#1  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,046
Niced 1,292 Times in 640 Posts
Default VictorB new setup

So I guess I'll do this the right way with the last update of the season! First overhaul in quite some time. Gaining consistency again with drives and putting.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 6+ years, no prior frisbee'ing experience
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, supplementary RHFH and RHOH skills
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver:
Challenger: 240/300
Roc: 300/340
PD: 370/400+ (not sure how far yet, just added)

Optional:
Age: 30
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: None, if you don't count being short
Other sport proficiencies: Hard to speak on since I haven't played organized sports since college, then it was just intramurals. Basketball, football, ball golf, dodge ball, racquet ball, tennis.
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:
I don't feel like there are any glaring holes in my arsenal - feels right at home with this bag on any course.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Just for information. Right now I need to fix nose angle issues with high speed drivers.
Immediate and long-term goals: More consistency and better putter outside of the circle - both are long term goals that can always use work.


Bag (new condition unless otherwise noted, this is a bit of a restructure)

Drivers:
175 pDD - a distance driver I can actually grip properly.
175 cPD - mini predator. the plus rim on this doesn't bother me, oddly.
175 sPD - these are seriously like a longer champ teebird. (.Y.)
175 sPD - spare for wear cycle.
175 pPD - main control driver. slight flip, consistent fade.
175 pPD - spare for wear cycle.
171 Z Predator - beat, but flat topped. Super overstable.
173 Z Predator - beat, still overstable enough to be a workhorse.
175 sFD - slightly beat, good turnover disc.
175 sFD - newish

Midranges:
175 champ Gator - beefy. niche disc for short sidearms and spikes.
176 KC Pro Roc - slightly overstable, just like a KC Pro Roc should be.
180 glow DX Rancho Roc - newish
175 DX Rancho Roc - worn in
17x DX Rancho Roc - super beat

Putters
175 Cryztal Challenger - hyzer approaches
174 soft X Challenger - main approach putter. some wear, pretty straight off the tee too.
176 Medium Summit - niche disc. sidearm flick putts/approaches.
174 D Challenger - main putter
174 D Challenger - backup putter

I took out teebirds because I actually felt like they were limiting my game a bit. PDs in to compliment the FDs, which were taking a lot of throws from my teebirds anyway. I feel like once my PDs start to get in a wear cycle, that my bag will really be complete.

I need to get more DDs, and learn how to keep the nose down properly on a real distance driver.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
prerube's Avatar
prerube prerube is offline
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Clinton, MD
Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 256
Posts: 11,416
Niced 60 Times in 29 Posts
Default

you know what you are doing, interesting to see the amount of discmania love. DGR influence?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Pwingles's Avatar
Pwingles Pwingles is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bird Town
Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 72
Posts: 3,612
Niced 27 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I like it dude. Pred/pd/fd trifecta is money for me. I have a RR in there for rollers and trick shots as well.

How is the DD so far? Compared to a wraith/destroyer? Im having trouble picking a Distance driver for max D. I like the wraith best, its combo of turn/fade and rim size make it ideal for me, but I find that I can push my PDs almost as far so the overlap prevents me from commiting to it. And Destroyers i like beat up or else i have trouble with them. So im throwing nukes right now mostly because it overlaps the least while fitting my needs but grip is an issue on that huge rim.
Would the DD and force overlap a ton or is it workable on a few lines? Im pretty commited to my forces although ive thrown the pd2 some and its nice although much shorter and much more nose angle sensative.

Pretty pumped for CFDs, a little birdie told me they'll be in production soon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Scared_Discless's Avatar
Scared_Discless Scared_Discless is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Flossmoor, IL
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,305
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Nice setup Victor. The DD is nice fit long distance complimant to the PD. A couple thoughts at first glance:
  1. You might want to consider getting a lighter DD too. I've found extra distance by dropping down to the upper 160's weights especially in downwind and/or favorable crosswind situations
  2. The P DD should beat-in to be a nice turnover driver for long anny throws - similar to the Pro Wraith.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Scared_Discless's Avatar
Scared_Discless Scared_Discless is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Flossmoor, IL
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,305
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
How is the DD so far? Compared to a wraith/destroyer? Im having trouble picking a Distance driver for max D. I like the wraith best, its combo of turn/fade and rim size make it ideal for me, but I find that I can push my PDs almost as far so the overlap prevents me from commiting to it.
The DD is a Wraith rim with a different top and has basically the same flight characteristics. It does have more HSS and doesn't get as flippy in a headwind but the C-line DD can be very overstable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM
ian.'s Avatar
ian. ian. is offline
*Legalize It*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Palmetto State
Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,716
Niced 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

uber solid setup .. dont really see anything you couldnt cover
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 PM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,046
Niced 1,292 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
you know what you are doing, interesting to see the amount of discmania love. DGR influence?
Definitely. I learned more about disc golf from DGR than I did from anyone locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
I like it dude. Pred/pd/fd trifecta is money for me. I have a RR in there for rollers and trick shots as well.

