Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooow View Post
I have been playing the local course for 20 years. One day at work a friend dropped by and said that he heard I play disc golf and that he just got into it about 2 months ago. A guy in his group plays and has been taking about 4 guys over to the local course and "teaching" them the game. My friend asked if I wanted to join them and I said "Sure". I went over and met some of the new players and of course they were horrible (100-foot meathooks on every throw). One guy threw everything forehand because he "got more distance" that way. I decided to be a guy and only offer advice if asked but of course they could see that I threw much longer and straighter. Then "the guy" showed up and seemed pretty annoyed that I had been invited. He threw about 150 foot meathooks on most throws and also threw far too many forehands. What really annoyed him was that the newbies started asking me for help - obviously I had stepped on his territory.
I gently suggested that they learn to throw backhands and that they should eschew playing the course for a day and just practice (the course has two practice baskets about 125 feet apart which is perfect for beginner practice). "The guy" said that they just like to play. We played the first 18 and of course played from the short tees so I birdied the first 6 holes. Nobody else was close to par (to be expected). Finally on hole 16 or so, "the guy" threw a forehand and it ended up near the basket and he hit metal on his putt attempt and then basically said "See. You don't need to learn a backhand. I almost birdied the hole." So one drive out of 18 is apparently enough to satisfy him.
Of course these guys had a small number of discs but each had at least one disc which was definitely too fast for me (e.g. Groove, Katana, Ape) - I just recently have gotten a Mamba to work for me. I suggested discing down but that was also rejected because "they needed as much distance off the tee as possible" even though that distance was taking them away from the fairway.
I was not invited many more times and my friend started going over with me on other days and I gave him some slower discs (Gazelle, Leopard) and what do you think? His game vastly improved to the point was he shooting 6 over from the shorts on the front 18. He was still playing with the other guys but now he also was not always getting the invites. Pathetic.
I bought a Groove once. Later I traded it for a Crystal Buzzzzz.
Man sounds like you have been playing at the same place I work lol!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 16
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Butlertron View Post
New guys are the worst, but it is rewarding if you get the right pupil. I can always gauge genuine interest when I tell newbs that we're going to an open field instead of the course for a proper introduction. My last Danielsan didn't want to put in the practice time and it really showed when we played our local short & tight course. This guy acted like he knew everything, so I backed off and told him to prove me wrong. He became a lot more receptive when he realized that my wife (my favorite pupil, but not overly talented) was wiping the floor with him. Sometimes humiliation is best learning tool.
Love Love Love this! Great example!
Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 397 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooow View Post
and also threw far too many forehands.

As a FH dominant player for over 20 years, this statement does not compute.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

How can you not have fun playing at work. That is great. You are so lucky
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new guy and I'm fine owning a bunch of discs that don't suit my abilities. Someone mentioned getting angry at the game which is very true of me at the moment. I've backed off my collection and starting throwing my Roc and Judge mostly and my scores have improved.

Still... I'm not unhappy that I have a bunch of discs. The point being, don't assume that new guys are wasting time with the wrong discs. I personally wouldn't have learned the lesson of using less disc if I hadn't tried everything in the bag. So in that way, I don't consider the time wasted.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:57 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 39
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
As a FH dominant player for over 20 years, this statement does not compute.
When you drive a disc forehand, you're moving your body in a way it wasn't designed to move. The potential for elbow/ wrist injury is far greater than with a backhand.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 13
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseleereed View Post
When you drive a disc forehand, you're moving your body in a way it wasn't designed to move. The potential for elbow/ wrist injury is far greater than with a backhand.
Not sure this is the case. By the way, I have hurt my back throwing backhand many times
Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Tell this to Big Jerm.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 25
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Like with most everything: Having bad form is what leads to injury and failure.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 28.3
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 397 Times in 159 Posts

Quote:

Hmmmmm, after hundreds of thousands of throws I'm still doing fine. I guess it helps to know what you are doing. When thrown properly, there is generally less impact on the body.