Old 05-17-2020, 05:22 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Throwing 300'ish, want to get better

hello, to preface, i do hours of field work a week and film it all, only to see myself doing the same bad habits. I haven't improved more than 25' or so since the end of last season. I know im doing multiple things wrong as i don't usually feel the power of the hit or a good brace. I also know i have problems with nose up and strong arming when i don't get good results.

I spend a lot of my spare time reading threads on form and watching all of seabass22, loopghost and Shawn clements videos. At this point I think I'm in information overload and just need to be told what specifically to work on. I have a problem of trying to work on everything at once which never works out well. I get the weight shift but have a problem applying it when actually throwing.

For distances, I can throw putters 220 pretty consistently, sometimes hitting 250+ but drivers cap out at 300. Sometimes more but usually around 300. I don't throw over a 9 speed and usually 6 or 7 speeds.

I've posted a side view link and a behind view, along with a terrible attempt at the windmill drill.. Also have more videos on my YouTube of past sessions.

https://youtu.be/KWawBhv1oSY
https://youtu.be/GxIeeJWXSaU
https://youtu.be/dm4vu_u5xjs
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts

Looks like your stance is staggered too closed and trying to pull across on a straight line. Your shoulders are open before you start extending your elbow, which should be closed shoulders and pushing disc out away form chest in wide arc. If you want to hammer a nail into wall sideways your shoulders should be closed. Shoulders only open up/followthru if the wall is not there to absorb energy from hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

You are leaning back too much in x-step and hitting wall with head behind you(hershyzer 2) and kicking the wall in front of you before hips driven forward into wall(hershyzer). Your stride is wonky and unnatural. Leaning back might feel powerful, but trying to shift extra weight back is counterproductive. Your weight is already back automatically in x-step as you have to move forward into the plant. Lean targetward going into x-step - athletic move and then turn back going into plant. Just like walking or running normally - you lean more targetward to move faster to destination.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:10 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome ill focus on these. I watched the Simon form critique when I first started and just put my foot out far because he did and developed real bad muscle memory with it. Been trying to break that. Also notice when I plant my foot I straighten my back out and tend to throw a lot of anhyzers then. I'll focus on leaning forward more.

Any tips on trying to keep the shoulders closed? Further reach back or resist turning with the core? Some nice days coming up for field work
Old 05-18-2020, 02:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 226
Niced 3,948 Times in 2,407 Posts

Shift forward before you start swinging. Don't try to rotate the shoulder open, but swing it forward closed in pendulum.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM

Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

Watch Ricky get his back to the target. They all do that. Then the first motion after/during the lead foot plant is a hip torque. They all do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwYvav4xCR8

I'm in the process of watching this Ricky video every day, over and over. His throwing motion makes the most sense to me of all the top pros. I like how he throws/pushes/torques his entire upper torso back around for the reach back, not just his arm. Then, like all of them, a hip torque during the plant is how they start the swing forward. I break it down and devise my own drills to mimic his motion and timing. To save time and energy and gasoline, I throw into a net and video when I think i'm making progress on my drills and net throwing. Then after days of this, i'll do some field work, to keep it real, see what the effects of my net work are.