How is the DD so far? Compared to a wraith/destroyer? Im having trouble picking a Distance driver for max D. I like the wraith best, its combo of turn/fade and rim size make it ideal for me, but I find that I can push my PDs almost as far so the overlap prevents me from commiting to it. And Destroyers i like beat up or else i have trouble with them. So im throwing nukes right now mostly because it overlaps the least while fitting my needs but grip is an issue on that huge rim.
Would the DD and force overlap a ton or is it workable on a few lines? Im pretty commited to my forces although ive thrown the pd2 some and its nice although much shorter and much more nose angle sensative.

Pretty pumped for CFDs, a little birdie told me they'll be in production soon
Thanks man. The DD - from the limited throws I have with it so far - feels like a wraith and is somewhat similar in flight. Distance wise it's sort of overlapping with my pPDs, but I know I'm not tapping the full potential of the DD at all. The grip on most warp speed drivers doesn't work well for me since I changed how I hold drivers this year. I've gained a lot of distance with smaller rimmed stuff, but can't get comfortable enough with big rims do get a lot more distance. The DD is kind of a step back into the high speed pool of drivers. I might simply end up throwing PDs for distance though.

I'd say the DD and force wouldn't overlap at all. The DD seems a little more versatile. Comparing the DD and Force wouldn't be too unlike comparing an eagle-x and teebird, IMO.

I'm excited for cFDs, just to see what they are like. Would probably overlap with shots I'd use a new pPD on from what I've gathered so far.

Last edited by VictorB; 08-21-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Dan Ensor's Avatar
Dan Ensor Dan Ensor is offline
Sophomore
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Paris, MO
Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,497
Niced 101 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Just work your way up to the larger rims. I was uncomfortable with anything faster than a Surge a few months ago. Then I got comfortable with a Force. Now I'm comfortable with a Nuke. It won't be long befor I'm comfortable with a Cannon.

I don't understand the decision to take the TBs out of your bag completely. TBs can't do everything, but they can do some things; I would imagine that you're more comfortable with TBs than other discs that do the same things.

I know you're breaking in a Challenger for understable putter duties, but I believe (possibly falsely) that broken in discs never do the same thing as initially less stable discs. Food for thought.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 AM
VictorB's Avatar
VictorB VictorB is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Years Playing: 14.6
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 4,046
Niced 1,292 Times in 640 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Just work your way up to the larger rims. I was uncomfortable with anything faster than a Surge a few months ago. Then I got comfortable with a Force. Now I'm comfortable with a Nuke. It won't be long befor I'm comfortable with a Cannon.

I don't understand the decision to take the TBs out of your bag completely. TBs can't do everything, but they can do some things; I would imagine that you're more comfortable with TBs than other discs that do the same things.

I know you're breaking in a Challenger for understable putter duties, but I believe (possibly falsely) that broken in discs never do the same thing as initially less stable discs. Food for thought.
So far I've been pretty comfortable with the hysteria rim. No grip or releasing issues other than the typical nose up I get from a wider rimmed driver. I'm still working out the kinks on solving this one.

As for the teebirds, it's not that I didn't like what they did - you've seen me throw them after all - it's just that I wanted something that flew fairly similar that didn't overlap with FDs. From all of the advice I've gotten over at dgr I decided to go with the PD. While I'm probably more comfortable with teebirds, I think I can adapt a little bit and use PDs/FDs as my main drivers without problem. Of course, I'm still holding on to my TBs just in case this little experiment doesn't work out!

As for beating a challenger in to flippy - I think you're right, that it may never really get to the stage I want it to be in, at least for a few years. By then, I'll probably decide the Summit is a worthy disc of keeping in the bag. Now that I think about it, I've pretty much always had a complimentary putter in the bag, whether it's nice and overstable when paired with a neutral putter or vice versa.
Reply With Quote
 

  #10  
Old 08-24-2012, 08:51 AM
sloppydisc's Avatar
sloppydisc sloppydisc is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 201
Posts: 5,203
Niced 8 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Have you tinkered with anything in lighter weights, and maybe a little under stable for tailwinds and/or rollers? I know some fear the light weight discs, but in some situations they are pretty fun. Maybe just a lighter FD added to the mix. Even in situations where your lie sucks and you are forced to throw off balance or flat footed the light weight stuff helps. Other than that it looks fine to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How's my setup? unirox13 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 15 06-10-2012 08:20 PM
victorb 2012 bagness VictorB Bag Suggestions & Feedback 16 05-18-2012 08:11 AM
My setup bee_ryce Bag Suggestions & Feedback 21 03-30-2011 04:53 PM
new setup ilmcgee Bag Suggestions & Feedback 21 01-02-2011 07:25 AM
a little help with my setup delta109 Bag Suggestions & Feedback 3 08-08-2010 03:31 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.