Old 02-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 45.9
Courses Played: 373
Niced 1,817 Times in 897 Posts
Default "Academy-like" Awards for 2019 Tournaments

I thought it might be fun to make up categories and announce winners.

The award for Best Performance by a Course in Sorting Players by Skill during an Amateur Tournament goes to Quaker's Challenge at Pinchot State Park in the QC-L/8,222 feet configuration, during the 2019 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships- Powered by Prodigy.

The award for Best Performance by a Course in Sorting Players by Skill during an Open Tournament goes to Winthrop University in the Arena Gold B layout during the 2019 United States Disc Golf Championship.

(For explanation, see here.)

Well, I doubt anyone can come up with any categories more fun that that!
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 138
Niced 131 Times in 56 Posts

The 3rd highest-rated round of my career was at Quaker's Challenge at Am Worlds! Subjectively, it "felt" like the best tournament round I've ever played, well ahead of other rounds I have that are rated similarly. If only it was an accurate reflection of my true skill.

Interesting to me that Muddy Run, currently DGCR's highest-rated course in PA, rates as the lowest-powered course that MA1 played in that tournament. I did notice that it didn't cause much scoring separation. There was certainly one guy on my card who was too high/drunk/wasted/tripped-out/something to keep track of his own scores on each hole ("Did I get a 2 or a 4 on that hole we just played? I can't remember..."), but he surprisingly managed to put up a respectable score on that course. I guess that's what happens when the rough isn't too punishing, and there's no OB.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.9
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,288 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aredoubles View Post
The 3rd highest-rated round of my career was at Quaker's Challenge at Am Worlds! Subjectively, it "felt" like the best tournament round I've ever played, well ahead of other rounds I have that are rated similarly. If only it was an accurate reflection of my true skill.

Interesting to me that Muddy Run, currently DGCR's highest-rated course in PA, rates as the lowest-powered course that MA1 played in that tournament. I did notice that it didn't cause much scoring separation. There was certainly one guy on my card who was too high/drunk/wasted/tripped-out/something to keep track of his own scores on each hole ("Did I get a 2 or a 4 on that hole we just played? I can't remember..."), but he surprisingly managed to put up a respectable score on that course. I guess that's what happens when the rough isn't too punishing, and there's no OB.
Lol....Quakers crushed me. I could not stay off trees down the fairway. Nice drive, down the middle, hit my line....BAM, a richocet into thick shule. It was a brutal beat down. I was really down on the course after. Now, with a little reflection and some salty fade-away, I think it was a challenging quality course. Not surprised by the scoring separation.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 253 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Lol....Quakers crushed me. I could not stay off trees down the fairway. Nice drive, down the middle, hit my line....BAM, a richocet into thick shule. It was a brutal beat down. I was really down on the course after. Now, with a little reflection and some salty fade-away, I think it was a challenging quality course. Not surprised by the scoring separation.
It crushed me too. I guess playing Muddy in the afternoon and Quaker the next morning wasn't the best formula for my creaky knees. Once I walked up the hill on hole #1 it took me 5 holes to recover. On Hole #3 the long par 5 I hit 7 straight trees without once going into the rough. I think it some type of record.

Luckily I had great card mates and it was an enjoyable round.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 57
Niced 35 Times in 22 Posts

Quake was by far the highlight of Am Worlds for me. Played it even over 2 rounds (-2,+2) and was absolutely the reasoning for my finish since i played blah everywhere else. Plus I got my first ever tournament eagle there (Hole 16) during the semi's!

Niced: (2)
Old 02-11-2020, 02:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 140 Times in 35 Posts

The award for best reaction to a missed putt goes to Eagle for his backwards somersault into elbow smash to the ground. He set the standard right there.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17
Courses Played: 105
Niced 645 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
The award for best reaction to a missed putt goes to Eagle for his backwards somersault into elbow smash to the ground. He set the standard right there.
Not only did he SET the standard, he BROKE it shortly thereafter.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.9
Courses Played: 413
Niced 398 Times in 201 Posts

The award for best drama would go to Adam Hammes and that camera guy.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.8
Courses Played: 146
Niced 469 Times in 200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscgolfStu View Post
I don't know, the James Conrad "unbridled rage" kick to the tree stump after a missed putt was pretty fantastic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co..._chaining_out/

Old 02-12-2020, 02:41 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 27
Niced 140 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentCrook View Post
I don't know, the James Conrad "unbridled rage" kick to the tree stump after a missed putt was pretty fantastic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/discgolf/co..._chaining_out/
That is pretty terrific.