Old 05-21-2020, 04:45 PM

Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I've hit, as I've said, hundreds of thousands of balls on driving ranges. I figured it out recently, probably a quarter million over 50 years. I was a range rat by anybody's definition. I've also competed in many tournaments, and won several over the years. Watching something fly through the air toward a target is a primeval joy. I will say also, that trying to deduce mechanics from watching a ball fly or disc fly with out a video of the form, is a waste of time and energy. Easier and more practical to take video at home into a net.

I've thrown twice today, for 30 minutes each, and practiced putting twice also....into a net. I'm working on late reach back and hip torque to start the throw, when I think I've got some progress, I'll video it and see. If I like what I see, I'll field test it. Its raining cat and dogs now, and its rained 3 days in a row, and I haven't missed one minute of disc practice or video work. Last time I did field work, I learned more accurately by using a ball golf range finder how far discs were flying, a left over from tournament days. I took that feel and knowledge back to the net and camera, knowing more accurately what I had to work on. My net is literally 25 feet from where i'm typing this, taking a break from working at home, I can start throwing in one minute. The field I throw in is 10 minutes away by ebike, and usually filled with small humanoids chasing a ball. But, its raining and gusting up to 25 miles per hour now. A waste of time, a waste of energy. Get a net. Get a 60 fps camera.

If you take a golf lesson, if the pro is any good at all, he will have professional tournament experience unlike Shawn Clements, and will have at least competed on the mini tours for a spell. The first thing he will do is what???? Take a video of your swing, probably into a net. Then, compare your swing to a tour pro. When you are selecting a disc pro to compare your throw with, you should select someone who is about the same size, and moves like you do. I don't move like Drew, he's a quick short guy. I relate to Ricky, so I'm using his throw and technique for my model. The video where Brodie is taking a lesson from Drew is comical, Drew moves like a Squirrel on crack, Brodie is an elephant, at 6' 5", moves differently, slower. Brodie should be studying Stokley or Climo, the big guys like Jerm.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 51 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parbequeue View Post
I resonate with this to a tee and I think many others do too.

Personally, I had huge gainz for a day or two and then I rushed into fixing the next thing. I hadn’t fully understood why I got the gainz. Pretty much instantly wiping out my progress UNTIL I understood why/how the technique/move works - only then would I be able to do it.

As dramatic as it sounds it absolutely crippled my mental health. I placed great importance on improving and like you said, months and years pass to make these improvements just to lose them again, it’s not good for the psyche.

A few important things I learned along the way;

1. Start from the ground up - this is your footwork and posture, they are tied together somewhat I found. If the footwork was great but posture terrible then it cancels out. If the footwork is cooked then you’re already losing the battle.

2. Standstills/one step are good up to a point (IMO), but really you need to practice both x step and one steps. I feel I could’ve shaved some time off by messing with both, although my first initial breakthrough was with a one step and feeling the weight of the disc.

3. Use a hammer. Seriously. Best training tool. Throw that thing and it will give you instant feedback. Don’t try to put your body into positions but just learn to throw the hammer and you can replicate a similar feeling with the disc.

4. Exaggerate movements. Example; you think your backswing is wide enough away from
You= it’s probably barely wide enough. You think you’re turned back enough = you’ve got plenty more to turn back. Once you’ve gone too far on a movement, you can dial it back and find the sweet spot. I would spend months hung up on a particular thing because I never experimented with a more extreme version.

5. Practice times - Sw gave me a hard time for this is in the past and when he said it I did face palm myself. I would throw for hours trying to figure out how to do / change something. It’s counterintuitive as you just end up developing bad habits. I limit my practice to 45mins tops now. And if I have a breakthrough during the session I’ll spend some time just throwing my bag, paying attention to how it feels, sometimes going back to the previous form to see the difference.

6. Probably the most important thing I’ve learned and I wanted to do a post on it... Now this seems painfully obvious but you have to study yourself to make progress. For the longest time I would just take video > post here > get feedback > go to field and throw > post here > get feedback > repeat. I never sat down and truly analyzed what was happening and why. The more you watch yourself, watch pros, watch others form progress, you can see where you’re going wrong. “Oh my feet are travelling to the left” or “oh my release is too far to the right, what would I do to fix that?”.

The past 5 months I’ve made a huge effort to really study myself and try to understand what is happening and why, instead of seeing what SW and the gang say first, and I’ve seen the biggest gains in this time (from barely 300 to 390-400 pretty effortlessly).

I get it, it can be hard and sometimes impossible to even know what to fix and how, but we’re lucky to have all of SW, HUB , Rhatton etc, + golf videos to guide us easier.

Finally - do drills. And film them. I was doing almost every single drill wrong. And that was AFTER two years.

Hope this helps. Don’t forget why we play and why we want to improve. Lacing a 350+ golf line with a low speed disc that you have complete control over is worth it IMO! And we can play the game longer, pain free.

Man this is sticky worthy advice IMO. You basically nailed exactly my experience and my lessons learned so far in blowing up my form and trying to learn to throw backhand correctly. I certainly resonate with the bit you said about filming yourself doing drills. I recently started filming myself doing the butt wipes and doorframe drills and just comparing frame by frame how I looked vs sidewinder, and it allowed me to spot some really key motions I was doing wrong.

I think one thing I’d add, and maybe this is just my experience, but I find it super important to take an occasional break from form work and just play disc golf. Remind yourself why you are doing this and have some fun. Personally, when I feel myself getting frustrated or discouraged, I’ll go play some putter sidearm rounds, just working on hitting lines with my putter with just a smooth wrist flick from a standstill. It’s lots of fun and I don’t have to worry about reinforcing bad form or falling back on bad habits. Plus it’s a super useful shot to have in your bag. At the end of the day, just remember that disc golf is supposed to be fun :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2020, 11:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.9
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,428 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulelethrower View Post
If you take a golf lesson, if the pro is any good at all, he will have professional tournament experience unlike Shawn Clements, and will have at least competed on the mini tours for a spell.
Hank Haney never played in the PGA.

I don't know why you feel the need to bash SC and your facts aren't straight. I have never played ball golf, but have learned much from him and I think many others on here have as well. A few times I thought I would never play disc golf again due to injuries from other instruction, but SC's wisdom helped me come back from those injuries and throw further with even less effort.

According to SC bio:
Canadian Tour and North Florida PGA mini tour 1997 to 1999
The only Canadian PGA member to ever play left and right in the same bag;
Medalist Canadian PGA playing ability test for Class A Member
Intrawest Mt Tremblant 1999-2001
Director of instruction at Taboo Resort and Spa (Mike Weir’s Home Course) 2002-2004
Playing and Instruction Editor for Golf Tips Magazine from 2001 to 2004
Director of Instruction at the Richmond Hill Golf Learning Centre 2005 to present.
2011 and 2015 final 3 Nominee for PGA of Ontario Teacher of the Year
2018! New Director of Development for Royal Québec Golf Club and Academy

Niced: (2)