Old 10-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 822 Times in 372 Posts
Default Houston TX - Glow Rounds & Easy Pelt Suggestions

I'm going to be in Houston next month for some work-related training. I'd like to squeeze in a few rounds of disc golf. Looking at my schedule, I'll have about an hour free at sunrise each day, and a similar timeframe at sunset.

So my questions:

1.) What courses could I navigate solo, with available maps & signage, in 1 hour or less? (And yes, I realize that requirement probably precludes a lot of the best courses in the area. But some disc golf is still better than no disc golf.)

2.) Are there any courses that I could play after sunset? Either regular glow rounds/leagues, or else courses that are well lit and safe enough to play at night?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 60 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowBot View Post
I'm going to be in Houston next month for some work-related training. I'd like to squeeze in a few rounds of disc golf. Looking at my schedule, I'll have about an hour free at sunrise each day, and a similar timeframe at sunset.

So my questions:

1.) What courses could I navigate solo, with available maps & signage, in 1 hour or less? (And yes, I realize that requirement probably precludes a lot of the best courses in the area. But some disc golf is still better than no disc golf.)

2.) Are there any courses that I could play after sunset? Either regular glow rounds/leagues, or else courses that are well lit and safe enough to play at night?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
The 1 hour or less is going to be heavily dependent on what area of town you are going to be in. Many courses will be over one hour depending on where you are.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

They are putting in a new lighted course in Alvin, TX. I think it should be in by the time you get here. Will be playable in the dark.

http://www.alvinsun.net/news/article...beca9c31e.html

Niced: (2)
Old 10-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Cool! Thanks for the tip; hopefully I can check that out.

I'll be staying and training in the Jersey Village area, so probably targeting some of the shorter nearby courses.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM
Double Eagle Member

Agnes Moffitt is the first one that comes to mind. One of Houston's oldest and most popular disc golf courses. Lots of leagues and possibly glow rounds when you come in. Easy to navigate and play.

Texas Army Trails is a great challenging course that is well maintained. First four holes are in the open, rest are in the woods. May be difficult to play the woods in the dark. I am not sure when they open/close the gate to the parking lot.

Oak Meadow Park is another great challenging course that is well maintained. However, it is private and you would need to go with a resident. I am a resident and depending on the day/time might be able to go with you. Bonus is that we could take my golf cart and move a little faster.

TC Jester: I have only played it a couple of times. It would probably fit what you are looking for. Biggest question would be drive time and traffic to get there.

Zube: Nice well maintained open course that is easy to follow. Might be too far away for you.

Other Nearby Courses:

White Oak Bandit: Plays in neighborhood that was abandoned after too many floods. Only thing left are the streets (houses and foundations were demolished). Little challenging to navigate. Playability depends on when it was last mowed, which is not often.

White Oak CC: Plays on an old golf course. Was once a great course, but it hardly gets mowed anymore. Playability depends on when it was last mowed.

Windwood: Built by a church on their property. Was once a great course, but last time I played, they had let the maintenance go. Not sure how playable it is now.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Awesome, thanks for the detailed info!