Old 09-09-2019, 04:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
I agree. the events should be well run. And it sounds like this one was. Tee times were fairly accurate, the courses had officials and well marked (I assume because no one has complained about that). But the definition of a "good course" is extremely subjective. Everyone knew what courses they were playing before they got there. Was the course safe? Was it more than a pitch and putt? IMO, that is all you can really ask for in that division. The courses had pars of 58, 58, 56, 59. Doesn't seem too bad for a field of men over 40.
The courses were well marked. The only confusion I'm aware of was that some markings remained from the MVP Open that were not in play for the Selinske...one example is the rock wall on hole 3 at Maple...OB at MVP, not OB this weekend, but the rope still remained.

As for whether the courses were "good"...
I thought that 501 longs was a solid blue level course (didn't play shorts but assume while level) and just a marvelous property. Newton Hill is a white level city park course. Maple Hill is what it is. Whites were obviously white level, Blues were blue and the Golds were gold. Understandably, the elite players (1000+ rated) were unsatisfied with both white level courses they had to play, but the reality is that shorter courses like that were necessary to accommodate two rounds in a day not to mention the white level divisions that existed on both the pro and am sides (no way should the 60/65/70 divisions be playing blues or golds). I thought they provided a good mix of everything for all players.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 09-09-2019, 05:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,432 Times in 1,502 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Doesn't seem too bad for a field of men over 40.
How old are you, kid?

Old 09-09-2019, 05:25 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 1,880 Times in 448 Posts

I am the young ripe age of 41.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 30 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
Elaine King won by 21 strokes. Where are the outraged folks complaining that it wasn't fair for her competitors?
Because she is 100% a woman

Old 09-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 269
Niced 71 Times in 52 Posts

This was my fourth US Masters and by far the most fun for me! The courses were great and I really liked Newton Hill for a weak player like myself. 501 was phenomenal and Maple Hill was also fantastic but I do wish we could have played Pyramids in addition to the others. Wormtown is a good brewery with great staff as well as Bucks and we saw a Santana cover band at Rock Bar. Livia’s was a great restaurant for breakfast and Mezcal’s was fantastic for Mexican. I understand the frustration for the following reasons but it did not affect my play because I came prepared with water, had great cards and got to see a lot of old friends and meet new ones.

Room for improvement,
- no formal player’s meeting for the first time ever for me (e.g., I witnessed some confusion from the Pros that played the week before on #3 Maple Hill golds which could have been addressed prior to the event).
- no caddy book.
- Four (4) hour lunch break Saturday for Ams to get to 501 from Maple Hill which made for a long day from 8am - 6:30pm for 6 hours of golf (I made the best of it and watched college football at a restaurant near 501).
- no spotters at Maple Hill for Ams specifically on #11 and #17 long pad over the Christmas trees (possibly due to the work from volunteers the week before which is understandable).
- no Porta Johns at Newton Hill by #1. You had to drive to #7 for a bathroom which several did prior to the rounds at Newton Hill but rumors are others had two deuces on #18 during their round (I assume this was on the PDGA because the TD at Newton Hill was awesome about going over rules, bathroom location, etc, prior to the round).
- the only water at Newton Hill was on #1 and I heard several others ran out of water during the round (I assume this was on the PDGA because the TD at Newton Hill was awesome about going over rules, bathroom location, etc, prior to the round).

Niced: (3)
Old 09-09-2019, 06:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 67
Niced 1,572 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol6566 View Post
Because she is 100% a woman

Old 09-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 269
Niced 71 Times in 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Fair.

But the statement of "golf has 4 and we have 20" isn't very fair to compare.
Traditional golf has numerous tours all over North America and the world with tour championships and majors for each tour (I know what the Open is also) and age protected tours, mini tours, etc. Golf seems more like professional baseball with rookies, A, AAA, MLB, Central American Leagues, etc.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.9
Courses Played: 150
Niced 3,723 Times in 1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
- no spotters at Maple Hill for Ams specifically on #11 and #17 long pad over the Christmas trees (possibly due to the work from volunteers the week before which is understandable).
For what it's worth, there were no spotters on those holes for the pros either. There was someone on 11 when my group went through on Sunday, but he was the same guy who was on hole 1 so clearly he wasn't there except for the last few groups of MP40s.

I do think you're right that there was probably some volunteer fatigue following the MVP Open. I'm pretty sure more than a handful of folks who you'd find on the volunteer/spotting staff at the MVP were playing this weekend instead (and no, you can't blame them). Local folks didn't help matters by scheduling tournaments for the same weekend. There was Nantucket, of course, but also a C-tier less than an hour from 501 on Saturday.

As for Pyramids not being included, I agree, I wish we'd gotten to play it. It was in the original plans as I understand it, but when the owner backed out, 501 was added in its place. So silver linings and all that.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 51
Niced 1,593 Times in 294 Posts

Quote:

Funny thing is that more and more players are aging into the Master's fields, but the numbers STILL say that few people want to actually watch them play.
Few people want to film them either lol. My entire crew retired from Masters coverage after Masters Worlds.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,565 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhghnss View Post
Few people want to film them either lol. My entire crew retired from Masters coverage after Masters Worlds.
Ok, you can't just throw a statement like that out there and then not give us a reason why.