Old 01-03-2020, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.7
Courses Played: 146
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 453 Times in 194 Posts

I just said "F it" and put our actual address in the course info. We have a goofy address that has caused me a lot of headaches every damn time I have an open day because people's phones give them crappy directions.

Previously I had the coordinates for the closest exit ramp on I-71 and would give folks directions when they contacted me.

I really, really don't want unannounced/unplanned for visitors so here's to hoping people understand how reservations work.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2020, 05:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,350 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnocentCrook View Post
I just said "F it" and put our actual address in the course info. We have a goofy address that has caused me a lot of headaches every damn time I have an open day because people's phones give them crappy directions.

Previously I had the coordinates for the closest exit ramp on I-71 and would give folks directions when they contacted me.

I really, really don't want unannounced/unplanned for visitors so here's to hoping people understand how reservations work.
The address at Hawk Hollow is wonky with nav as well so i tend to direct people to use the church next door.

My (non-local) unannounced player count is probably 10 or fewer per year. Instructions on this site say to contact me more than one day in advance. HH spends so much time closed that people are wary I believe.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,695 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

We pretty much solved it with a tactful "no trespassing" sign at the start of our driveway. It says something like:

SAULS
We welcome you, but ask that you please respect our homes and land. Entry, including to the disc golf course, is by advance reservation only.

We deliberately didn't put our phone number on it, so people don't just immediately call and defeat the purpose. Cell service is bad but a few people have backtracked up the road, looked us up, and called for permission.

It's pretty well cut out the unannounced visitors.

My ongoing task is to do something about Google, who put us on their maps, and whom I've been trying to get to amend our listing, before I result to telling them to remove it.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
One thing you're fighting is all the strange places that courses get listed. You can put warnings on DGCR and the PDGA and UDisc. But some people use some very off-the-wall websites and apps, some of which scraped their info from who-knows-where, and are difficult or impossible to get to modify them. The longer you're around, the bigger the problem.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
One thing you're fighting is all the strange places that courses get listed. You can put warnings on DGCR and the PDGA and UDisc. But some people use some very off-the-wall websites and apps, some of which scraped their info from who-knows-where, and are difficult or impossible to get to modify them. The longer you're around, the bigger the problem.
yep- I personally have never listed my course anywhere. I gave someone permission to list it on this site. It found its way to all the other spots on its own. I update this site when it is closed but do not bother with the rest.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
My ongoing task is to do something about Google, who put us on their maps, and whom I've been trying to get to amend our listing, before I result to telling them to remove it.
I have been trying to get stuff about HH changed on Google for years with never a peep heard back.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
We pretty much solved it with a tactful "no trespassing" sign at the start of our driveway. It says something like:

SAULS
We welcome you, but ask that you please respect our homes and land. Entry, including to the disc golf course, is by advance reservation only.
I might just have to do something similar to your sign. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to be a jerk about it and send someone packing. Or worse, come home to some random person(s) out on the course somewhere.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
The address at Hawk Hollow is wonky with nav as well so i tend to direct people to use the church next door.

My (non-local) unannounced player count is probably 10 or fewer per year. Instructions on this site say to contact me more than one day in advance. HH spends so much time closed that people are wary I believe.
Honestly, 1 would be too many for my taste.

We did add a second address to our property since there's 2 homes on it. I don't think it's registered yet with Google and the like but I'm hoping that using that address in the future clears up the nav challenges.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
I might just have to do something similar to your sign. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to be a jerk about it and send someone packing. Or worse, come home to some random person(s) out on the course somewhere.
Sooner or later, you realize someone's been on your property without your knowing it. Or someone drives up at an inconvenient time. Or you think you're alone and you walk up on someone. Or your wife's home with the kids, and you don't want her to have to worry about the strangers on the property.

The tricky thing was wording the sign as tactfully as possible. If people drive this far and get turned around, I feel bad, but I really wish they'd check their online guides more carefully.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 330
Niced 2,655 Times in 1,271 Posts

Most course owners I've met have been quite accommodating and simply want their guests to enjoy the experience.

But courtesy works both ways. Showing up to someone's residence without making prior arrangements is just plain rude. They obviously didn't consider your feelings. You shouldn't be all that concerned about theirs.

Anyone who shows up at a residential private course unannounced and gets turned away, basically earned it.