Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 502 Times in 245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
These ratings are making a mockery of the top 25
LOLOL!!

Those ratings are what's making a mockery of the Top 25? No, it's actually the Top 25 that is making a mockery of the Top 25.

If you give AF about the distinction between a 4.67 and a 4.71, that's your own problem. Those two numbers are averaged from different quantities of individual ratings, most of which are 4.500000 or 5.000000.

The fine line distinctions in the Top 10 and Top 25 lists don't mean anything about course quality. They only mean that you can take mathematics beyond the limits of usefulness and into the realm of pointlessness.

The root cause problem is not that there are vendetta reviews, it's that people care about minute skews in average ratings that can be caused by vendetta reviews. And then people want to go purge vendetta reviews. Then the Top 25 list will be perfect and everyone is happy, right?? No. This thread is just the next step in a death march of futility.

Free your mind.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 502 Times in 245 Posts

Dang, missed the edit window.

Just want to clarify my stance:

I'm all for clearing obvious drive-by reviews that are for personal reasons, especially if they don't pertain to the course itself.

However, clearing reviews in order to "fix" the Top 10/Top 25 lists is a fool's errand.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
The fine line distinctions in the Top 10 and Top 25 lists don't mean anything about course quality. They only mean that you can take mathematics beyond the limits of usefulness and into the realm of pointlessness.
Awesome.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 261 Times in 116 Posts

Take out the the top and bottom 20% of reviews and get your average from the middle 60%. You'll get a much better picture of what reasonable players think is the courses' proper rating. Sycophants and revenge reviewers skew results from both ends.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,021 Times in 965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Take out the the top and bottom 20% of reviews and get your average from the middle 60%. You'll get a much better picture of what reasonable players think is the courses' proper rating. Sycophants and revenge reviewers skew results from both ends.
I doubt it would make much difference.

My local course would jump from 4.41 to 4.43---not sure that's a much better picture.

Only a tiny percentage of courses are significantly affected by rogue reviews, and I'm probably going out a limb with my use of "significantly".
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 35.5
Courses Played: 233
Niced 806 Times in 390 Posts

Pretty entertaining thread. I guess I can only give my take from my perspective. DGCR is a tool for me. It helps me decide what courses I might like to play when traveling. I pick my home base, filter on 18 hole courses rated 3.5 and higher, pick the distance I am willing to drive. That is where ratings end for me. I only care about the content of the reviews from that point on. I look to the content to find what courses align with my personal preferences in a course. If I hate trees, then maybe the 1.0 outlying review, hating on trees, is a valuable. If I love scenic courses, maybe the 1.5 outlying review, based on scenery, is valuable. Ratings are totally and completely subjective.........like every other review functionality of any website.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 59
Niced 220 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Pretty entertaining thread. I guess I can only give my take from my perspective. DGCR is a tool for me. It helps me decide what courses I might like to play when traveling. I pick my home base, filter on 18 hole courses rated 3.5 and higher, pick the distance I am willing to drive. That is where ratings end for me. I only care about the content of the reviews from that point on. I look to the content to find what courses align with my personal preferences in a course. If I hate trees, then maybe the 1.0 outlying review, hating on trees, is a valuable. If I love scenic courses, maybe the 1.5 outlying review, based on scenery, is valuable. Ratings are totally and completely subjective.........like every other review functionality of any website.

Too much logic. YOU FAIL DGCR!!!!

Niced: (1)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 230 Times in 112 Posts

Frankly I’m amazed there isn’t a button that users can flag bad reviews with to help mods regulate it.

If someone rated our course a 0 because they hit trees that we specifically left for a reason I’d flat out demand the review be removed.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,746 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
Frankly I’m amazed there isn’t a button that users can flag bad reviews with to help mods regulate it.

If someone rated our course a 0 because they hit trees that we specifically left for a reason I’d flat out demand the review be removed.
There is a link at the bottom of each review that says, "report this review".

Stories like this woman being sued for $1 million for a giving her doctor a bad review are interesting in context...
https://nypost.com/2018/05/28/i-wrot...e-a-nightmare/

Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 287
Niced 124 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
Why stop there? If you want an accurate rating, delete all ratings except mine. Now you have a course's TRUE rating.