Old 01-31-2020, 12:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 334
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 420 Times in 205 Posts

i haven't played Canyons but Ozark Mountain was 3 great courses in one day for me. such a bummer i never got to make it back there.

i did Kaposia, Rollin Ridge, and Flip on back to back to back days. that's probably my highest quality stretch ever. i also did Bailey and Beaver Ranch on the same road trip. those 2 were also back to back days.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 58
Niced 261 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDABRUSH View Post
That's why I had to mention it, I don't usually look at the post count anymore...... or any count for that matter. Plus I hadn't visited the site in about a week so what are the odds? The only course counts I occasionally glance at is Danhyzer for his approach to 2000 and Pizza God on his hard slog to 1000. PG has driven well over 100,000 miles bagging those courses. Not to sell any of you short that have bagged over 100 and had to do a lot of driving to do so. Some of us don't live in an area that has 50 courses within 50 miles..
I forgot that I also check MartainDews course count from time to time. Just to see if he's back to course bagging. If you are new enough to this site that you have never seen him in course bagging mode, then you just can't comprehend the rate at which he bags them. Never seen anything like it since. I remember the Mashnut was almost keeping pace with him, for just a brief moment.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:13 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,527 Times in 1,617 Posts

Courses better than Canyons I've hit on a single trip:
1. Hobbs Farm + Harmon Hills + Langley Pond
2. Flip + Beast + Leviathan
3. IDGC + Flyboy
4. Renny +Hornets Nest + Nevin + Brackets Bluff Orig

You could even make cases for:
... Idlewild + Lincoln Ridge + Mt Airy + Osage Grove
... Moraine + Deer Lakes + Knob Hill+ Muddy Hill
... Bryant Lake + BRP + VisionQuest + Kaposia
...but each of those last 3 groupings has at least one course that many would feel isn't quite as good as Canyons, and I wouldn't really argue it.

Don't get me wrong: Canyons is an excellent course, solidly a 4.25... a bit better than most excellent courses. But there are plenty of courses that are even better. Anyone who thinks it's one of the very best in the country needs to take more/better road trips. You might even say they have plenty to look forward to.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-31-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 428
Niced 987 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Courses better than Canyons I've hit on a single trip:
1. Hobbs Farm + Harmon Hills + Langley Pond
2. Flip + Beast + Leviathan
3. IDGC + Flyboy
4. Renny +Hornets Nest + Nevin + Brackets Bluff Orig

You could even make cases for:
... Idlewild + Lincoln Ridge + Mt Airy + Osage Grove
... Moraine + Deer Lakes + Knob Hill+ Muddy Hill
... Bryant Lake + BRP + VisionQuest + Kaposia
...but each of those last 3 groupings has at least one course that many would feel isn't quite as good as Canyons, and I wouldn't really argue it.

Don't get me wrong: Canyons is an excellent course, solidly a 4.25... a bit better than most excellent courses. But there are plenty of courses that are even better. Anyone who thinks it's one of the very best in the country needs to take more/better road trips. You might even say they have plenty to look forward to.
Did you play all 27 holes at Canyons? and how long ago was it? From what i've read, they've put a lot of work on the course in the last couple of years. I'd be willing to bet that if you dated the course again you'd up it a mini (0.2 discs ). It is also a different style then many that you listed. so there's that.

of what we've both played - ranked in my personal order
Idlewild, Hobbs, Jackson, Flyboy, Canyons, Headrick, Langley, Harmon, Warner

Last edited by wellsbranch250; 01-31-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:11 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,527 Times in 1,617 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 View Post
Did you play all 27 holes at Canyons? and how long ago was it?
Played all 27 holes on 10/29/2017. Mostly shorts, but some intermediate tees. Can't say how much the course has changed since then, cuz I haven't been back. FWIW, I'm playing around with my courses played list in Excel to see if I can honestly assess/reassess my ratings in .25 increments (even for courses I didn't review), to see if sorting them accurately ranks them how playing them "felt" to me. Don't know how great it'll turn out, but I'll see. I might make progress on that next time the weather sux.

Of the courses you listed, I'd put Flyboy a notch up on the others, and Canyons a notch below, with the rest falling in the middle... but we have to allow for personal preferences. I enjoyed the hell out of Flyboy... but it's hard to tell how much was the thrill/hype of getting to play it. Pretty sure it was ranked #1 at the time, and Kelly had Tim RIP it about a week after I played. Trying to be more objective about it, I remember several visually stunning holes, some really fun, innovative features, and great water holes (perhaps they could have been more accommodating to noodle arms), and just wonderfully designed holes throughout.

