Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 PM

Courses Played: 1
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Still trying to understand disc flight ratings

Why the same flight ratings for discs that don't fly the same? I am talking about say the difference of say a DX Leopard and a Champion Leopard or like a DX Wraith and a Champion Wraith. Also at what point in a discs lifespan does it resemble those #s. I understand the variablities, I just don't understand why if we know these 2 discs won't fly the same do we rate them the same.

I love my Champion Leopard. I get almost as much distance out of it as anything I throw. But I hate my DX Leopard, can't throw it light enough to keep it from turning and burning. Both discs have almost no wear. Same with my Wraiths except I can get more distance out of my DX wraith thrown on a Hyzer flip than anything I own. I can sometimes get my Champion Wraith to speed but not consistently. I can Hyzerflip a speed 12 DX Wraith but not a speed 6 Champion Leopard.

I understand that the difference in the plastic effects this but again, why the same #s.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 06:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 397 Times in 225 Posts

Might want to repost under the General Disc Chat or Discs forums instead of here. Here is a previous discussion along the lines of the flight ratings - https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...light%2Anumber. Do a quick search for "flight ratings" or "flight numbers" for more info.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 150 Times in 90 Posts

JinJ,

Three points to consider:
1. "Flight numbers" are imprecise at best (and probably not about to get better any time soon).
2. There are only 14 or 15 'speed' numbers the manufacturer can choose from, 5 or 6 'glide' numbers, 4 or 5 HSS numbers, and 4 or 5 LSS numbers. And some of those combinations don't exist in the real world (i.e. a 12, 1, 3, -3, etc.). So there's REALLY only - maybe - a hundred viable ones?! Add to that that different discs fly differently at different speeds, angles, etc., and you should be able to see there are "just a few possibilities involved here" (read: there are NEVER 2 discs that fly EXACTLY the same).
3. If you don't believe / realize the numbers in 2. above are correct, refer back to 1.