Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Toledo to Cincinnati

I'm driving down from Toledo to Cincinnati this weekend and was wondering if anyone on this illustrious forum of wonder could offer any advice on courses in the Dayton/Nati area. I have previously played Mt Airy and Monroe Community Park, and am not looking to venture into Northern Kentucky. I'm seek the diamond in the rough. I have never stopped to play a course in Dayton, is it worth the adventure? I think I am going to play a course in Findlay and Ada, so I am looking for like 2 more courses in the southern part of my trek to complete my weekend.
Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 154
Niced 677 Times in 269 Posts

You probably don't want to hear it, but the extra 20-30 minute drive to Kentucky is very much worth it. Mt. Airy is a great course, but Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge are both better courses.

Passing through Dayton should give you some options since you'll be coming straight down 75 I assume. Belmont Park is rated pretty good.

If you're absolutely dead set against Kentucky, Heritage Park, Gulley Park, and Miami University would be good options on the Ohio side.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would suggest hitting HAHFairborn as it is right off I-675. I will warn you though, 4 pins were stolen (1, 16, 17, 18). They are not set to be replaced until on or around april 12th. It is still worth the stop as I have been told be several who play Idlewild that HAH is what Idlewild was when it first opened.

The course is well marked! I would suggest playing the White Tee's though for the sake of time.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Heck, if you plan on going thru on a weekend, let me know, I will meet you. No better guide than the course manager right?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 3
Niced 44 Times in 25 Posts

Ada is a cool course. Right on the campus. A bit of a drive to get to though.

Findlay.. bring boots... not that great of a course. Might take a while to find no matter what navigation you're using (GPS, phone, written direction, I don't care. Its sometimes hard to find).

Thinking about stopping at BG? I'd love to play a round with you. Its right off the highway. Maybe I could join you at Ottawa, we could go down to BG and I could see you on your way. I'd be totally down for that and could probably get vogie on here to join us.

Also consider stopping off at Piqua. Their course is new, on a community college campus, a great group set it up, easy to find, its only a minute off the highway and a really nice course. I love playing it.

As for being in Dayton you should consider stopping by Hazy Shade (http://www.hazyshade.com/). The guys there are super helpful and some of the coolest DG shop owners I've met. They've given me a bunch of sweet deals, they know all the clubs and courses in the area and might even go play a round with you at the closer course. They have a nice selections of discs, indoor putting course, and are just generally cool. Mind you, I have only been there 3-4 times and I speak of the place like I do...

its also a head shop... if you're into that...

but yeah, I'll hit you up about playing.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

@InnocentCrook- I have heard great things about those two courses and the reason I don't think I'm going to hit Kentucky is because I have to drive to Lexington a little later in the Spring and was going to hit on on the way down and one on the way back up. Have you played Heritage? It was one I was considering.

@hendersondayton- I might shelf HAHFairborn for the next trip if the pins are still missing. I will definitely let you know what I plan on playing in Dayton. I think the plan involves leaving here Friday at around 2:30, hitting Findlay and getting to the Dayton area around 6ish? I think there will still be light? If that doesn't work maybe Sunday on the return?

@cfair- Can I rain check? I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity this summer! Actually Piqua might work better for the way down because it would be closer. Great tip on the throw/head shop too. Good looking out.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 32.2
Courses Played: 718
Niced 3,220 Times in 1,333 Posts

I'll be coming thru toward Toledo in the first week of May from the other direction after the PDGA Summit and Hall oF Fame event. Might have to check out HAH on Thurs or Fri, May 5-6 and maybe another course like Piqua I haven't played along that route.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.1
Courses Played: 154
Niced 677 Times in 269 Posts

Canis, I have not played many of the Ohio courses in the Cincy metro area. My wife and I moved to Nor Cal in January before I got a chance to play very many. That said, we'll be back home for a few weeks in June and I plan on playing catch up so to speak as far as Cincy courses.

IIRC Heritage has the baskets removed in the winter because it's on a flood plain, so you may want to check and make sure they're back in. It's april, so I would assume they should be by now.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me know. I will either play with you or at least want to know how it went.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 35.1
Courses Played: 370
Niced 131 Times in 69 Posts

It's been about 15 years but I really liked Belmont Pk in Dayton and plan on playing it again someday.