Old 08-16-2017, 12:42 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 351
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 983 Times in 324 Posts
Question LEAGUES! Tell me about them.

I'm considering making a leagues functionality for the site and I'm hoping to get feedback from people that run them or that have information on doing so. I'm ignorant when it comes to the details of how leagues are organized, the various types, etc. My goal is to eventually walk away with a list of features and rules that you guys would like to see in a feature such as this. Then I can go off and build it and once I have the basics down, I can add cool touches to it in the future.

So for types, there are:

1) Singles
2) Doubles
3) Tags

What am I missing?

So do singles and doubles both play for points only? Are entry fees tracked? Is there a default point scale or does the person in charge just make up an arbitrary scale?

If anyone can break down each type of league and then if you were running it, what you'd like to see in terms of tools, etc. to make your life easier that would be awesome. Things like CSV uploads / downloads, display options, general information reflected on a league's page, etc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by timg; 08-16-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:37 PM
*Administrator*

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 90
Niced 2,199 Times in 878 Posts

LOL...

I run a league at Lake Township park. The premise is quite simple: You're playing against your own average. Whoever beats their average the best in terms of percent is the winner. So scores are like +2% or -5% and so on. Everyone pays in $3 and for every 4 or so people they get to pick something from the bin which is pretty well loaded with plastic and other assorted DG goodies. So if 8 people show up then the top 2 get goodies.

We also have an Ace Pool. The payout is limited to $50 maximum per ace to prevent outsiders from "snipering" the pot. It's $1 per 18 holes (essentially $1 per week).
Old 08-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Niced 206 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
...So do singles and doubles both play for points only?
Only have experience with doubles. We play for 'points' which equals ...

Quote:
Are entry fees tracked?
To the dollar.

Quote:
Is there a default point scale or does the person in charge just make up an arbitrary scale?
We use a standardized payout sheet based on number of entries.

Quote:
If anyone can break down each type of league and then if you were running it, what you'd like to see in terms of tools, etc. to make your life easier that would be awesome. Things like CSV uploads / downloads, display options, general information reflected on a league's page, etc.
No specific advice here, just keep it simple and easy to manage. Those of us running these rarely get enough help. Easiest is best, at least initially.

Last edited by PBokor; 08-16-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:31 PM
*Administrator*

Well the idea is that I could generate the payout automatically for example. Basically in addition to tracking standings for whatever format your league may have, it would take care of some of the busy work as well. My thing is I just need a blueprint to work off of in terms of what people want from this kind of thing.

If there isn't that much interest in it, it'll certainly save me a heck of a lot of time

Niced: (1)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 159 Times in 93 Posts

I live in a small town with a 9 hole course so our league is pretty simple. We do 9 holes random doubles, followed by 18 holes singles for weekly bag tags. We don't charge a fee to play other than buying the bag tag, and do $1 ace pot with $100 cap. Winning doubles team gets their $1 back from the ace pot.

I would like to see functionality to save each weeks simgles scores to be able to assign handicaps, and use the information for end of year tournaments and awards. Filter options to count number of aces, lowest round of the year, etc...

Thanks!

Niced: (2)
Old 08-16-2017, 11:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 1125
Niced 77 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

I probably run more leagues than anyone if you want to chat on the phone Tim feel free to give me a call. I love disc golf scene right now . . . but it would also be cool to have it on the same page as everything else I do disc golf wise.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 1125
Niced 77 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to harr0140

Handicap (playing against your average . . . or I do a rolling average) league is an additional format

Singles leagues often have 3 or more divisions so that has to be an option.

Generally I see the points scale being 1 point for each person int he division so first gets 10 if 10 people are there and last gets 1 . . . some people break ties wierd . . . I just split the points so a tie for 2nd and 3rd in a 10 person division each gets 8.5 . . .not that they both get 9's. The other way I have seen points series being handled is 100 points for first no matter how many play . . . and then the points per person beaten is handled like this . . . (10 people in the division so second gets 90 3rd gets 80 etc etc etc) btu I don't like that because if you are alone in a division and win you get 100 . . . no matter how well you play . . . thats why i go with the 1 point per player per division.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 331
Niced 4,086 Times in 1,822 Posts

Motor City Chain Gang does a handicap system where each division has an established "scratch" score.

A player's handicap is based on how their average compares to the scratch score for their division.
If your average > scratch: handicap = 80% x (Div scratch - player's Avg)... which will be a negative #.
If your average < scratch: handicap = 200% x (Div scratch - player's Avg)... which will be a positive #.

This discourages players from bagging in a lower division than they really belong in.
Points awarded weekly to the top handicapped scores in each division. The larger the division, the deeper the point payouts go.

AM1, AM2, AM3 get points for top 5 handicapped scores for the week.
Masters, GMaster and Women award points for top 3 score each week.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 08-17-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:04 AM
*Administrator*

Ok..

So in terms of a functionality list:

* League Type (Points, Average, Optional Handicap?)
* League Schedule
* Player Divisions
* Players List (entered by LC weekly?)
* Recording Weekly Scores
* Point Distribution Options, generally descending order from a "top total". Does this scale "reset" for each division? So the top player in each gets the same # of points?
* Ace Pool Total?
* Ace Hits that week?

What else am I missing here?