Old 10-27-2020, 01:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 37.5
Courses Played: 250
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,645 Times in 1,611 Posts

Good discussion, guys. Around here, the type of park makes a huge difference. We have county, regional, state, city, municipal parks. Each have different levels of involvement in their courses. These run the gambit from city parks with little budget to take care of any part of their park system to pay to play regional and county parks that are actively expanding their courses. The poor city course are completely club of person dependent. The county/regional parks have a disc golf guy on grounds crew that oversees much more than grass cutting.

I think open and honest discussions with the park owners, as to their intended involvement is crucial. I often see course put in the ground that will never be maintained well. I see this as our fault, the result of poor decisions.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 10-27-2020, 08:30 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1,213 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Good discussion, guys. Around here, the type of park makes a huge difference. We have county, regional, state, city, municipal parks. Each have different levels of involvement in their courses. These run the gambit from city parks with little budget to take care of any part of their park system to pay to play regional and county parks that are actively expanding their courses. The poor city course are completely club of person dependent. The county/regional parks have a disc golf guy on grounds crew that oversees much more than grass cutting.

I think open and honest discussions with the park owners, as to their intended involvement is crucial. I often see course put in the ground that will never be maintained well. I see this as our fault, the result of poor decisions.
Yeah my state South Dakota has just City parks and State Rec areas, Rec=Parks, as far as I know. There used to be a federal park near me, Oahe Downstream, but they had no disc golf course or cared at all about the park to the point they somehow in early 2000's hoisted the park onto the State, and then it got a Disc Golf Course, something that has generated money for the park enough they let the local club in 2008 get the back 18 and in 2015 get the non earth concrete tee pads they have now.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:10 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

I agree each entity is an entirely different challenge.

I have installed in two different states (a few different state parks), federal park (ACoE), a county park, and a university.

I'm proud to say, I only solicited installation on one course. I was approached to design/install on all others. Also passed on some.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:38 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 41 Times in 28 Posts

Anyways, I still don't think parks own the courses like they do other recreational offerings. I think helping parks towards that goal could be a next step for our sport.

Isn't respect all disc golf has wanted?

Old 10-28-2020, 08:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.7
Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,609 Times in 991 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billipo View Post
Anyways, I still don't think parks own the courses like they do other recreational offerings. I think helping parks towards that goal could be a next step for our sport.

Isn't respect all disc golf has wanted?
Most of the courses in my area (SW Ohio/Northern Ky) are well taken care of by the parks.

Niced: (1)