Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 41 Times in 14 Posts
Default Will Schusterick form critiques

So Will has just announced personalized form critiques through his discgolfinstruction.com site.

This is his demonstration critique video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J83w...ature=youtu.be

His main critique for this guy is about using his lower body. :50 through 1:38.

Can anyone help explain what Will is saying, maybe explain it in a different way?

I'm thinking it has some relation to the door frame drill.
Is he saying the guy needs a slower weight shift so he has time to leverage against the ground for power? It would be possible to have 100% of your weight on the back foot and then sort of hop onto your front foot with 100% of your weight, a full weight shift but it wouldn't be powerful.
Would this be an example of transferring the energy into the ground instead of into the disc? How do you know if you're doing this?
One of those cases of shifting your weight because you're told you're supposed to and therefore not recognizing when you're doing it wrong and not getting anything out of it?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2018, 12:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 205
Niced 1,238 Times in 837 Posts

I don't know how Will defines weight, but it is different than mine. Alex still has most of weight on the back foot as a scale would read under the rear foot when he plants the front foot. IMO he needs to accelerate his weight forward off the rear foot quicker before he plants the front foot, so all his weight shifts more sudden(more weight force on front foot scale) into the heel plant/crush the can, then swing.

Alex would be accelerating the disc forward too early in the Door Frame Drill. Turing open before the plant and hugging himself instead of being pulled further back and wider. All your weight should be leaving the rear foot before you start swinging forward accelerating the disc from the Door Frame. Your weight should lead everything. Alex's rear foot is also turned back slightly too much and front foot/leg plants open into horsestance.

You will know if you are on the right path with your lower body/weight shift when your throw starts feeling effortless.

Niced: (1)
Old 07-09-2018, 12:20 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 221 Times in 78 Posts

I think I understood what Will was trying to say, but I would say it very differently and unfortunately for everybody, saying this stuff doesn't do a very good job of translating how to fix the issues.

I like drills so much more than doing a video review like this, because we can isolate the exact thing that we need to work on. This dude would benefit so much from a one leg drill and/or perpetual motion drill.

Also SW, wanted to say that the Kick the Can idea is great!

Niced: (2)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 40 Times in 35 Posts

I watched Will's "example" video about his form critiques. And I saw something in his throw that I've seen talked about here many times. It appears to me that Will is pushing off of his rear heel and extending his rear knee, instead of pushing off of the toes/instep and maintaining knee flex? God forbid I cast stones based on my own form, but I'm mainly asking for my own knowledge of what is proper/improper and what to strive for/look for in good form.

See this video here at :33s rear leg

Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 205
Niced 1,238 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack504 View Post
I watched Will's "example" video about his form critiques. And I saw something in his throw that I've seen talked about here many times. It appears to me that Will is pushing off of his rear heel and extending his rear knee, instead of pushing off of the toes/instep and maintaining knee flex? God forbid I cast stones based on my own form, but I'm mainly asking for my own knowledge of what is proper/improper and what to strive for/look for in good form.
That is a bad habit he developed in recent years assuming from his shoulder injury or has coincided. He didn't used to do that before:

This is best form:

Niced: (1)