Old 04-09-2021, 12:33 PM

Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Upper Park Shift Bag Mod

The Shift is an amazing bag! - but I did not need the "Waist stash pockets" so had my wife remove them. Very happy with the Result. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5155.jpg (60.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5156.jpg (72.8 KB, 106 views)
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 04-09-2021, 05:23 PM

Courses Played: 6
Niced 13 Times in 4 Posts

Awesome. Those waist pockets are the one thing that keeps my from buying a shift. The fact that they attached the should straps to them instead of the bag itself makes no sense.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:09 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 68
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 92 Times in 55 Posts

Good job on the modification; your wife did well.

I've been using a Shift for the last month and find that I like the waist pockets. Truck keys get clipped in and go in one side; bag tag, mini and chamois cloth go in the other side. I've also found - contrary to some reviews I've seen - that attaching the shoulder straps to the wings of the side pockets makes sense in that when grabbing the strap to shoulder the bag, it pulls the pocket wing out and away preventing it from folding in against my back. I can't see that it would work the same if the straps were attached to the bag.

At any rate, if you decide to do away with the side pockets and attach the straps to the bag itself, the issue becomes moot, no? Perfect solution.

I agree with you that the Shift is a great bag...very light, comfortable, holds just enough discs for me to play any course, doesn't hold so many that I'm tempted to bring along my entire collection.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-18-2021, 08:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,110 Times in 687 Posts

I've heard of a couple folks where those waist straps were the main drawback for the Shift. It's nice to see someone finally pull the trigger and cut them off!

Personally, they fit my waist okay and I do like the waist straps fastened on some of the crazier sloped/rugged courses where I play. But if they're not helping, I think it's silly to complain about the straps when they're so easy to cut off.

For the price and quality, I think you'd be hard pressed to find any backpack better than the Shift if you don't mind the limitation on number of discs you can carry. It was the first backpack bag I ever bought, and it will be the next, assuming it ever wears out enough to justify needing a new one!
Old 04-21-2021, 06:12 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 82
Niced 32 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmorningrebel View Post
Awesome. Those waist pockets are the one thing that keeps my from buying a shift. The fact that they attached the should straps to them instead of the bag itself makes no sense.
Everybody is different, I guess. I use those pockets more than any of the interior non-disc pockets. Their convenient location at the base of the straps is one of the big draws for me and their location makes perfect sense.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 88
Niced 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiketheGoalie View Post
Everybody is different, I guess. I use those pockets more than any of the interior non-disc pockets. Their convenient location at the base of the straps is one of the big draws for me and their location makes perfect sense.
I actually like them as well.

Niced: (2)