Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 167
Niced 171 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
It's weak to play it out knowing you are hurt, finish terribly, and then make a post about how you injured yourself on the first hole.
The timing of his post claiming injury and ending his season is what seemed weak to me. It seemed geared toward creating drama to keep more attention for himself. The classy thing to do after losing so badly would be to lay low for a week or two and let this year's champion James Conrad get the attention he is due.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 75
Niced 33 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
The timing of his post claiming injury and ending his season is what seemed weak to me. It seemed geared toward creating drama to keep more attention for himself. The classy thing to do after losing so badly would be to lay low for a week or two and let this year's champion James Conrad get the attention he is due.
That is pretty much what I was saying, but apparently since I haven't won a disc golf world championship I was dumped on

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHearChains View Post
How does one lay low for a week or two when the next week or two are filled with two significant tournaments? Merely the news that he's withdrawing from those is going to garner him attention whether he wants it or not. So he got out ahead of it as best he could and made his post on Monday. Not Saturday night, not Sunday, but Monday night.

Seems to me he gave it 48 hours so as to not step on Conrad's spotlight and did it early enough in the week that it would be a well beaten horse and old news by the time the HOFC got rolling. I'm not sure what else he could do. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 45 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
How does one lay low for a week or two when the next week or two are filled with two significant tournaments? Merely the news that he's withdrawing from those is going to garner him attention whether he wants it or not. So he got out ahead of it as best he could and made his post on Monday. Not Saturday night, not Sunday, but Monday night.

Seems to me he gave it 48 hours so as to not step on Conrad's spotlight and did it early enough in the week that it would be a well beaten horse and old news by the time the HOFC got rolling. I'm not sure what else he could do. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
I think if was really concerned about JC's spotlight he would have remembered to congratulate him in the post. I'm still going with my theory that he played awful and made an excuse. His timing makes no sense. If he couldn't compete he should have just dropped out. He never gave any indication of an injury throughout the tournament other than playing badly.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
I think if was really concerned about JC's spotlight he would have remembered to congratulate him in the post. I'm still going with my theory that he played awful and made an excuse. His timing makes no sense. If he couldn't compete he should have just dropped out. He never gave any indication of an injury throughout the tournament other than playing badly.
He literally shook the man's hand and congratulated him in the scoring trailer after the final hole was complete. Did he really need to bring James' name into a post that had nothing to do with him?

Whatever. Believe your tinfoil hat conspiracy theories if that's what entertains you.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,174 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Still a better theory than Innova/the Duvalls designed the USDGC course to penalize Paul for going to Discraft.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 24
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

Quote:
Yes I do. I was refering to his getting in a funk and not feeling like he could play well the next event or two.

If I thought USDGC counted my statement wouldn't have made any sense.
Your statement still doesn’t make sense. Getting in a funk and afraid of hurting his rating? That is a weak mind and I guess a few people are taking one instance and going with that idea.

The guy AVERAGES round ratings beyond reach of 99% of disc golfers on their best day with lucky breaks.

Questioning anything about his performance is pretty Busch league. Thinking there has to be a wince or limp or something obvious that has an effect on play shows a complete lack of understanding of competing at a pretty high level in ANY sport. Holy crap limping and complaining and wincing is what a weak player does making excuses every hole.

As Jamie said the gallery following him was as big as an NT lead card. He was simply addressing them. Saying thank you for the support and he’s not going to be around.

**** sakes. Nod smile and move on.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 140
Niced 393 Times in 175 Posts

I can't help but think the people who are saying he should've dropped out have never played highly competitive sports. ...or maybe just never played hockey. A hockey player will play through almost anything if they can - look at Chara in last year's cup final...

And the person who said, "you don't get to #1 without being obsessively dedicated" hit the nail on the head.

In terms of the 2 remaining events, I doubt Paul is scared of anything. He is the #1 in the world. He can certainly bounce back from a bad performance. If anything, I'd think he's dealing with burnout. He's had a full year, with lots of travel. He's also been more involved in the business side of the game, which is probably mental exhausting for an athlete.

I guess what I'm saying is, he got hurt, didn't cash, announced injury, and didn't mention Conrad at the time... BFD?

Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 822 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Exactly! Same for congratulating JC; someone would complain that it was a spoiler. And then there's a conspiracy theory that he's deliberately spoiling the results of an Innova tournament!! **gasp!**

And it's even more petty to baselessly speculate that Paul's making up an injury to excuse poor play at USDGC, or "get out of" playing the remaining events of 2019. It's impossible to prove one way or the other (barring the release of actual medical data) so really floating that theory only demonstrates the poster's desire to throw shade, and lack of any factual basis to do so.

More importantly: McBeth has proven time and again that he's an absolutely fierce competitor. I think that if he was in condition to contend for the HOFC, he would 100% be chomping at the bit to get out there and continue one of the winningest years of his career. Especially to move on from a disappointing result at a Major.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:56 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.9
Courses Played: 135
Niced 2,453 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
I worked for this lady who used to come barging into my office and yell at me after I would send an email, and the reason she was yelling at me was always because of what she thought I was really trying to imply or manipulate or whatever with what I wrote. It was never about anything I directly wrote in an email. She was always reading a bunch of stuff into what I wrote and then getting mad over what she imagined I was doing. I was always floored by all the crazy stuff she could imagine was going on. She didn't last long; she crashed and burned after she imagined that everyone who sent her an email was plotting against her.

tl;dr: Sometimes people actually tell the truth.