Old 01-26-2019, 02:18 AM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 463
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 689 Times in 296 Posts

Go the a state with a plethora of courses. The midwest in the summer is pretty fantastic. MN, WI, MI, IA are pretty great golf. Or do the NE. From Maple Hill and up through Maine, you could easily eat up four weeks with great golf....not to mention fantastic scenery.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 125
Niced 2,459 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
Go the a state with a plethora of courses. The midwest in the summer is pretty fantastic. MN, WI, MI, IA are pretty great golf. Or do the NE. From Maple Hill and up through Maine, you could easily eat up four weeks with great golf....not to mention fantastic scenery.
Good suggestions for mid-spring through fall. Though since our traveler is talking about staying in one place, and driving an hour or so from it, you might have to whittle those lists down. The Midwest may be a bit too spread out, more suited to a road trip; I'm not sure of the distances in New England, but it would be enticing for the other vacation activities.

With the parameters of this trip---disc golf focus, 4 weeks, staying in one place and exploring from there---Charlotte would be a good fit. Especially if you're willing to drive 2 hours to venture out. Charlotte may not have fabulous courses, but it has a ton of good and very good ones. 2 hours southwest is the Augusta area, with the IDGC, Langley Pond, and some other worthwhile stops. an hour west is the upstate of South Carolina, with a cluster of very nice courses. And 2 hours to the northwest are the N.C. mountains, with some great courses and beautiful scenery.

But Charlotte is better suited for a spring or fall vacation. You may not like the summer, if you're not from the southeast, and perhaps not even if you are. And it's not the greatest vacation place, from a non-disc-golf perspective.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 19
Niced 46 Times in 30 Posts

Charlotte, NC, Austin, TX, and Pittsburgh have some nice courses. I would also look for some of the course that are played on the DGPT. I would love to play Idlewild!
Old 01-27-2019, 06:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Actually, since the parameters include anywhere in the World for 4 weeks, I'm thinking maybe Finland in summer.

I don't know the drive times, but any country that size with that many courses must have a bunch you can reach within an hour or so. Not to mention being an exotic overseas trip for an American, with the opportunity to visit other parts of Europe.

Plus, more daylight in which to play.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-27-2019, 07:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,096 Times in 521 Posts

I would probably choose Alaska around the time of the State Fair and play whatever disc golf there happens to be nearby. I care more about seeing giant vegetables than i do about hitting more courses.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Yeah, but the inquiry was about a trip planned solely on disc golf. 4 weeks, makes me think quantity in addition to just quality. Not a road trip, limits things like the West Coast tour (which sounds great), and to high-density disc golf locations.

None of which is what I'd do for myself. Which would be a great vacation area with good disc golf thrown in.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:14 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 75
Niced 54 Times in 30 Posts

I live and play in North Carolina. Charlotte is my home, but my heart is in the Western NC Mountains.

Plenty of hospitality here. 100s of courses. Thriving disc golf family. I'm very sure you will move here after you play for 4 weeks.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 463
Niced 689 Times in 296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Good suggestions for mid-spring through fall. Though since our traveler is talking about staying in one place, and driving an hour or so from it, you might have to whittle those lists down. The Midwest may be a bit too spread out, more suited to a road trip; I'm not sure of the distances in New England, but it would be enticing for the other vacation activities.

With the parameters of this trip---disc golf focus, 4 weeks, staying in one place and exploring from there---Charlotte would be a good fit. Especially if you're willing to drive 2 hours to venture out. Charlotte may not have fabulous courses, but it has a ton of good and very good ones. 2 hours southwest is the Augusta area, with the IDGC, Langley Pond, and some other worthwhile stops. an hour west is the upstate of South Carolina, with a cluster of very nice courses. And 2 hours to the northwest are the N.C. mountains, with some great courses and beautiful scenery.

But Charlotte is better suited for a spring or fall vacation. You may not like the summer, if you're not from the southeast, and perhaps not even if you are. And it's not the greatest vacation place, from a non-disc-golf perspective.
There are plenty of places in those states that you could plop down in one spot and have plenty of golf within an hour. I mean, we do have more than 300 courses in WI alone...
Old 01-27-2019, 09:27 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 133
Niced 640 Times in 332 Posts

OP, are you open to anywhere in the world?

I would second Sweden and road trip around Europe... you may not even need a car since the train system is stellar.

Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
There are plenty of places in those states that you could plop down in one spot and have plenty of golf within an hour. I mean, we do have more than 300 courses in WI alone...
Ah, I misread your post. I read "MN, WI, MI, IA" as all of them, not any of them---a road trek through that area. Which would no doubt be fabulous. But, yes, I'm sure there are locations there with both quantity and quality within an hour or so's drive.

A brief look indicates that the Twin Cities have roughly the same number of 3.5+ rated courses within 100 miles as Charlotte.