Considering I pass it on my way to FL, I really have to play Idlewild again.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 01-31-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 382
Niced 266 Times in 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefedora View Post
I had to think about if I had played 3 better courses in the same day. Devin's, salmon falls, and 501 was a good day. HBH Gold, blueberry, and granite would be close. Hell the three courses at four mounds is close. But really what I realized is that it's not common to have more than 2 canyon quality courses in a day. Canyons is a really good course. Any course that has more than a handful of (DGCR) reviews that say 4.0 or better is gonna be at least a gooder.
Four Mound doesn't get half the credit it should. Pretty special place. And thinking back to that trip, in 6 days we hit Hornings, Four Mound, Farragut, and Bohart(only had 2 courses). That's a solid set of complexes. Could even argue to include Diamond X since you have to play 2 18-hole rounds to play the full 36.

And yeah, the Devin's General, Salmon Falls, 501 was probably a top 10 DG day in my life. We also played Pyramids that day as well, no?

Niced: (2)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 428
Niced 987 Times in 329 Posts

I played Canyons, Flyboy and Idlewild all within two months of each other. I found Flyboy and Idlewild to have a lot of similarities, being both epic sprawling courses with lots of multi-play holes and unparalleled variety. Flyboy lacks polish and the equipment upgrades of Idlewild. Idlewild also has a hair more pro caliber exhilarating lines imo. I rated Idlewild a good 1/4 point higher than Flyboy.

Canyons would fall short to both Flyboy and Idlewild based on variety and skill level demands. But’s it’s just so much more polished and just as beautiful. I’m still reliving the tee shots on 4 and 8d and 18. Blue lines 2, 7, 16 and are also exhilarating to throw.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 449
Niced 118 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentjacobs View Post
Four Mound doesn't get half the credit it should. Pretty special place. And thinking back to that trip, in 6 days we hit Hornings, Four Mound, Farragut, and Bohart(only had 2 courses). That's a solid set of complexes. Could even argue to include Diamond X since you have to play 2 18-hole rounds to play the full 36.

And yeah, the Devin's General, Salmon Falls, 501 was probably a top 10 DG day in my life. We also played Pyramids that day as well, no?
We sure did play both pyramids courses that day

Old 01-31-2020, 01:47 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.2
Courses Played: 704
Niced 1,994 Times in 882 Posts

Here are two things where Canyons could improve, and for Sean's pro shop, be more profitable, that have nothing to do with any hole designs: routing and breaking into two courses, an 18 and a 9 with two tees on each hole making it feel like an 18 (see Brockway and Red Oak in Twin Cities). With regard to routing, all you need to do is look at the course map to see the big and sometimes non-intuitive transitions in the routing.

The current routing is not necessarily what the designers would have wanted but what they were forced to do (from what I understand) based on Park Dept restrictions as the course evolved. They did the best they could under the circumstances. But looking at the current 27 version from a top level design standpoint, the routing would not be rated as high as the hole design quality IMO.

With regard to 27-hole courses, I'm thinking the tide is shifting in terms of more holes than say 21 on a course being better than two layouts both from a marketing standpoint for sites trying to boost traffic for sales and for players who don't want to feel like they need to always take to the time to play a full 27 to have "officially" played the course, even if they have the option to play 27 from the shortest tees. For people who want to play after work and can only get in 18, they probably go to other courses than a 27. People taking a lunch break or at a picnic, especially newbies, more likely to play a 9-holer that feels like a complete round experience, especially if the pro shop posts course records for different course configs, gender and age ranges.

With a cooperative Park Dept, perhaps most of the routing issues could simultaneously be solved by breaking into an 18 and 9x2 with perhaps only a few holes that need to be reversed or inserted to make it work. The existing base of avid players who like the 27 will still have at least 27 to play if they wish but more and newer players overall are likely to play a course or two there.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 415
Niced 676 Times in 347 Posts

They really need a bridge to get to the holes across the creek. It's a pain and actually kind of dangerous if the creek is high. We "portaged" over it last year but it was sketchy. I wasn't going to be denied after getting rained out the year before though.