Old 07-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Is this happening in your area?

There are many players out in this DG Land who just want to play disc golf and not worry about any issues like rules and regulations, competition, or even standards. Then a small percentage actually strive to play well, obey the PDGA Rules, and compete.
As a player I have a competitive background who loves the competition and practices to get better. However, locally I am faced with many players who are frustrated and just want to play disc golf and party.
I for one have no problem with the relaxed disc golf........that is what the local mini events are all about right? I was just recently told that most of the players here just want to play disc golf and care less about the competition, but want to start running quality events..........?? Kind of contradictory there. A small local group of players are highly frustrated that I have switched from running Southern National events to just PDGA events. Saying "Quality events are Southern Nationals events"
I have negative issues for PDGA as well, but hey its the best we have for now. What are the players in your area asking for?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Par Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just played a round.....

I was tied for 1st with somebody else and we were playing blue tee's.

We got to the 18th hole and half the group wanted to play from both red and blue pads

I declined and Said I would only play 1 shot .... Everybody got annoyed by me???

Wtf some people are just weird.

I won ctp on the playoff hole and people were acting all mad.

Point of the story... Just follow the rules, if they don't want 2 don't play with them.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,478 Times in 1,516 Posts

There is a wide spectrum of disc golfers, even within a PDGA or SN event or local mini. Some are always more competitive or serious or both.

I suspect few areas have the conflict you're encountering, on the outer edges of SN-Land. Around here, virtually all events are PDGA sanctioned. There's not a lot of call for more laid-back (party) formats for tournaments; tournament players expect tournament standards.

I'd state that those who don't, aren't interested in playing tournaments. Of course, since no one's offered a rules-casual tournament experience, maybe we're just missing out on them.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Coming from a ball golf background this is identical to ball golf problem. You are playing for a small amount of money and all of a sudden some one pulls a foot wedge. WAIT, are we playing by the rules or not.

Personally I just go with the flow, if they are having fun I'm not going to get all anal. BUT, Ill remember

Your situation on the 18th. I would have stood my ground like you. MY game, I play how I want to. They were probably mad because it showed them you were a more serious player then they were.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

We have the problem here of people wanting sanctioned tourneys locally, and yet most of the players that do play the sanctioned tourneys are from out of town. We have this weird dynamic of good players that won't even travel to Denver (60 miles) to play a sanctioned tournament (or any tournament) but then try to insist we should have A-Tiers locally. We don't have a lot of sanctioned in the state (compared to back east). It's frustrating.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

My input for what would be a great year schedule for a local club (of moderate size or greater with other clubs within traveling distance)

A. 6-8 small events with scorecards (could be similar to what many are referring to minis)
Some, a handfull, or all of these could be low level sanctioned, or not. But score is taken, thus a level of formal competitiveness (fairness, cheating protection) goes with them. Maybe they are linked in a points series as a side feature.

B. 1-2 events as pure charity fundraisers. Food banks (eg. Ice Bowl) or Thankgiving dubs (can drive), etc, etc. Scorecards may be used, or maybe not. more likely to be uncoventional funsies.

C. Every club should aspire to one "Big" event. This could rise to B, A tier trajectory. This is the one you pull out all the connections and promotions for. Handshaking and sponsor gathering, getting out local press releases. Oh yes, this means that you are trying to draw regional players, traveling talent, thus usually needing more cash added, thus higher entry fees, thus higher effort level to run - and the local leadership may not be able to actually play this one themselves as they are now working the event. So this one becomes the high level event that is reputation building and is attended by some local members but increasingly more by outsiders.

ok, so we see that A,B,C could be attended by many of the same players, but each category is very different in feel, costs, awards, tone. Players drawn to A style are served well, and likely at easy going entry fees and flavor. Players that only like smiles and chuckles golf are served well by the fundraisers B. And the club serves the "upwardly progressing competition fix" tourney player by hosting that one large C "Big event". With most clubs doing the same by doing one "big event" this player hits the road to get their fix. (they become the traveling regional player visiting each clubs "big one")

It can be hard as part of a club leadership to know how to best serve the sport in your area. In our area, we constantly have to remember that there are about 2-3k people who play disc golf on our courses. About 200-300 come to at least one of our sign-in events. (10%) , and about 20-30 of those are hard core (by intent, not by skill necessarily) "players" who are pushing for serious layouts, and small time gambling "manly" challenges (1%).

and we have to keep in mind that that last 1% are players who by nature will always come out to play regardless of structure. They can't help it.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,478 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCTour View Post
A small local group of players are highly frustrated that I have switched from running Southern National events to just PDGA events. Saying "Quality events are Southern Nationals events"
Out of curiosity---in what way to they claim Southern National events are "higher quality"? I can understand if they prefer SN for less stringent rules (alcohol?), or lower fees for non-PDGA members, or other reasons.....but what do they find to be of higher quality?

Any reason you can't sanction as both SN and PDGA? Other than the extra $2 per player it would cost?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 36
Niced 13 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Hill View Post
My input for what would be a great year schedule for a local club (of moderate size or greater with other clubs within traveling distance)

A. 6-8 small events with scorecards (could be similar to what many are referring to minis)
Some, a handfull, or all of these could be low level sanctioned, or not. But score is taken, thus a level of formal competitiveness (fairness, cheating protection) goes with them. Maybe they are linked in a points series as a side feature.

B. 1-2 events as pure charity fundraisers. Food banks (eg. Ice Bowl) or Thankgiving dubs (can drive), etc, etc. Scorecards may be used, or maybe not. more likely to be uncoventional funsies.

C. Every club should aspire to one "Big" event. This could rise to B, A tier trajectory. This is the one you pull out all the connections and promotions for. Handshaking and sponsor gathering, getting out local press releases. Oh yes, this means that you are trying to draw regional players, traveling talent, thus usually needing more cash added, thus higher entry fees, thus higher effort level to run - and the local leadership may not be able to actually play this one themselves as they are now working the event. So this one becomes the high level event that is reputation building and is attended by some local members but increasingly more by outsiders.
I'd add a D -- pure fun events like Birdie Bashes and Ace Races, whether they are the official ones or not. Something gimmicky that might attract people who want to check this disc golf thing out, but never have and haven't a clue how to go about it. It's something that parents could take their kids to (and could be marketed as a family event).
Old 07-06-2013, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 291 Times in 132 Posts

I play disc golf to have fun and to get better, I don't care if I am better than other players or worse.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 27 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCTour View Post
There are many players out in this DG Land who just want to play disc golf and not worry about any issues like rules and regulations, competition, or even standards.
These people are not playing disc golf. They are just having fun in a park throwing around discs. Playing the sport of disc golf means you are following the rules of the sport.