Old 03-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Question about Vibram Plastic

As someone looking to go to a Birdie Bash and get some sweet vibram plastic for a good price, I was wondering about some suggestions on the two main types of plastic and how they play. I like the idea of having plastic that more or less stays where you throw it, but I also don't have huge drives (my average drive would probably be around 300'-320' if I ever measured it). Having said that, for reference, I am a primarily FH player, but approach BH. In addition to this, I am looking for a Go-to putter, one that is not "Dome-y" that can be thrown in the wind. If the characteristics of each type of vibram plastic could be discussed, along with forehand friendly discs (for the hand) and putting suggestion, that would be great!

TL;DR: Pros, Cons of XLF,XLM? FH friendly mid/drivers? PUTTER Needed. (All Vibram)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 12:39 AM
Banned

Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts

its rubber
Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 94 Times in 48 Posts

I prefer Medium X-link. It's super grippy and is more durable than firm. For FHs I love O-Laces, Laces, Ascents, Ridges, and VPs. The Ridge and VP are flat top putters that feel great for flicks, are wonderful driving putters, can handle wind well, and putt great. I'd recommend a Ridge for your first foray into Vibram putters. As for drivers, Ascents feel great FH (especially flat ones!) and they have the stability I look for in a FH driver (and I love them backhand too!).

Questions for you:
What disc(s) do you use to throw 300-320'?
How long will the holes be, on average, at your Birdie Bash?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 AM

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodysseus View Post
I prefer Medium X-link. It's super grippy and is more durable than firm. For FHs I love O-Laces, Laces, Ascents, Ridges, and VPs. The Ridge and VP are flat top putters that feel great for flicks, are wonderful driving putters, can handle wind well, and putt great. I'd recommend a Ridge for your first foray into Vibram putters. As for drivers, Ascents feel great FH (especially flat ones!) and they have the stability I look for in a FH driver (and I love them backhand too!).

Questions for you:
What disc(s) do you use to throw 300-320'?
How long will the holes be, on average, at your Birdie Bash?
I throw a wraith/krait for my most consistent drives. As a sidebar, I throw teebirds for tight windows and really any intermediate distance that is too long for a Roc. (As you can tell, previously, I've been on the Innova kool-aid). I've putted well with a dart in the past, but when I finally got a few, they turned out to be unbelievably dome-y, which bothers me to no end.
The holes at the Birdie bash will be 250-350 (It's a new course to me). How does a birdie bash work? I was wondering if you play the holes with only the discs you get or do you just play a regular round. And also, how the prizes work. As you can tell, I'm a relative newb.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 150
Niced 60 Times in 20 Posts

I second the Medium love. Medium is much more distinctive in feel than Firm, and is what distinguishes Vibram IMHO.

As Bro said above, Medium is more durable than Firm. Firm wears roughly at the rate of normal premium plastic, whereas Medium is significantly more durable. My primary putting putter is a Medium VP, I've had it for about a year, and if I took the time to clean it I could probably convince you that it's brand new.

VPs are nice beefy putters. Money on approaches and putting if you don't mind the bead and the overstability. I have big hands, so their wider profile feels very comfortable for me.

I don't really flick so I can't comment on that, except to say that the Ascent would be the obvious fairway or the O-Lace for a distance driver.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,045 Posts

For FH, I'd probably go with a firm disc. The Mediums flex as much as a typical gummy disc. If you don't have a really smooth FH and like using fairly beefy discs, I'd go with an Ascent, maybe an O-lace if you like wide rims.

The only downside to the firm mix is that they have some plastic in them so they do break in a bit more like your typical premium plastic disc.

Putters:

VP: Very beefy, big bead, little to no glide, handles wind like a champ.
Ridge: Fairly beefy, big bead, little glide, handles wind pretty well. (think glideless Wizard)
Sole: Fairly straight with a bit of fade, decent glide, no bead.
Summit: Straight to understable, decent glide, little bead.

Honestly, the VP and Ridge are a real chore to throw, it's like throwing stones. If you like your putters to zip and glide when you throw them, go with either the Sole or Summit. If you like your putters to crash to the ground with easy range-ability, you'll like the VP or Ridge.

All of the putters are fairly flat, especially the VP, Ridge, and Summit.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

I would second the Ridge. It's a great putter, good for putts and good off the tee. I think X-Link Medium is a bit more stable and a bit more durable than X-Link firm, but it's also more floppy and less stiff. So if you have a strong preference for a firm, stiff putter, then go with firm, otherwise go with medium. I think for the second disc it really does depend a lot on the course you're playing the birdie bash on: longer holes, shorter holes, dog-legs left or right, etc.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:14 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 31
Niced 61 Times in 40 Posts

When I flick, I use a XLM 170g Ascent. They are good for RHBH throws as well, like a Teebird only beefier. I have flicked the XLM VP on some approaches, does ok. I once tried another guys firm and I didn't see the point of using it. I throw Vibram for the grip and the durability.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 44
Niced 666 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andurain View Post
I throw a wraith/krait for my most consistent drives. As a sidebar, I throw teebirds for tight windows and really any intermediate distance that is too long for a Roc. (As you can tell, previously, I've been on the Innova kool-aid). I've putted well with a dart in the past, but when I finally got a few, they turned out to be unbelievably dome-y, which bothers me to no end.
The holes at the Birdie bash will be 250-350 (It's a new course to me). How does a birdie bash work? I was wondering if you play the holes with only the discs you get or do you just play a regular round. And also, how the prizes work. As you can tell, I'm a relative newb.
I'm fairly certain you only get to throw the birdie bash with the 2 Vibram discs you get, so choose wisely. With holes in the 250-350, it sounds like you'd want a nice stable putter than you can both drive with for intermediate holes and putt with and maybe a fairway driver like an ascent for longer holes.

Alternately, with your level of power you might want to go with a mid like the Ibex to both drive and putt (I've heard the Ibex is similar to a Buzzz although I haven't thrown it). Then you could get a distance driver like a Lace which might give you a chance at birdying the longer holes. With average drives between 300 and 320, I would NOT get an O-Lace. That will be way too beefy for your level of power.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 13
Niced 94 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
I'm fairly certain you only get to throw the birdie bash with the 2 Vibram discs you get, so choose wisely. With holes in the 250-350, it sounds like you'd want a nice stable putter than you can both drive with for intermediate holes and putt with and maybe a fairway driver like an ascent for longer holes.

Alternately, with your level of power you might want to go with a mid like the Ibex to both drive and putt (I've heard the Ibex is similar to a Buzzz although I haven't thrown it). Then you could get a distance driver like a Lace which might give you a chance at birdying the longer holes. With average drives between 300 and 320, I would NOT get an O-Lace. That will be way too beefy for your level of power.
One of the discs has to be a putter.

OP, I too would recommend an Ascent. My recommendations would be a 165-175g (whatever is comfortable for you) XLM Ascent and a 170+ XLM Ridge (Sole would be a fine choice if you want a traditional putter shape and some more glide, they're not too domey).