Old 02-12-2020, 02:07 PM

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

I wasn't there for league this day but this past summer in Columbia, MO someone hit a Cali ace on his second tee-shot and was denied the ace pot. Presumably this rule had been in place, but I've never heard it discussed ahead of time and it certainly isn't written down anywhere. Resulted in a ton of Facebook comments afterwards of people arguing about it though.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 148
Niced 46 Times in 18 Posts

I see both sides. In my experience most people don't benefit from being Cali and consider drawing Cali as a disadvantage for them. So the added benefit of 2 shots for ace pool or ctp is nice. All the leagues in my area allow Cali aces.

I'm more interested to know how many leagues mandate splitting their ace pots with there partner who didn't get an ace?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,036 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdizzlefizzle View Post
I see both sides. In my experience most people don't benefit from being Cali and consider drawing Cali as a disadvantage for them. So the added benefit of 2 shots for ace pool or ctp is nice. All the leagues in my area allow Cali aces.

I'm more interested to know how many leagues mandate splitting their ace pots with there partner who didn't get an ace?
It's in the wording of local doubles event info that aces are split. The person running it automatically gives each partner half so it isn't an issue.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:05 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
It's in the wording of local doubles event info that aces are split. The person running it automatically gives each partner half so it isn't an issue.
In the wording of your local doubles? Or is there some unified doctrine that dictates how we pay aces?
Old 02-13-2020, 01:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.9
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,036 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
In the wording of your local doubles? Or is there some unified doctrine that dictates how we pay aces?
On the Facebook posting of local event info, the wording says all aces pay half to partner. What are you asking? Are you trying to insinuate that I'm speaking for all doubles around the world? Nobody else's scene is of concern to me. You do you.

What's your deal, friend?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 109
Niced 226 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would mulligan get two CTP throws when everyone else only gets one? Is it customary to split CTP's with your partner? If not, you're screwing everyone else who only gets one throw. I'm seriously confused how that works.
It's a balance of pros and cons to try and be relatively fair. Some pros; Extra Ace shot or CTP throw, Not splitting any winnings with a partner, being able to adjust right away to a missed shot and try again. Some cons; Only getting 1 extra shot per hole instead of 2 shots (by different players) on every hole, Not being able to rely on a partner, ect… Overall you give some benefits to the player that is cali to make up for being cali. I think we can agree in general being cali vs doubles team is a disadvantage score wise. So think of the fairness in a little bigger terms. Yes when looking at fairness smaller scale the CTP competition is unfair standing alone. Look at the fairness at the league level and it makes more sense to allow odd # of players by giving benefits to the odd player for not having a partner.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:22 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:

What's your deal, friend?
Heterosexual male. I'm not interested

Niced: (1)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 131
Niced 811 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
That is not something our league has ever entertained. You pay your entry in the Ace pool you are free to do what you like with the winning should you hit the ace. I have had partners who discuss it before hand, like hey lets run some aces tonight and split it if one of us hits. That usually happens more when the ace pot grows during the winter and is pretty nice when spring rolls around.

Niced: (1)

Old 02-13-2020, 07:07 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_Primitive View Post
That is not something our league has ever entertained. You pay your entry in the Ace pool you are free to do what you like with the winning should you hit the ace.
I agree. Around here it's different though. I've had many conversations with locals trying to understand the reasoning/origin behind it and my consensus is it's a nice thing to do for your partner.