Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hello, Quick Question

Hi all, I am happy to have found this site! Firstly, I am just getting back into the game and I have ordered 4 discs: Neutron Tesla (driver), Innova Teebird (forehand), Innova Mako3 (midrange), and Discraft Luna (putter). And now, my girlfriend wants to learn how to play. While I'm not a great teacher, I was wondering if I should buy her the same discs in different colors or if that even really matters that they're all the same?
Thank you all, and I can't wait to get outdoors again!
-Phil
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2021, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 217
Niced 2,168 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGPhilS View Post
Hi all, I am happy to have found this site! Firstly, I am just getting back into the game and I have ordered 4 discs: Neutron Tesla (driver), Innova Teebird (forehand), Innova Mako3 (midrange), and Discraft Luna (putter). And now, my girlfriend wants to learn how to play. While I'm not a great teacher, I was wondering if I should buy her the same discs in different colors or if that even really matters that they're all the same?
-Phil
I suggest starting your girlfriend with neutral putter and midrange, and see how it goes from there. Putters are great when someone is learning to throw flat and straight. When someone is new, slower discs may go as far as a driver and will help them learn good form.

If you get her a driver, something slow and neutral like a Leopard is usually best.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,110 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
-Phil
Welcome to the site and back to the game!

There's so much more information I could ask for, but I'll just give my 2 cents to answer the question. If you are going to buy some more discs, I would actually buy a couple different discs so you and she can both try them out. What "the right disc" is depends a lot on your form and distance potential. But in general, if you're "getting back into the game" there may be more variation throw to throw than there is between discs. In general, it's probably best to stay with discs that are somewhat neutral to understable, and also with discs that are "lower speed," e.g. speed 6-7 at the highest.

Hope that helps. Most of all, enjoy those outdoors and being on the course!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:53 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 84 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armiller View Post
Welcome to the site and back to the game!

There's so much more information I could ask for, but I'll just give my 2 cents to answer the question. If you are going to buy some more discs, I would actually buy a couple different discs so you and she can both try them out. What "the right disc" is depends a lot on your form and distance potential. But in general, if you're "getting back into the game" there may be more variation throw to throw than there is between discs. In general, it's probably best to stay with discs that are somewhat neutral to understable, and also with discs that are "lower speed," e.g. speed 6-7 at the highest.

Hope that helps. Most of all, enjoy those outdoors and being on the course!

Agree on getting her something different. I'm getting my wife a couple discs because she's played with me long ago and I'd like to get her into it again a bit. I'll get her a stable midrange and a stable putter...I'll let her pick them out in colors/stamps she finds appealing so that she feels some ownership of it...but I'll also make sure they are discs I don't have and might like to try myself. That way she can try some of mine, i can try hers, and we'll both have a bit more experience with different molds.

If I had more recent experience and more discs, I'll let her try some of mine to see what she liked first and then find those in designs she finds appealing.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 215
Niced 1,110 Times in 687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore1998 View Post
Agree on getting her something different. I'm getting my wife a couple discs because she's played with me long ago and I'd like to get her into it again a bit. I'll get her a stable midrange and a stable putter...I'll let her pick them out in colors/stamps she finds appealing so that she feels some ownership of it...but I'll also make sure they are discs I don't have and might like to try myself. That way she can try some of mine, i can try hers, and we'll both have a bit more experience with different molds.

If I had more recent experience and more discs, I'll let her try some of mine to see what she liked first and then find those in designs she finds appealing.
Also agreed.

For an idea, my wife's favorite disc quickly became an X Stratus, I think in the 150s. Before that, she really liked a DX Leopard. Unfortunately, the Stratus may not be that easy to find new.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:06 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 554 Times in 337 Posts

DX Leopard for both of you. share your midrange and putter.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 686 Times in 385 Posts

Women are fickle creatures. At least mine is.

While she has a small assortment of discs she has a DX Teebird that she throws for darn near every shot. She putts with an Aviar.

Personally, I think she throws some discs from Latitude 64s easy-to-use lineup quite well (Diamond and the Pearl) but she seldom throws them and just leans on her beloved Teebird for everything.

Maybe just let her pick something that she likes the looks of and just let her do her thing?
Old 02-04-2021, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 169 Times in 93 Posts

Nope, Putter and midrange disc to start. Leave the drivers for later. They will just make things more complicated. Luna is fine, flies straight to slightly under stable, 170-175g should be fine. And the Mako is fine at 165-170g. They are pretty straight as well.

Start with the putter and let her learn to thrown that well and fairly straight, then work in the midrange when throwing down hill to work on a bit of length and control. The reason I mention down hill, I have found beginners get a bit more distance with down hill shots and it helps build confidence. Down hill is where I would introduce the drivers as well.

Once she throws where she intends the discs to go, bring on the drivers, some thing slow with a bit of glide. Sting, Leopard, Archer, Diamond or some thing similar, 160's might be best at this point. The Diamond will come one of 2 ways, 150G or 170G model. Start with the 150g. Very nice driver for beginners. Light weight may be best option unless it turns out she throws with a bit of power. Then go up in weight and look at more stability.

After she works out the slow driver, jump into a driver with a bit more speed. Something a bit flippy, Mamba, Wave, or some Blizzard, Air plastic to get the weight down if needed. MVP does make disc in the 150-160's. The under stable driver will help a bit with distance.

Have fun.

Quote:
-Phil

Niced: (1)
Old 02-05-2021, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 46.1
Courses Played: 206
Niced 933 Times in 390 Posts

My wife still drives with a Stratus and putts with a Birdie. (She says that she likes the deep rim on the Birdie as it makes it easier to throw if you have fingernails.)

Old 02-05-2021, 10:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 596 Times in 332 Posts

I wish I had gotten a Starter Pack to start with. They are designed for the beginner. I started off just buying two used discs (putter and midrange) and, because I didn't know better, ended up with two overstable discs and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't fly straight.

So, I'd suggest getting a Starter Pack, setting aside the driver and seeing how that goes.

But one thing not mentioned, is weight. Has your girlfriend thrown your discs? How did she do? Knowing how she throws your discs might show she should start with the same weight or lighter discs.