Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.5
Courses Played: 292
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 424 Times in 201 Posts
Default 14 Hour SeaTac Layover !!!!

I'll be traveling from Tokyo, Japan to Pensacola, Florida with a 14 hour layover in between at SeaTac on Thursday the 27th of April. The plane lands at 0930, which probably gives me a solid 6 or 7 hours of daylight to do some chucking after I get through customs and rent a car.

My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport. DGCR #36 Bag Tag will be available for swapping as well.

Chasing courses on a Thursday is probably a deal breaker for most, but I thought I'd give it a chance and hope for the best. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 206 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
...My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport. DGCR #36 Bag Tag will be available for swapping as well...
Local SeaTac guy here. Welcome and hopefully, well met, as I will try to meet up for a round if circumstances allow and you want company.

I would suggest replacing Lake Fenwick unless there is a personal reason to visit. It is notoriously difficult to navigate for any but serious hikers under good conditions. Trails are narrow and steep. Add in huge drainage issues (think ankle deep bogs everywhere) and our wettest winter since 196x, and you get pretty much unplayable, at least right now.

White River, on the other hand, drains beautifully and is hands down a much better course. 20-30 minutes from the airport at 1600 hrs today.

I haven't played anywhere else here in Wa, but check weather and course conditions regardless.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 150
Niced 534 Times in 229 Posts

I spent a summer in Seattle a few years back. Lakewood, SeaTac, and White River were my favorites. Each one offers a completely different terrain and style of course.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:04 PM
* Ace Member *

That's a bummer about Lake Fenwick, it looks like such a unique course. Your insight is truly invaluable. Meeting up sounds great, I just made my travel plans and will probably immerse myself in the researching of local area courses before finalizing on a schedule.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 206 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
That's a bummer about Lake Fenwick, it looks like such a unique course...
It truly IS unique. Unfortunately, due to difficult topology, lack of maintenance, and a fairly crime ridden neighborhood, it is not even on the C list (even though it is my closest course).

Let me know where you decide where to go...
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 30
Niced 69 Times in 46 Posts

So, your gonna pretty much fly over the Seatac course at about 200' off the deck when you fly into Seatac airport, its 27 hole layout is probably one of the best in the state, and it will take you maybe 5 minutes to get to from the airport, and you're not gonna go throw there ? #headscratcher #playarealpar81 #thenotoriusmachxbaskets
Old 03-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 150
Niced 534 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain jack View Post
So, your gonna pretty much fly over the Seatac course at about 200' off the deck when you fly into Seatac airport, its 27 hole layout is probably one of the best in the state, and it will take you maybe 5 minutes to get to from the airport, and you're not gonna go throw there ? #headscratcher #playarealpar81 #thenotoriusmachxbaskets
I was thinking the same thing but it looks like he's trying to bag some courses he hasn't played yet.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentCrook View Post
I was thinking the same thing but it looks like he's trying to bag some courses he hasn't played yet.
Bingo. I really liked SeaTac my last time through, but I would like to pad the stats a little bit
Old 03-09-2017, 05:11 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 652 Times in 289 Posts

Quote:
My course priority list is Lakewood King County Park, Lake Fenwick Park, and if there's time (wishful thinking) maybe White River. I could potentially be persuaded to throw Fort Steilacoom instead of those 2 or 3, but I'm kind of worried about straying too far from the airport.
Lakewood is, quite literally, a walk in the park. There are some decent elevation changes, wind can be a factor, and there are some angled greens to watch out for. Bunch of practice baskets to warm up. Overall a good course to start on.

Lake Fenwick should be playable. I played it multiple times last week while wearing basketball shoes. It is really only a couple of holes on top of a hill that can have tricky footing. Depending on which course is a higher priority for you, there's a couple ways to go: check it out, and if you don't like it, you're halfway to White River anyway; -OR- go to White River and come back to Fenwick if you have time on the way back to the airport.

White River is my favorite of the three. Lots of line-shaping opportunities through trees, a few wide open throws. Red and Blue tees to try and hit different lines/gaps. Mandos Pro Shop is nearby in case you want to shop for some gear.

SeaTac is my favorite course in the area, but sounds like you're looking to hit up the others.

Steilacoom is a nice 45 hole complex but between the driving distance and potential traffic to/from the airport plus the three courses (NW, SE, Ray's 9) it would probably eat up most/all your time.

If I were planning to play during that layover, I would go to Lakewood first, then make the drive to White River, then hit up Fenwick on the way back. Some decent places to eat along the way too.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Awesome post, thanks