Last night, I forgot my bag at home and wanted to play so the closest I had to a putter was my dx shark and it felt much more comfortable in my hand and I ended up putting better from distance with that than my actual putters. Any advice on a putter with a similar hard plastic and low profile?
I also agree with the DX Aviar. Another that works for me is a Bt Hard Maiden. Similar to the Aviar but a lower profile.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,569 Times in 706 Posts

If you liked the Shark, You could try a DX Dart.

I putted with a Shark for my first year, then moved onto a Dart for awhile before I went on to actual putters.

A Dx Aviar is also a good bet.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.4
Courses Played: 61
Niced 253 Times in 150 Posts

Quote:
Hey, I'm just getting my putting form down and it works great for my putts within 12 feet but anything past that and I struggle to get consistency.
I know putting from short distances builds confidence, and teaches you how to "make" putts instead of "missing" putts, but I struggled with this same thing since my "original" putting stance didn't give me the power to reach from 20' and beyond consistently.

I moved back to find a stance that gave me the "power" to reach consistently, then I moved closer to drill that stance into my head.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:01 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default found new putter

I borrowed a DD Deputy in Classic Blend plastic and loved it. It fit well in my hand and I threw it well. Still need a bunch of practice but it has gone well so far. Thanks for your help
Old 10-14-2019, 04:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 18
Niced 168 Times in 104 Posts

Just like in ball golf, there is a wide range of "feels" for putters. You'll be throwing a lot of putts, so finding one that "feels" good will help with some psychology. For example, some people like really thin and flat putters. Others like deeper rim putters like a challenger, while others like even deeper rims like a rattler. Some people like really hard plastic putters, others like putters that are so soft you can bend them in half like a taco.
I went from Aviar P&A to Roach to Challenger to Rattler to Scale back to Challenger and I finally think I have a putting style and putter that match up well (that always needs more practice). Since you will putt on almost every hole, take some time to figure out for yourself what you like to toss in the circle and then get a bunch of those to use for practice!

Niced: (1)
Old 10-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 763 Times in 654 Posts

Quote:

Not a Shark shape but a similar disc in wing design with more putter shape to it is a Magnet, the Pro D not soft is a tad softer though then the DX but Pro D is often not Waxed over with a light wax layer to it like DX is. The Magnet and a Magnet clone, Clutch found is stiff plastics have a concave rim to the putter that is more pronounced then a Shark if that was the part you liked. Now if it was the feel of the Shark profile you liked, then try a DX Dart. I know the R-Pro is the most used since a specific top level pro player uses the mold for long putts to short midrange stuff but since you like the DX plastic the DX Dart is the way to go. If you wanted both parts the rim and the shape the closest was a Rubber Putter due to a more stright wing having a big bead on it that helps replicate the wing shape of the Shark.

Another choice is just to use a DX Shark as a putter, I have an uncle who uses a DX Spider and my brother for years used a DX Gator beat to fly straight as his true putter until the Stud came out and I got him those at 175 grams. The Shark in Star at 175 grams I use as a approach disc, the spot a driving putter would go, and as a windy day putter along with a Older Pro at 174 grams that is for approach and windy day putter when I need a less OS disc. Now The Shark was once called a multi purpose disc until the Champion plastic came out then the Champion Shark was called a midrange and then the next year after the DX was changed to midrange.

Of Course you were trying a GT Bangor so, if you did not like the top shape a DGA Steady is the putter for you, same mold just no GT on top. That or try a Gateway Wizard, similar flight and Shape as a DGA Steady just a bit lower glide.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 329 Times in 199 Posts

the Shark will definitely work for a putter. I sometimes use it for LONG putts, when I need a little curve on it.