Old 04-16-2021, 10:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 101
Niced 169 Times in 72 Posts

A few other tips:

1. If your hole has you needing to watch an area near the intended line from the tee: make sure the players know you are there and then do your best to be out of the line of sight so you're not a distraction, nor in the way of the player's intended line. Once the disc comes to rest, then you should appear and give the In or OB signals.

2. If your hole has the potential of causing a backup, you may be called upon to let the card on the tee know when it is safe to throw. Talk to the TD about this - if you're going to be responsible for the pace of play by holding cards back until it is safe, you'll want to know how the TD would prefer you to do this.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-19-2021, 08:00 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 72
Niced 480 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arisugawa View Post
A few other tips:

1. If your hole has you needing to watch an area near the intended line from the tee: make sure the players know you are there and then do your best to be out of the line of sight so you're not a distraction, nor in the way of the player's intended line. Once the disc comes to rest, then you should appear and give the In or OB signals.
I will disagree with this. At Ledgestone, we instruct all our spotters to be in a position where the player can see the spotter and the spotter can see the player. Many of our spotters are giving go / no-go signals for safety reasons. Seeing a disc leave a player's hand makes it much easier to spot. It's better to stand at the edge of the fairway motionless than pop out of no where at the wrong time. Best thing to do is to ask the TD where they want you to position yourself.

Niced: (2)
Old 04-19-2021, 04:58 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 346
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 5,935 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupicka View Post
I will disagree with this. At Ledgestone, we instruct all our spotters to be in a position where the player can see the spotter and the spotter can see the player. Many of our spotters are giving go / no-go signals for safety reasons. Seeing a disc leave a player's hand makes it much easier to spot. It's better to stand at the edge of the fairway motionless than pop out of no where at the wrong time. Best thing to do is to ask the TD where they want you to position yourself.
Agree with this 100%, especially the underlined.
Even if you lose sight the disc in the air because of the angle or sunlight, seeing the disc as it leaves their hand and its initial trajectory gives you a good idea where to "pick it up" again. If it was BH/FH, or turning over, etc...are all clues that help you find it again while still in flight.

There's no reason to hide out of sight. As long as you're relatively still, you're not a distraction 400ft away. Let them know you're there and ready to watch them throw. You don't want anyone wondering, "Where's the spotter on this hole? "

If the previous card is still putting out, I cross my arms over my head in an "X". When it's clear, I wave them on with a "come here" type of motion.

If it's a blind hole and I need position myself where we can't see each other (Toboggan #8), I come into their line if sight, tell them to give me moment to get into position. When I'm ready, I'll shout "OK. Bring it!"... but not so loudly that it should shakes up players on nearby holes.

My experience has been players appreciate positive communication.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-19-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:34 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 33
Niced 715 Times in 249 Posts

It's also a good idea to remember exactly where you spotted from. It gets very easy to confuse bushes when you're down in them. Being able to point out where you spotted a disc land, and where you were when you saw it, is really really helpful.

Niced: (1)