Old 01-30-2020, 03:40 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 23
Niced 104 Times in 51 Posts
Unhappy Shoulder Pain While Putting

I am curious to hear some thoughts on a low impact putting style.

I am a push putter. A few months ago I started noticing shoulder pain when putting. I'm not sure if poor putting form caused this situation or if it happened off the course. It only manifests when putting inside the circle. It happens right at the hit/moment of release when the arm is high and has gotten worse over time. I can drive and approach all day with absolutely no pain, but even a 12' putt hurts. Now my putting has really suffered and my shoulder is getting worse. My doctor is not concerned about a serious injury at this time, but I need to stop stressing it.

Is there a putting style that would be considered lower impact? Is spin putting less likely to strain the shoulder? I was watching this video and thought it looked very low impact, but maybe that is simply due to his good form:

I am also considering using 150g putters for a while. I'm also going from 8-10 rounds per week to 1-2. Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 04:33 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 27.7
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 17 Times in 16 Posts

Maybe putt opposite handed for awhile. Its probably good brain training and will give your good arm a break.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Par Member

That's a good thought. I probably wouldn't be that much worse off than learning a whole new style and it's less risky for sure. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 04:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,231 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
I am curious to hear some thoughts on a low impact putting style.

I am a push putter. A few months ago I started noticing shoulder pain when putting. I'm not sure if poor putting form caused this situation or if it happened off the course. It only manifests when putting inside the circle. It happens right at the hit/moment of release when the arm is high and has gotten worse over time. I can drive and approach all day with absolutely no pain, but even a 12' putt hurts. Now my putting has really suffered and my shoulder is getting worse. My doctor is not concerned about a serious injury at this time, but I need to stop stressing it.

Is there a putting style that would be considered lower impact? Is spin putting less likely to strain the shoulder? I was watching this video and thought it looked very low impact, but maybe that is simply due to his good form:

I am also considering using 150g putters for a while. I'm also going from 8-10 rounds per week to 1-2. Any thoughts or experiences are much appreciated!
It'll be less on your shoulder if you have a low amount of up and down travel in the motion like Dave, or see MJ (disc travels from above naval to lower sternum) or Simon Lizotte (belt buckle to lower sternum). But a hybrid putt like McBeth's (balls to forehead) still uses plenty of shoulder motion (just with less force, since the elbow is sharing some of the load).

Do you putt everyday for an hour or two at a time? I couldn't imagine this is a repetive injury if not. I injured my tendon from preacher curls, and can't spin putt for the next couple months, so I'm considering switching to the push for the time being, to see if I could pick up on it. Right now, I can't putt from 12 feet either without forearm pain, but the shovel/push putt feels fine. Don't think I'll permanently switch since the shoulder is a more vulnerable joint.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 PM
Par Member

No, I only putt for a maximum of 15 minutes per day. I agree, I don't think it's a repetitive injury due to putting. I haul 20-50lb bags for a living, pretty sure I injured it that way. It just pops up with that motion. I figure any motion that is more wrist dependent might be easier. Like you say, keeping the disc below the sternum will help.

Wanna trade putting styles for a while?