Old 07-17-2014, 09:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 83
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

sometimes i'll pull aside the person throwing nukes/destroyers and have them throw their putters from the tee as far as they can. Then their distance drivers. When we walk out to pick up their discs and see the putters are within 10 feet of the drivers, their eyes go wide and they start experimenting with slower discs.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskatt21 View Post
So our work has installed a 5 hole course on our property that if you wanted can be played for 9. usually we just play 4 rounds of 5 during our lunch. The baskets are cheap (frisbee brand?) but the layout is decent and for not having to leave work, I am satisfied.

One thing that has upset me is some of these guys that are playing that are so called tournament players are telling people what discs to get. So now I am seeing a bunch of new players bust our Nukes and Destroyers, and one guy in my department has already bought 10 discs, all different molds.

I was this guy when I started so after starting out that way, getting frustrated with my inconsistencies playing and not understanding why I could throw all my discs like the descriptions said, I scaled back my bag and got comfortable with a few molds, such as the Wraith, Road Runner, Tee Bird, Buzzz, and Wizard. This helped me get more comfortable with my throwing style and then I have added a few here and there to round out my bag after a few years.

Why do some guys insist on telling new players to go big or go home?
So
Some of the,top pros started out throwing OS discs. There's nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
^This works for me.

Let them play and throw the way they want to. If you want them to throw discs you think they should throw then keep beating them at the game.
I agree, and have and will do this!
Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_Rock25 View Post
You work at 3M?
No, up in St. Cloud. They put it in to generate interest and so far it has been good. So on the one hand you have to be happy with whatever they put in, on the other hand I see wasted money trying to see if there is interest. Baskets have been in for about ten months and since they are cheap ones they are rusting and falling apart, and tee pads went from nothing to small boxes that they will fill with asphalt, to hopefully expanding and making bigger in the future.

To me this is wasted money and if things fall apart it will be that much harder to get our employer to put more money into it. Just my opinion.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Silly question - but are they being told to get the nukes/destroyers or are they watching someone throw them 350 and deciding that disc would let them throw that far as well?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
So
Some of the,top pros started out throwing OS discs. There's nothing wrong with it.
never said there was anything wrong with it, it was an observation is all. some guys want to be the guy, others want to look like the guy. I was one of them, so as I have played I try to help others get into and enjoy it as to not get frustrated with a great sport. I share my stories of showing up with a bag full of discs strapped to my back and getting my ass beat by a guy with 3 discs he carried in a grocery bag...humbled to say the least.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeetyo View Post
Silly question - but are they being told to get the nukes/destroyers or are they watching someone throw them 350 and deciding that disc would let them throw that far as well?
You know it is a little of both. The guys that are throwing them, are not getting them out 350, they are having trouble tossing them themselves. But when they do a decent toss here and there, then they ask about the disc, or the guy suggests it. The guys that say they are tournament players and are under par during the tournys, are barely at par at our course. So to me it is misinformation and then this leads to frustration. There is one guy in our group that has taken some tips, not that I am an expert by any means, but I told him my trial and error, and he literally tosses two discs and easily is the most consistent one out there each day. He has only been playing since this course was put in but even he laughs at all the people buying these big discs and tossing like crap or into the pond lol.

I have yet to toss it at full strength as the course is shorter that what I typically play, and with that said I am able to get 2's on each hole on a consistent basis.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:29 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 340 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
Almost every new player I have seen goes through the "buy them all" phase early on. Its fine and if they stick with it, they will eventually settle down on what works for them.

I'm so glad I started playing in an era where you didn't have a lot of options and could get by with a Cyclone and a putter.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:42 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

I see it all the time with new players who get excited about DG. Not only do they buy a dozen discs within weeks but instantly go for Destroters and Boss' since they are "super long distance" drivers not realizing they could probably throw a leopard further. There's a million different molds out there and you don't know what you're missing until you try them is the mindset, which I understand to a degree. Once they figure out what they like, you can score their rejects for cheap

Old 07-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman365 View Post
Once they figure out what they like, you can score their rejects for cheap
Love that!