Niced 604 Times in 320 Posts

#teamfelicia
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2019, 08:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,041 Times in 853 Posts

So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch. Thoroughly Dodge-like. Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep?

Niced: (4)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 98 Times in 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep?

in Charlotte's Web.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,727 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch. Thoroughly Dodge-like. Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep?
Considering how quietly and without fanfare the original announcement...halfway through the season...for the Final was, I wonder how many people were aware that the original plan was for Emporia in the first place?

Given how odd the whole thing with Emporia being the host came about and was publicized, it always felt like a place holder to me. Like Dodge was scrambling trying to find a spot and settled on Emporia and a later date because they're a solid fall-back option. They're really good at hosting and could probably pull together a pretty professional looking/feeling event in a matter of a few weeks if needed. But they did it while still seeking a more tour-friendly (geographically) spot in the meantime. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think this move to Charlotte is entirely the work of Jeff Spring in the week since the sale announcement was made. I think it has been in the works for longer than that. In other words, it's Dodge-like because he was probably heavily involved in bringing it about.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,433 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Imagine the uproar, had Steve Dodge made the exact same announcement.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 160
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 114 Times in 62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Considering how quietly and without fanfare the original announcement...halfway through the season...for the Final was, I wonder how many people were aware that the original plan was for Emporia in the first place?

Given how odd the whole thing with Emporia being the host came about and was publicized, it always felt like a place holder to me. Like Dodge was scrambling trying to find a spot and settled on Emporia and a later date because they're a solid fall-back option. They're really good at hosting and could probably pull together a pretty professional looking/feeling event in a matter of a few weeks if needed. But they did it while still seeking a more tour-friendly (geographically) spot in the meantime. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think this move to Charlotte is entirely the work of Jeff Spring in the week since the sale announcement was made. I think it has been in the works for longer than that. In other words, it's Dodge-like because he was probably heavily involved in bringing it about.

Agreed. I looked for the Tour Championship on the DGPT website yesterday, and couldn't find anything. It seemed to be scheduled as a placeholder. Heck, the tour Rankings haven't been updated since June.

Solid idea to keep it in the Southeast, especially so soon after the other two events. Plus, they've contracted the best designer in the game and top notch local player to work on the layout, great choices made with deep pockets. Since CLT just hosted the Am Worlds last year, the course is already in quality shape.
I have so many questions how they will "Pro Championship" the course, do they shut down the park road along 5,6 and 7? , any lengthening possibilities for #9?, use the Web layout for #18, to make it a challenging final hole?, but mainly, will they be able to close the park to other users to cut down on car traffic and eliminate interference with other users?

I do feel for the CDGC volunteers, I believe a lot of them work the UDDGC down in Rock Hill, then two weeks later another major tournament! Best of luck guys!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,113 Times in 563 Posts

This is a great change, for the golfers and online spectators.

Kansas golf is kind of boring to play, and very boring to watch. GBO gets so many views because people are horny for disc golf in April, and it's a National Tour. Not necessarily because the golf is great to watch.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:50 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,180 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblink86 View Post
in Charlotte's Web.
LOL! Props for that one!

As to the venue change... Emporia has its yearly tournaments, and while I'm sure they would've loved to host the DGPT Championship, they're probably not going to lose a ton of sleep over this move.

It's also a good move for Charlotte, and I suspect one Big Jerm Koling may have had an influence behind the scenes to have Charlotte host the event. The course will be fine for pro play, and I again suspect that they've been working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Imagine the uproar, had Steve Dodge made the exact same announcement.
Some might have taken cheap shots just for the sake of making them (like that ever happens in politics, but I digress...), but this would not have been a big deal if it had happened under Dodge's watch and he'd announced it. As long as Charlotte hosts a good tournament, any potential controversy will have been forgotten before Christmas...
Old 09-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 73 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch.
I can't speak to anything related to DGPT prior to 10 days ago, but I can say Jeff Spring is as buttoned up an event professional I've dealt with in a 50-year communication and marketing career, most at executive level.

Jeff's purposeful bearing, clear intent and collaborative tone helped bring a very complicated situation to resolution in an extraordinarily narrow time frame. He strikes me as having the ability to slow himself rather than speed up as pressure increases. All through this narrow-beam balancing act, he has been very mindful of maintaining the bridges to existing DGPT partners as he works to connect new spans to opportunities.

Granted, it was happenstance that the Charlotte Club was in the right place at the right time with the right resources to help make this happen. But it was no accident, with years having been spent building the facilities, P&R relationships and membership base necessary to even make this possible.

The CDGC's goal is to help put on a show that will make it very difficult for the DGPT not to come back to Charlotte. If we can pull that off in six weeks, think what we can do with a year.

Niced: (4)

Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 30
Niced 216 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
I think it is as un-Dodge like as you can get. For better or worse (and Steve has done a lot of good for Professional Disc Golf) he didn't wavier from an idea without being beaten over the head with it not working.

This is about avoiding embarrassment of having hardly any of the qualifiers attend the Tour Championship. It sounds like Plan B was to not have a championship at all, rather than have a poorly attended one.

This was damage control of the hasty decision to have it in November in Kansas.