Old 06-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 4
Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Who cares if David Schreff plays disc golf!

David is a mogel within the sports and digital entertainment world. He instantly legitimizes the BOD and provides an immediate exponential boost to the upward trajectory forced upon the game by COVID.

Ya'll been waiting for your disc golf angels. First Rainwater. Now Schreff.

Vote him in before he changes his mind.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 06-06-2021, 06:50 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

*Mogul
Old 06-07-2021, 07:48 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 564 Times in 297 Posts

From the comments section:

Quote:
Submitted by PDGADavidSchreff on Jun 4, 2021 at 4:06pm

Please note one correction that didn’t yet appear when I submitted my career summary, namely, that I served as Chairman of the Board of USA Volleyball, the governing body of the US Olympics and Paralympics Committee.
Further, through my work as President, Global Marketing and Media for the National Basketball Association (NBA), I sold/managed the corporate sponsorship and media deals through our exclusive rights representation of the USA Basketball Olympic Dream Teams for the 1992 (Barcelona) and 1996 (Atlanta) Olympics. Thank you for your support of my candidacy.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 282
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 99 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
The last candidate is an odd one. Clearly a very impressive resume in the sports and entertainment world. Yet he’s a very new PDGA member, and has yet to play in or even register for a single tournament. How much does he even know about disc golf, the PDGA, etc.?

To me there’s one very obvious strong candidate, and I’m undecided on who to vote for in the other two slots.
Since 2016, a few opportunities to grow the sport have been derailed due to ego it seems. If the PDGA membership misses this opportunity to elect someone with his credentials, the sport will continue without major sponsorships compared to professional cornhole and other fringe sports. The candidate’s resume reflects he has contacts with decision makers at public companies instead of the traditional local contacts at the restuarant down the street from the local course or the local landscape company. Since I have been a member, the only large corporate sponsorships I remember were Woodchuck Cider and Microtel. Please give this guy a chance for a couple of years. He does not come across as a person looking to fleece the local club.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:41 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 83
Niced 169 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Since 2016, a few opportunities to grow the sport have been derailed due to ego it seems. If the PDGA membership misses this opportunity to elect someone with his credentials, the sport will continue without major sponsorships compared to professional cornhole and other fringe sports. The candidate’s resume reflects he has contacts with decision makers at public companies instead of the traditional local contacts at the restuarant down the street from the local course or the local landscape company. Since I have been a member, the only large corporate sponsorships I remember were Woodchuck Cider and Microtel. Please give this guy a chance for a couple of years. He does not come across as a person looking to fleece the local club.
What profit incentives does he have? Is he trying to create any dg businesses? Do his current business intend to move into disc golf?

Old 06-07-2021, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,709 Times in 2,298 Posts

This discussion seems focused on the smallest percentage of the PDGA membership. I personally think, dreams of moving the sport past its fringe status is foolish. Set that aside though.

I want my PDGA focused on providing increased support to the AM side of the game, grow the volunteer base, bring new players to the sport and promote the healthy family angle of the game. I want my PDGA to support a large effort to get new courses in the ground. Not gold level championship courses, that will challenge the top 75 players in the world, but park courses, neighborhood nine holers.... I want my PDGA to continue to assist clubs, TD's and players learn and love the game. Really, I don't see a 7-11 or Piggly Wiggly sponsorship doing much for me or any part of the game that I care about.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:37 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 199
Niced 346 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
Who cares if David Schreff plays disc golf!

David is a mogul within the sports and digital entertainment world. He instantly legitimizes the BOD and provides an immediate exponential boost to the upward trajectory forced upon the game by COVID.

Ya'll been waiting for your disc golf angels. First Rainwater. Now Schreff.

Vote him in before he changes his mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
Going back to what I asked on the very first page - major sponsorships and media coverage would be awesome for the DGPT. I'd love to have this guy on the DGPT board. But how would those help the PDGA from a board seat position? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know.

Let's take one concern of PDGA at the moment, which is am tournaments filling up instantly and leaving out a lot of disgruntled players. How does this guy help with that? What proposals does he have for helping local clubs run more tournaments to accommodate more players? Does he know anything at all about how tournaments are set up and run? That's just one example. Of course other folks on the board can step in with more experience there, but...so would other board candidates.

Someone mentioned that he used to be on the board of USA Volleyball, and oversaw some grassroots efforts there. Where are the details on that? That is by far the most relevant experience for a PDGA board seat. And it should've been important to include in his personal statement, which is all the information we're provided to inform our votes on.

Niced: (3)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:10 PM
Bogey Member

Niced 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
Going back to what I asked on the very first page - major sponsorships and media coverage would be awesome for the DGPT. I'd love to have this guy on the DGPT board. But how would those help the PDGA from a board seat position? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know.

Let's take one concern of PDGA at the moment, which is am tournaments filling up instantly and leaving out a lot of disgruntled players. How does this guy help with that? What proposals does he have for helping local clubs run more tournaments to accommodate more players? Does he know anything at all about how tournaments are set up and run? That's just one example. Of course other folks on the board can step in with more experience there, but...so would other board candidates.

Someone mentioned that he used to be on the board of USA Volleyball, and oversaw some grassroots efforts there. Where are the details on that? That is by far the most relevant experience for a PDGA board seat. And it should've been important to include in his personal statement, which is all the information we're provided to inform our votes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
This discussion seems focused on the smallest percentage of the PDGA membership. I personally think, dreams of moving the sport past its fringe status is foolish. Set that aside though.

I want my PDGA focused on providing increased support to the AM side of the game, grow the volunteer base, bring new players to the sport and promote the healthy family angle of the game. I want my PDGA to support a large effort to get new courses in the ground. Not gold level championship courses, that will challenge the top 75 players in the world, but park courses, neighborhood nine holers.... I want my PDGA to continue to assist clubs, TD's and players learn and love the game. Really, I don't see a 7-11 or Piggly Wiggly sponsorship doing much for me or any part of the game that I care about.

Two words: Top down.

Yes, Grassroot is great. Bottom up is great.

However, David's greatest asset is his level of global networking. This alone is worth its weight in game development and financial support gold, for all players, across all levels.

Last edited by odysseus; 06-07-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 38.2
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,709 Times in 2,298 Posts

Quote:

However, David's greatest asset is his level of global networking. This alone is worth its weight in game development and financial support gold, for all players, across all levels.
I could not disagree more.

Niced: (3)

Old 06-07-2021, 03:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 199
Niced 346 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:

Again - let him join the DGPT board then. I think that'd be an awesome fit. Have him help the pros and tour reach broader audiences and get more mainstream support, and grow the sport that way.

But I don't get how he helps the PDGA board. That's not what they do. Maybe his experiences with USA Volleyball could provide some insight, but he declined to offer any details on that.